Injury and Exercise

Options
Ok so I've been exercising since Jan - 4 day a week for about 45 minutes and walking on my lunch hour for about 20 minutes 4 - 5 days a week. I love it and feel so much better. Two weeks ago I injured my knee/leg and have not stopped my workouts just worked through it. My leg was feeling better, so one day I did a stupid thing and went into a sprint. Well, I've reinjured my leg. I feel like I can't stop working out and feel bad when I don't give it my all. Am I over-doing things??
I have 4 weeks for my knee to feel better. I have my daughter's wedding that I need to wear heels to. I guess I should mention I'm at the point where It hurts just walking around the office . I might have just answered my own inquiry ......

Thanks
Sophie

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    GET IT CHECKED.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    get in a pool - there are a lot of exercises you can do there to continue exercising
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You need to get it checked out...and you shouldn't be working an injury as you are likely to due further damage and/or prolong your recovery in general.

Injury comes with the territory and you're going to have to figure out how to deal with it.

Also, not every training bout should be an all out sufferfest...those should actually be pretty minimal...you're overdoing it.
  • slider728
    slider728 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    As everyone said, get it checked.

Most likely, the Dr is going to tell you not to use it.

When the Dr says that, start asking what you can do and list some options (like a stationary bike, elliptical, swimming) based on what is available to you. Work with your Dr to figure out what you can do and how far you should push yourself.

DON'T do like I did and stop exercising. You will probably gain weight like I did (hopefully you don't) and worse yet, you'll lose a lot if not all the physical and cardiovascular gains you have worked hard for.
  • Rchin4thestarz
    Rchin4thestarz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sophie let me share this.... If one injures themselves to the point where the pain is above their pain tolerance or where they cannot bend or lay their knee out straight then there is a issue...I suspect all that I've just listed including the pain after your "sprint" applies here.... We all want to loose the weight quickly but by getting injured its a sign tha we need to listen to our bodies ....Please see your doc... He/she may refer you to a ortho and yep there may be xrays involved but follow thru or it will only get aggrivated or injured more than what it is now...
  • neilhoopy
    neilhoopy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Go and see a physio
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree that you answered your own question.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    See a physio
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It's not worth risking it and not being able to stand at your daughters wedding let alone wear heels.
  • cupcakes8kr
    cupcakes8kr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. I guess deep down inside I knew the answers I would get, you all just verified it for me. Thanks again