Trying to start running again

Options
Any advice is helpful. Before I had my son I ran 3 miles at least 4 days a week and ran 5ks monthly. I'm trying to get back to that and started doing couch to 5 K again (this is how I did it last time). I'm definitely 40+ lbs heavier now but when I try now within 20 to 30 seconds of the run my calves feel like they are going to explode, and it's hard to keep running (jogging). Is it something with my form, my shoes, the fact there is not a single flat street in my neighborhood and it's up hill both ways (never understood that phrase until I moved to this neighborhood)? Or maybe something else.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Maybe shoes. Were you fitted at a real running store? They should watch you run and make recommendations based on your gait.

Hills for sure. If you are not used to them they will blast your calves. Maybe do more walking than running at first until your body adapts.
  • Megansmith112712
    Megansmith112712 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Maybe shoes. Were you fitted at a real running store? They should watch you run and make recommendations based on your gait.

Hills for sure. If you are not used to them they will blast your calves. Maybe do more walking than running at first until your body adapts.

I wasn't, the closest running shop is an almost 2 hour drive. I can walk this like it's nothing with no issues, even ride my bike up it without problems.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Any advice is helpful. Before I had my son I ran 3 miles at least 4 days a week and ran 5ks monthly. I'm trying to get back to that and started doing couch to 5 K again (this is how I did it last time). I'm definitely 40+ lbs heavier now but when I try now within 20 to 30 seconds of the run my calves feel like they are going to explode, and it's hard to keep running (jogging). Is it something with my form, my shoes, the fact there is not a single flat street in my neighborhood and it's up hill both ways (never understood that phrase until I moved to this neighborhood)? Or maybe something else.

So you were pretty much running 5k.

It sounds like you may want to go to a running shop, get measured up, it's gait, stride and ankle movement they will look for. Take the 2 hour trip it will do you wonders

It sounds like the hills + added weight = sore calves.

Keep going with the training and it will come.
  • krfitmom
    krfitmom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I stop running every winter and start again around this time of year. I would mostly do 5ks but did my first 10k last September. When I first start though it feels like I'm running through mud. I, too think you should go to the running store as well.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Dazzler21 wrote: »

So you were pretty much running 5k.

It sounds like you may want to go to a running shop, get measured up, it's gait, stride and ankle movement they will look for. Take the 2 hour trip it will do you wonders

It sounds like the hills + added weight = sore calves.

Keep going with the training and it will come.

Knowing what I know now, I would absolutely drive the 2 hours. I'd probably get fitted for 2 pairs instead of 1, and I'd order replacements on Amazon with the plan to make the trip again in a couple years when the style goes out of stock
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Ballet videos barefoot great way to build endurance and tone lower legs for running. Strong feet are more adaptable to mediocre or best shoes.
  • owen1826
    owen1826 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's a combination of weight gain and not running for so long. Did you run while pregnant? I didn't run with both pregnancies and it felt so weird the first few times I ran. It takes awhile to build back to your strength. Don't worry your muscles will adapt soon.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I agree with get some better running shoes, make sure you're going sloooooow, and stretch your calves LOADS after each run.
  • Megansmith112712
    Megansmith112712 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    owen1826 wrote: »
    It's a combination of weight gain and not running for so long. Did you run while pregnant? I didn't run with both pregnancies and it felt so weird the first few times I ran. It takes awhile to build back to your strength. Don't worry your muscles will adapt soon.

I had a miscarriage with my first pregnancy so when I got pregnant again I stopped EVERYTHING