One week in, high deficit, no weight loss

Options
Hey guys, I'm not too worried about my weight loss right now as I have just started so my answer can be as simple as water fluctuations however I'm a little confused as to why no weight has come off with the deficit that I'm at.

I have my app set to losing 1kg per week and usually end the day with about 600 calories left before the daily deficit goal (I don't starve my self, have plenty of energy from the food I eat) however if I did the maths correctly, I created a deficit of about 8500-9000 calories in the last seven days with my weight still being in the same spot or like .1kg lower.

Is this something that is regular for beginners?

Oh and in case your wondering how I'm getting this high of a deficit in (if it is high, I'm not too sure really), I'm currently at 146kg so I can comfortably cut my intake by up to 1500-2000 calories and still feel good.

Thanks guys

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    A 9000 calorie deficit is pretty insane unless you are 200+ lbs, extremely active and starving yourself.

Generally, weight loss is not linear and you need to patient.
  • nicholerohrer
    nicholerohrer Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Despite the large deficit, I think you'll still need more time to start seeing anything. Like you said, fluctuations, bowel movements, water retention, etc... trust the process! :)
  • pawel3535
    pawel3535 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Despite the large deficit, I think you'll still need more time to start seeing anything. Like you said, fluctuations, bowel movements, water retention, etc... trust the process! :)

I'll keep on grinding, thank you for the response

• medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yeah it can certainly take a while to see results. Generally I'm pretty "spurty" in that I'll stay the same general weight for a while, then suddenly drop.

Keep on doing what you're doing! Eventually you'll have a day where you're in the bathroom more than usual, and your next weigh in will be quite surprising!
  • pawel3535
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    One theory is that fat cells get filled with water once the fat inside them is burned. The water eventually filters out, but it delays results on the scale.

I assume the rate of that starts to drop after a few weeks and the fat starts coming of regularly (granted that I continue doing what I'm doing now) where I'll see steady results for a good bit of time until my deficit no longer gets the job done right?
  • pawel3535
    Options
    medic2038 wrote: »
    Yeah it can certainly take a while to see results. Generally I'm pretty "spurty" in that I'll stay the same general weight for a while, then suddenly drop.

Keep on doing what you're doing! Eventually you'll have a day where you're in the bathroom more than usual, and your next weigh in will be quite surprising!

I look forward to that, it can be a real bummer to feel how hard you are working on something and not seeing the weight come of, the time will come!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Keep going. The weight loss game involves a learning curve.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    A 9000 calorie deficit is pretty insane unless you are 200+ lbs, extremely active and starving yourself.

OP is 321 pounds. 9,000 calories per week of deficit would result in a 0.8% of body weight per week rate of loss.

I didn't mention anything about how much weight the OP would lose.

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    pawel3535 wrote: »
    One theory is that fat cells get filled with water once the fat inside them is burned. The water eventually filters out, but it delays results on the scale.

I assume the rate of that starts to drop after a few weeks and the fat starts coming of regularly (granted that I continue doing what I'm doing now) where I'll see steady results for a good bit of time until my deficit no longer gets the job done right?

I've found that even though the process is steady, the results can be far from it, and far from predictable, unless you look at long-term trend. The water fluctuation alone is an impossible process to fully regulate. It's just part of the process. So be prepared not to assume anything in the short term - and to not make rash decisions in the short-term either.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,255 Member
    Options

That's interesting... I remember that the first couple of weeks of The New Regime, when I was on an insane deficit (I skirted anorexic thinking; definitely not advised), I was really, really thirsty the whole time. Definitely not hungry, definitely thirsty. I wonder whether that was something to do with that replacement?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

This actually doesn't happen. There was a thread on this a few months back, but in short fat cells don't have the capacity to hold extra water.

Having said that, whatever the mechanism is, it does seem to work that way. I'll be 2 weeks bouncing around one weight and then drop 3-4 pound over a couple of days. I'm ~240 right now and, despite targeting 1.5 lb per week loss, I won't see it for at least another week.

I'll admit that I'm a bit surprised the OP has this happening now. When I was plus 300 the weight poured off almost daily
  • pawel3535
    Options

This actually doesn't happen. There was a thread on this a few months back, but in short fat cells don't have the capacity to hold extra water.

Having said that, whatever the mechanism is, it does seem to work that way. I'll be 2 weeks bouncing around one weight and then drop 3-4 pound over a couple of days. I'm ~240 right now and, despite targeting 1.5 lb per week loss, I won't see it for at least another week.

I'll admit that I'm a bit surprised the OP has this happening now. When I was plus 300 the weight poured off almost daily

I've done this weight loss thing once before (I was 300 dead on) and the weight came off very easily starting with the first week which is why I was confused why it hasn't happened this time.

I guess it's punishment for slacking off and going back up to 300+ in the space of like 6 months.

I'll keep you guys posted with when it starts to drop, one thing that most certainly isn't helping is my horrible bowel movements (can't complete in one session, need to space out 3 across the space of about 2 hours but that's an issue that I've had for ages now).
  • pawel3535
    Options
    Little update, I've created a 17000 calorie deficit since first writing this post.
    Sadly still no lost weight however I'll give it another week or two for the 3 week/ 1 month mark and I'll see whether I start burning through.
    After that I'll start doing what I did last year to first lose weight (run my *kitten* off on a treadmill for 6 days per week).
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Would you be willing to open your food journal?

How are you determining portion sizes. Are you using a food scale? Do you log as you eat or do you wait until the end of the day and try to remember? Are you logging every single day?
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    How many calories does MFP allow you to have each day? How many calories are you actually eating each day?