Weight Lifting for Beginners For Weightloss

Options
After losing 60 lbs, I am ready to incorporate weight training in order to build lean muscle and aide in burning more calories. I have absolutely no idea where to start, what machines to use, what weight, how many reps. Any advise helps! I want to make sure I am still doing my 60 minutes of cardio as well while weight training.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    At the top of the gaining weight forum, you will find a thread that includes links to the most helpful threads. One of those threads is called "so you want to lift weights" or something like that. Go in that thread and you'll find a bunch of programs categorized for their intended audiences.

There's also a list of programs with links on my profile page.
  • BrockettFuel
    BrockettFuel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Low weight and high reps for each muscle group. Start slow and get your body used to it before going for more reps.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    At the top of the gaining weight forum, you will find a thread that includes links to the most helpful threads. One of those threads is called "so you want to lift weights" or something like that. Go in that thread and you'll find a bunch of programs categorized for their intended audiences.

There's also a list of programs with links on my profile page.
    Here ya go!

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Thanks!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting is good but don't expect it to see much more weight loss from it. It burns a small amount of calories compared to cardio and the increase in calories burned due to more muscle mass is just a few calories.
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Try bodybuilding.com and pick a plan and they guide you through what to do each gym day and give videos for each move aswell. Good way to start.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss. There are many programs to choose from.

For others reading this, if at all possible, start your strength training from the beginning of your weight loss journey.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Kudos to your sensational weight loss!! You are going to love weight training! I started lifting when a pal asked if anyone wanted to do the The 30 Day Dumbbell Plan from MFP's fitness blog. Now I have my own little gym in the basement.

For the most part, I gather my workouts from bodybuilding.com's 12-day LiveFit plan. I really like their site because each exercise has a short tutorial video and they have an alternative exercise if you don't have that equipment. As far as how many sets and reps, the plans will tell you. For weight amount, your body will tell you. If you cannot complete the 10 reps, then decrease. My sets are not always the same throughout especially when I'm trying to increase.

Here is the MFP blog that got my head in the game. Have fun lifting! http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/improve-fitness-fast-30-day-dumbbell-plan/