Protein Powder

Options
I don't use it.... I don't have it. I DO have ground flaxseed .... Lol.

Anyway.. .I am looking to make some smoothie recipes and a lot of them call for protein powder. So what can I add instead? One such recipe is this:
http://fitfoodiefinds.com/2013/06/peanut-butter-and-jelly-protein-smoothie/

It calls for a vanilla protein powder... So maybe a dash of vanilla extract? Any ideas will be helpful!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    The protein powder in smoothies is to bump up the protein content as without it they are often carb and/or fat heavy... It's not necessary to use it if you aren't worried about the lack of protein...
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If you want to go the smoothie route, I would suggest buying some protein powder (or finding a recipe that uses the ground flaxseed for protein) - otherwise, you just have a glass of thin liquid sugar.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Plain or Vanilla Greek yogurt will have some good protein and make the smoothie creamier. You can also add in some extra peanut butter or PB2, chia seeds, etc... but you will lose a lot of the protein and increase the calories significantly if you do those trades. If you are not subbing in a significant protein source it isn't a protein smoothie. Flaxseed has some protein in it but nothing like a good protein powder.
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you're lot worried about protein, then you'll be fine to leave it out, just adding a little flavouring like vanilla extract where called for. That being said, it took me a long time to jump onto the protein powder bandwagon. Now that I have, I have no idea why I resisted for so long! ;)
  • aweger83
    aweger83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Waste of calories....buy protein powder.
  • aweger83
    aweger83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Will help you reach protein percentages for the day much easier and cheaper without adding extra calories.
  • CeiraDenise
    CeiraDenise Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I guess it is time to research protein powder. I have been just using ground flax seed