Getting a 6 Pack

Options
Hello everyone!

I'm very proud to take some action after a long time and I would like to lose some belly fat and get a 6 pack. I've joined the gym (again) like a week ago and I've installed few apps on my phone.

Firstly I don't have a diet. I'm almost 19 yrs old and I'm just eating "less" and I'm watching what I'm eating (only good food, not anymore junk food). To be honest I don't think I was eating junk food, drinking so much juice and sitting all day on a chair so that wasn't the problem for me.

So, right now I'm watching my calories with myfitnesspal and I'm only eating 1590 calories daily (here to be honest I always weight how much I'm eating, search for the most accurate thing and so on). In the end of the day (with or without gym) I think I always have something between 300-600 calories remaining (I'm not eating so much, not because I want to lose weight but this is me, and now I guess because I'm watching the calories and go to the gym I can lose weight).

For the gym I'm doing like 30 to 40 minutes of cardio (any tipe of exercise, 10 mins + 5 mins mins pause). I'm losing like 300-400 calories at gym. I also have S Health on my phone and I pretty walk much everyday ( 300-600 calories just from walking). Anyway, those are just some numbers and nothing is exactly.

Before I've started the gym I had like 67.x kg and now after 1 week I have 65.0 kg! So I've lost like ~2 kg in one week.

Right now I have 83 cm (waist). I'm kinda skinny to be honest but I only have this belly fat which I'm struggling to lose it. I know if you eat right, have a diet (or just some caloric deficit) you can lose weight easily + the gym.

I also have some apps on my phone (30 day fitness challenge, Caynax A6W and Abs - 7 minute) and I'm working in the gym every 2-3 days my ab.

I know you can't see any results after 1 week. All I can see is that I'm losing weight but I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I know if you want to lose belly fat I should eat less, go to the gym and just lose weight but I'm feeling like I'm going to have so much less weight that it's normal for my age and maybe the belly fat will be still there.

Any ideas on how I should lose my belly fat, gain some muscles and get a 6 pack?

Thank you!

Replies

• cbtebb
    cbtebb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You've got the right idea but I would recommend a couple things.

You're only eating ~1600 calories daily and going to the gym, this is way too low and the body weight you lose will shoot back on as soon as you have any kind of mildly cheat meal. If you starve the body it will store any fats you eat so the first point would be to eat more daily. It's definitely hard especially when you don't want to but without the right calorie intake to begin with you'll just flake out. You should ideally be consuming in the ball park of 2500 calories and then your calorific deficit comes into play when you burn off those calories in the gym.

Secondly, make sure you're training everything in the gym and get a good balance of exercise on all your muscle groups, too many people think that focusing training their abs will get them the 6-pack, but no matter how many sit-ups you do it won't appear on its own. Also, by training the other areas you'll put on more muscle, and more muscle mass can be linked to increase rate of weight loss based on the amount of maintenance they need.

A slightly different note but nonetheless related is that body fat is burnt off from your body uniformly in all areas. What I mean by this is that by focusing training any one area (for instance, abs) you won't just lose weight there, it will come off of everywhere else as well. This being said, in men especially (can't speak for ladies), the stomach fat is usually last to go. So it's not something you can expect without some serious training in the gym and a strict diet at home. However, it is very much attainable with the right dedication.

I personally find no benefit in apps for training, but if they help you stay focused and dedicated then keep at it.

I'm sure someone might find slight faults in my approach in which case I'll gladly be corrected, but that's my best advice. Best of luck bud and don't be a stranger.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1) Eat all the calories MFP gives you (at a minimum)
    2) Lift weights
    3) Be patient