Numbers matter, they really really matter

Options
jrwood10
jrwood10 Posts: 1 Member
My wife has always taken care of the checkbook, she's good at it. But, about a month ago, I felt the conviction to take over our finances and really start being purposeful with our money. There are specific goals and dreams that we have that we just haven't been able to pursue.So, I decided we needed to just go for it.

As I set up a digital register with Excel, I was floored with my first month's report. Because of our lack of preparation, lack of budgeting, and our lack of discipline, we were spending 50% more each month than what we were bringing in. Looking at the numbers, I felt like I was going to be sick. I knew we were lax'd on our spending, but it never affected me physically, mentally, or emotionally until I saw the numbers.

Numbers matter, they really really matter.

Just it as it was with my finances, looking at my numbers on MFP gave me the same physical, mental, and emotional response. My target goal is 1,900 calories a day with a 1,000 calorie deficit. I thought I was hitting the mark(or at least getting close), but in reality I was taking in 3,500 to 5,500 calories every single day.

The culprit was my careless snacking. I had been real good in what I was eating for meals, but it was the handful of chips I would sneak while making the Kid's lunch. The cookies that sat in the break room at work were my favorite and what I thought was just one or two actually ended up being over a half-dozen. We keep the kid's cereal in those big rubber maid containers, you know the ones with the opening big enough to stick my entire hand in and have an, "Innocent" handful of cereal... or 10!

If I want to get my finances under control, I need to fix the numbers. If I want to get my weight under control, I need to fix the numbers. These aren't just numbers on the app, they are legitimate numbers on the plate. Numbers will not lie, and neither will the results.

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Truth
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • theflatpick
    theflatpick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have learned that for me personally, I have to count and log EVERY BITE, because I was just like you, one handful a chips can't hurt can it? Yes, if you take a hand full of three different things that evening, they add up. All of my success comes from when counting and logging every single bite...
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    Great post! Yes - numbers don't lie.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I tend treat my finances and body in similar ways. If I don't pay attention and actually keep track, they both go way over what I've budgeted and what I think I'm doing, and I'm not even sure what happened. It has to be intentional for both. Best wishes in planning for your future financial goals and in getting the snacking under control.
  • Xceptional
    Xceptional Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been told multiple times by friends and family not to worry about numbers and to just stick to what works and watch for change. Honestly, I agree with you and your sentiment about personal finance as well as nutritional number counting. For me, this gives me a sense of order to my day and is a small accomplishment to add to my daily routine. My better half has always been financially stable and being 31 now, she is the first person to advice me to build a template for my finances, budget and start saving so I can turn my life around. This has had a cascading effect that has carried over to my career as well as my exercise and nutritional lifestyle in such a positive way. Long story short... I'm with you 100%. Keep racking and stacking those numbers if it works for you and relish in the results! *Cheers*
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I think about calories the same way you do. I have a budget of calories that I can spend every day. I have more calories to spend on days I do more physical activity. It's okay if I don't quite spend all my calories every day, but if I don't spend enough, I risk not getting things I need (i.e., energy and nutrients). If I have a few calories left over, I can save them for a little while and spend them later. It might not work for everyone, but that approach makes a lot of sense to me.