Too low calories on cut.

Options
I am a 6ft male, I started my cut by working out my maintenance and as I was 79kg it was 2500.

I began my cut 10 weeks ago at 2300 and saw initial success but as my weight loss stopped I increased cardio and dropped my calories to 2100 and 1900. I am currently 75kg and eating 1750 calories a day whilst running and doing weights 5/6 times a week.

I am getting stronger still each week as I now lift more but I know my calories are too low and now my weight loss has completely stopped.

I am looking for tips on how to overcome this, should I refeed and start my weight loss again say at 2000 calories a day with reduced cardio. Or is there other options I could take.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss will not stop from eating too few calories. How are you measuring your intake?
  • hezman3
    hezman3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    On the my fitness pal app. I eat about 170 protein 170 carbs 40-45 fat a day and I weight everything I eat.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    How long since you saw a loss? How long have you been cutting and what is your total loss so far?

That and the above question about how you are measuring your intake.
  • MrsSeager
    MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Mejorando wrote: »
    The general belief on this forum is there's no such thing as "starvation mode". I agree that your weight loss will eventually begin again if you're eating way too few calories, but there is evidence that seriously depriving yourself of calories WILL result in *slower* weight loss. This could appear to be no weight loss, depending on how often you weigh yourself. As a 6' tall male who is exercising as often as you are, I personally think 1750 calories is way too low, especially since you were successful at losing weight with a higher calorie intake. Bump your calories back up and see if your weight loss picks back up.

I'm trying higher calories this week, too, because my losses have stalled. I've lost .6 lbs already this week (!!!) and I feel hungrier, which I'm interpreting as my metabolism being more efficient and therefore burning up what I'm eating more quickly.

Yep. I was at 1350 and I didn't lose an ounce for two weeks, I bumped up my calories to 1500ish and have started losing again.
  • hezman3
    Options
    How long since you saw a loss? How long have you been cutting and what is your total loss so far?

Last saw a loss about a week ago and I've been cutting for 10 weeks with a 4.5kg total loss.

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're progressing nicely. You may want to stick it out a little longer. Not sure the time frames of your cut. I realize others don't believe this, but I've taken a small "break" from exercise (couple days) and had a "refeed" day and have seemed to blast past a plateau before. Whatever you try, definitely give it sufficient time.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You are eating low for your height but if you're stalling its more that you aren't accurately logging your food and you are eating more than you think - tighten up the logging, eat the calories that MFP gave you to lose and it will happen.
  • hezman3
    Options
    The general belief on this forum is there's no such thing as "starvation mode". I agree that your weight loss will eventually begin again if you're eating way too few calories, but there is evidence that seriously depriving yourself of calories WILL result in *slower* weight loss. This could appear to be no weight loss, depending on how often you weigh yourself. As a 6' tall male who is exercising as often as you are, I personally think 1750 calories is way too low, especially since you were successful at losing weight with a higher calorie intake. Bump your calories back up and see if your weight loss picks back up.

I'm trying higher calories this week, too, because my losses have stalled. I've lost .6 lbs already this week (!!!) and I feel hungrier, which I'm interpreting as my metabolism being more efficient and therefore burning up what I'm eating more quickly.

Thanks for the help, I will try bumping my calories back up and see how I get on with that.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    So up to now you have lost 1lb per week which is actually higher than what you calculated your cut to be which should have seen 0.5lbs per week loss. Sorry I'm working imperial by the way!

Two weeks isn't anywhere near enough time, it's perfectly normal, especially as you have just started lifting, you will be retaining water for muscle repair. So stop eating so low and have more patience.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You and I are roughly the same weight, but your calorie intake is a bit higher than mine.
    I'm about 168 (76k), and eat 1600 per day. I changed from 1700 once I hit 170lbs. 1750 would be a pretty small deficit for me (less than 500/day), and you're a few lbs lighter.

You probably need to lower your calories a bit more, not raise them. Give 1600 a try for a few weeks and see what that does.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    medic2038 wrote: »
    You and I are roughly the same weight, but your calorie intake is a bit higher than mine.
    I'm about 168 (76k), and eat 1600 per day. I changed from 1700 once I hit 170lbs. 1750 would be a pretty small deficit for me (less than 500/day), and you're a few lbs lighter.

You probably need to lower your calories a bit more, not raise them. Give 1600 a try for a few weeks and see what that does.

Except his losses to this point show his deficit is just fine, he panicked too early.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Just a comment here....as we lose weight, our rate of loss slows. That is perfectly normal and expected. A smaller person needs less fuel to perform the same activities, so if you want to continue losing at the same rate, you need to increase your activity.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    hezman3 wrote: »

Last saw a loss about a week ago and I've been cutting for 10 weeks with a 4.5kg total loss.

A week ago? That's not enough time to determine if you're at a standstill or not. Give it 5-6 weeks before you start making any changes (in my opinion).
  • celestestar
    celestestar Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    One week is definitely not enough time to determine if you are plateaued. Give it another month before changing anything, If you do find yourself plateaued, perhaps give a low carb diet a go or zig zag your calories for a while to get off the plateau. It's still early days yet