Help it's time of the month

Options
I'm emotional cranky and just want to eat everything and feel soooo bloated ! Feel heavier ! Do people bypass the scale when it's TOM?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The only difference is the bleeding, so I don't do anything different except manage the bleeding.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I go ahead and eat a little extra, knowing that once it's over I will have better control and will then eat a little under to even it out. I try to stay active, but give myself off the first two days.

I also continue to weigh daily, but don't internalize the results. It's not uncommon for me to be 5-10 pounds up.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    You'll survive
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance for a few days
  • Run4fitness12
    Run4fitness12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I actually find that I'm lighter when it's TOM and it doesn't affect me too much (might be a little more emotional - but it generally does not affect my workouts or my eating). You'll be fine! Eat a little more if you're hungry but don't go overboard.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Oh, also drink a ridiculous amount of water. I always drink a lot, but I chug when I get PMS. It helps with the bloating, and I find with the other symptoms as well.

If you get migraines or an increase in joint pain, I also found that a little extra caffeine and an Ibruprofen regimen does wonders.
  • shaunte92
    shaunte92 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you're going to place any real meaning behind the fluctuations (up or down)- i wouldn't weigh. If you're weighing out of curiosity to see how your body reacts during your period (which it doesn't sound like), the go right ahead. Sometimes I weigh in sometimes i don't. Also yes, drinks lots of water- even more than usual if you can manage it. And if your cravings are TERRIBLE eat a little more. Eating at maintenance for a day or to is infinitely better than depriving yourself and then binge eating.
  • DapperDassie
    DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I feel ya! Some women can say its fine because it affects every woman differently. I used to get cramps so bad I was immobilized and would just curl up and cry. And I went through natural childbirth with a 9lb baby so I know what freaking pain is haha. Fortunately I have the mirena iud now and don't get my period anymore (thank god) but when i did I did skip weigh in because I did bloat and wasn't able to take any gain without feeling bad because of the mood swing. Bananas help a lot! And exercise actually helps as well
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. I have lots of issues and have had two surgeries for endometriosis, so I know that our cycles can super suck. (Hooray for the ladies who don't have problems - they know not how fortunate they are.) I approach the scale regularly knowing that there is no possible way I've gained five actual fat pounds in one week when I'm still eating what I normally eat - I know it's temporary water weight. If I am really uncomfortable (wedding ring that usually spins and is now tight uncomfortable) I drink more water and also take a water pill for a couple of days or add a little plain tea, real cranberry juice or unsweetened grapefruit juice to my life - natural diuretics. The extra water helps me not feel as hungry. If I am jonesing for sweet - I add Mio to my water and surprisingly, that helps. I will also hog down on something healthy, like homemade popcorn and make sure I am getting the protein I need. Hope those things may help you...above all, be good to you!
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I usually don't weigh myself when it's my time of the month. I do let myself eat a little more instead of forcing myself not to because that just doesn't help anyone when I'm grumpy haha. But when I first start mine I don't want to do anything so weighing myself and eating right is the furthest thing from my mind! Can barely sit up from cramps never mind going and weighing myself.

Exercise helps with cramps a bit, and I've heard hot chocolate does as well. Do what feels right to you, but maybe just eat a little more since you've started so it doesn't make the cravings worse.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I up my calories by 250 (so decrease rate of loss) for the entire week, then push it back down to what is was before. Between bloating and more calories I pretty much maintain weight to +2lbs or so. BC helps with the amount and pain, and if you have terrible cramps, it's usually because of progesterone build up which is where exercise comes in and helps if you do it about a week before and during. For bloating, wear comfy pants and take medicine as needed. And since I always know when it's coming, the weekend before, I stock up on low-cal chocolate options (WW brownies, Chocolate pudding, mini chocolate snickers, etc)
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    * Factor in something chocolate. It's going to happen so might as well plan something in advance. (Halo Top rocks!)
    * I'm not likely to be at my best, so I don't expect to do a heavy workout.
    * Cramps happen. But I do find that moving around helps, so I try to still do walking and maybe some stretching and yoga.
    * I avoid weighing myself. The water weight skews my scale so I don't even bother weighing in.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm emotional cranky and just want to eat everything and feel soooo bloated ! Feel heavier ! Do people bypass the scale when it's TOM?

No, but I expect it to go up.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I don't bother weighing myself then because I know I can retain up to 10 lb in water weight. Why stress myself out with numbers like that? *shrug*. Good news though. Most women's metabolism actually goes UP at that time, itsone of the reasons why we feel extra hungry. So if you don't give in to the cravings to overeat and stay at your deficit, it's like you actually get a calorie burning boost once a month.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I weigh regardless, for data's sake, it means I am less freaked out month to month because I know how much I can expect to put on with the water retention. I up my water intake where possible and also eat at maintenance for a couple of days. In the long run I find that more sustainable.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Find healthy snacks to curb those cravings. Exercise when you're cranky and take a diuretic to combat the bloating so that you don't have to avoid the scale. Even if you do bloat, why avoid the scale. You know why there might be a gain, so what's the point in avoiding it. It's not something you did, it's that b!tch Aunt Flo visiting! :D

I've found, for me, if I increase my water intake while taking the diuretic, it not only keeps me from retaining water, but also seems to shorten that wench's length of stay.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It depends on my mindset. If it's REALLY bad, I won't get on the scale. But if I'm in a good place and well aware that it might be 5 lbs up and I want to do some good tracking, I'll hope on before and just after.

I have horrible periods and severe mood swings.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I still weigh every day it makes me feel better to watch several pounds go up in about 24 hours and then even better over about 72 hours when the period ends I usually lose all my period wait Plus an additional pound or two. I I am not allowing myself any extra calories however I do make a intentional change to make sure I get more iron as I have found that getting plenty of iron during my period makes me less grouchy and the cramps less painful. So that means red meat instead of chicken it means spinach instead of iceberg small changes like that.