BB leg exercise suggesion?

Options
medic2038
medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
So I just started lifting again from a few month hiatus (MD didn't want me lifting after surgery at the end of last year). Basically most of my routines the past few years have been pretty much all compound/strength, high weight/low volume type workouts.

This time around I'm trying out a more bodybuilding oriented routine.

So anyway here's what leg day looks like...
4x12 leg extensions
4x10 low bar squats
3x12 wall squats (suggested sub was walking lunges)
4x12 leg curls

Basically I'm looking for a suggestion to substitute for the wall squat/lunges. I lift at home in my garage so I'm just having a hell of a time with the wall squats (cinder block walls), and I'm having some space problems with the walking lunges (garage).

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Front squats and Stiff legged deadlifts. Also can do lunges in place.
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Bulgarian split squats, stationary lunges, deadlifts, curtesy lunges....
  • medic2038
    Options
    Thanks, guys!
    So with some of those things (front squats, deads), is there really the same consideration with the strength routines?
    Every workout I've ever done in the past never had squats and deadlifts on the same day, but that was due to higher weight.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    A decent way to split up your leg training is having a quad-dominant day and a hamstring-dominant day. That way you can go ham on squats and deadlifts on their own days.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I like the heavy stationary lunges but can also incorporate front squats, one legged squats, good mornings, stiff legged deadlifts, barbell hip thrusts. I usually do deadlifts on back day though.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Look at Ironmind they sell what's called a hip squat belt works great for us home gym guys I use it on n off all year also like others said frount squats and farmers walks with heavy bumddells try pushed your car or truck for a distance too all work ... good luck
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Ps Dumbbell's
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Have you considered going with one of the free strength training programs? Strength 5x5/ICF 5x5?

Or if you're set on upper/body splits - Bodybuilding.com has some good workout programs if you're looking for more intensity/more exercises involved and they have programs that focus on split days.

They also have an amazing exercise database to give you ideas what exercises you might to try.
  • medic2038
    Options
    Myco, I've actually already been considering that. Was thinking of alternating squats/traditional DLs each week.

EJ, I actually have a hex bar and DO farmerwalks. It's pretty weather dependent though, so I didn't want to do the walking lunges outside too. Basically I didn't want too much of my workout to get screwed up due to rain/cold/etc.

I think I might give front squats, and just standing lunges a try and see what I like.

• Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Maybe skip the leg extensions, they're a little bit risky on the old ACL.

Bulgarian split squats instead of lunges, IMO
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I do deadlift/squat combinations at the same time but only once a week.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    Maybe skip the leg extensions, they're a little bit risky on the old ACL.

Bulgarian split squats instead of lunges, IMO

I think leg extensions are fine as long as you aren't trying to go heavy on them and just use them as an accessory lift.