Breakfast

Options
Maybe off the topic but here goes...

Is there a difference in eating chocolate chip cookies for a kid for breakfast or ...lets say...cookie crisp?

Why are high sugar snack foods bad in the morning? Like Bill Cosby said...Cake has milk eggs etc.

My kid really likes chocolate in the morning so we do cocoa pebbles. Does anyone know of a good chocolate flavor substitute?

Thank you

-Craig

Replies

• juliedb22
    juliedb22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have not tried it but what about Nutella? Everyone says it is great. I keep meaning to buy some.
  • julietye
    julietye Posts: 3
    Options
    Have you tried Nutella? It is chocolatey and good for you. Consider spreading on toast.
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a chance to read the nutritional info yet, but there are new chocolate flavoured Cheereos and they claim that they are flavoured with natural cocoa
  • INSANITY43
    INSANITY43 Posts: 142
    Options
    Wow...I'm not a nutritionist but the "mom" in me would think that a good homemade Chocalate Chip cookie would be heathier than COOKIE CRISP! My kids (grown now) would never eat those....However my 18 year old daughter could live on cocoa crispies/cocoa pebble/Reeses Puffs though :-) If I had my kids to raise over ...I would skip alot of the cold cereals....get them hooked on healthier breakfasts/foods and calm their chocolate craving with a glass of chocolate milk!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    As a former teacher, I BEG you to feed your child something with protein instead of sugar in the morning. It's incredibly frustrating to have the kids show up all hyper on a sugar high and then crash halfway through the morning & be unable to concentrate on anything 'til after lunch.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Nutella? It is chocolatey and good for you. Consider spreading on toast.

Nutella is indeed chocolatey, but it is not good for you.

Those high sugar breakfast cereals are unhealthy at any time of day. Annie's has a few sweet cereals, including a cocoa and vanilla one, with no artificial ingredients and much less sugar than the big brands. They have a store locator on their site: www.annies.com
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If the child is a chocoholic (which I can relate to!) try making a chocolate or chocolate-chip pancake but serving with a slice of bacon or a sausage patty. Putting chocolate protein powder in the pancake batter would be a nice sneaky way to make it healthier, too. Also try peanut butter with chocolate on toast. Or make it a reward: if you eat all your healthy scrambled eggs, I'll give you half of a Hershey's square. Just, like I said, make sure and include something that will provide long-lasting energy instead of a sugar rush & crash.
  • carmcd
    carmcd Posts: 115
    Options
    I love chocolate in the morning also, nutella on whole wheat waffles are so good and I usually have chocolate cheerios with almondmilk! I like the chocolate cheerios because they are not too chocolate-y so I don't feel like Im having candy for breakfast :)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    As one person stated, they now make chocolate cherrios. Or what about the chocolate chunk special k?

My 4 year old LOVES cereal. In fact, he eats it twice a day (breakfast and snack) but I won't buy him the sugary stuff. He gets a glass of Nesquik Chocolate, No Sugar Added milk with breakfast though! Thankfully he likes Kix, cherrios, raisin bran, mini wheats, etc...
  • bcolburn289
    Options
    What about stirring some cocoa powder into a bowl of oatmeal? The dark chocolate powder has a really strong chocolately flavor!
  • bcolburn289
    Options
    or, ooooh, the dark chocoate vitatop muffins (freezer section) are DELICIOUS. Lots of good stuff in there, and BIG chocolate flavor! You could serve that in addition to some sort of protein.
  • cstower40
    cstower40 Posts: 2
    Options
    :smile: