I didn't put myself first

Options
This was an interesting week that passed by. I was helping my husband host a bbq on Saturday, which meant a ton of cleaning and food prepping. I think we worked non-stop during our non-working hours from tuesday to friday. Combined with the heat, i missed 3 cardio workouts and 3 resistance workouts. It's like i jumped ship at the first chance of an excuse.

I was thinking about it on saturday night...the mental run down of food that mysteriously never made its way to my food diary. I started to feel guilty. And then i started to get angry.

The last 4 months i've been trying hard to put myself first. Put my energies towards something productive, something i can be proud of. It's been frustrating as hell but the rewards outshine all the aggravation.

Does anyone go through this? And then you look back and wonder/berate yourself on how you could be so weak? How you let yourself down?

I know that all i can do is go forward, take one step...and then another. I can't change the past. But if anyone has any advice to help me change this internal dialogue of mine i'd greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• amyd03
    amyd03 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i do it all the time. My kids want to do this or that Mr. wants this or that. I am so busy making sure they are happy. I have not time for the gym or i am to tierd to go to the gym. I am gonna have to learn how to just go and make them all wait. When i first started my diet i lost 20 in the first two months and have not be as commited since and that was feb/mar. i am looking forward to seeing what other have to say about over coming not putting ourself first.
  • LASH3S
    LASH3S Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have been going through the same thing this past week... been so busy with work and family - I have but my own needs on the back burner and my weight loss/motivation have suffered as a consequence. The only was for me to keep up the momentum.. is to keep working out.. it seems that as soon as i miss ONE work out... the second one is easier to miss. So the trick is to not miss that first work out? I think i need to devise a schedule.. and treat it like work.. 'sorry... i can't do that because i have a gym appointment.....' I'm interested in what others have to say that have been at it longer then i have!
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. This past weekend Mr wanted to go away in the caraven for the weekend with all the kids. It's not really my kind of thing but does involve lots of walking which is good. Friday night I was hit with a flu virus so wasn't feeling like it at all. Anyway, not feeling like cooking he went and brought FISH AND CHIPS from the chip shop on route to the caravan - I was horrified at the thought and ended up not eating at all rather than rain on their parade over it. It's so much easier at home as if I don't want to eat what they have, I just cook myself something else. Then on Saturday evening, he cooked chilli (sort of to my recipe), with turkey mince and peppers = winner. However he managed to 'forget' that I try not to eat carbs on the evening, try and fit them in breakkie and lunch, and proceeded to put the chilli in a huge yorkshire pudding which on it's own was worth over 300 calories. Again I didn't say anything, ate some of it but was left feeling hard done by. It was either break my diet plan and eat what they want or on't bother eating at all.

Next time I think I will take my own food :)
  • elaine8255
    elaine8255 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ...ugh! so frustrating! I can sympathize with both of you. It's like a snapshot of my world too.
  • elaine8255
    Options
    It was either break my diet plan and eat what they want or on't bother eating at all.

Next time I think I will take my own food :)

I find myself stuck in that situation too. Too tired/lazy to cook...too shy to refuse. =T It really re-inforces the whole time management and meal planning strategies.

I know it gets easier...i've felt when my routine is like clockwork. But it's those moments where someone's thrown something in your traintracks to derail you...you're left with no choice but to shrug it off and move forward. (LOL or at least try to convince yourself to move forward...like i'm doing right now)
  • elaine8255
    Options
    I am so busy making sure they are happy. I have not time for the gym or i am to tierd to go to the gym. I am gonna have to learn how to just go and make them all wait.

I actually asked my husband to help me get to the gym. Once i'm in there, it's great...i'm in the zone...i get my workouts done. My support buddy isn't being so supportive. It makes me wonder why i don't put my energies into my own needs considering i put so much effort into theirs.

I really hate this introspective stuff. I know its good for me but seriously...realizing you let yourself down is a feeling i'd rather not feel.
  • elaine8255
    Options
    The only was for me to keep up the momentum.. is to keep working out.. it seems that as soon as i miss ONE work out... the second one is easier to miss. So the trick is to not miss that first work out? I think i need to devise a schedule.. and treat it like work.. 'sorry... i can't do that because i have a gym appointment.....' I'm interested in what others have to say that have been at it longer then i have!

I totally agree with you. That first missed workout is so dangerous. I've actually made personal training appointments to drag me back into the gym. An expensive habit for my lack of self discipline...but it works for me (for now). I have to find (less expensive) alternatives though.
  • smcandee
    smcandee Posts: 23
    Options
    I totally relate to everyone on here. Work, kids and everything else just seems to need to come first when it comes to dieting. After the first week of my diet, I got better at planning and working my foods in with the kids. Luckily they are responding well to my healthier, low carb foods so that means less cooking and preparing for me :) Hang in there everybody