Has any1 else tried "Intuitive Eating?"

Options
After dieting since before the age of 12, I've been on every diet known to man. And I'm not talking, "tried this for a day, tried this for a week," I mean, I've given alot of diets a good go at it, and have been successful at some and flopped at others...

Then one day I heard about (off a south beach diet message board, of course, since that was the diet I followed from 2004 till recently) Intuitive Eating and got the book from the library and gave it a read. It's scary and refreshing but at the same time, it seems like this is the "next thing." I'm trying to see how far it gets me. So far in this journey it's been alot of small stepping stones that have gotten me from over 300lbs to where I am now, over the course of a decade.

Damn, I feel like I should be writing a book. LOL...

It seems as though I've flopped again. I tried the theory and gave it a good shot, and had good results with it, but it somehow got away from me. The lines are blurred, it's not so drill-sargeant, eat-this-don't-eat-that, food-slapping, denial, restriction, counting calories; it's all about tuning into your body, eating what your body needs and respecting yourself (which requires ALOT of thought and is so much more difficult than it sounds).

So, I did have a slip up with this. But I know at this point as long as the number of times you get back up is ONE MORE than the number of times you faceplant, that's all that matters. May take some practice to get this down, but I'm gonna continue to try to be just a normal eater.

Am I outta my mind for trying this at all? Should I just plan on counting calories for the rest of my days instead?

Any insight is appreciated!

April

Replies

• emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    On one hand learning to understand your body is probably the key to your issues with food and dieting. On the other, you need to be confident that you are ready to take that step and trust yourself to trust your body. If you feel you can do this, then you can do it!

Just be wary of anything that's hyped as 'the next big thing' diet-wise. None of them have stood the test of time. Different things work for different people, and that's probably why: There's no miracle cure, but there might be something out there that YOU can use to the best effect for yourself.
  • SHORTYSF
    SHORTYSF Posts: 9
    Options
    April -
    I have read several books on it (Geneen Roth is very funny and one of the less serious ones) I have not done the EFT portion of the programs, but I could not stand the part where you had to "allow" yourself to settle into the "intuitive" part - because you can gain weight (and I did.... because I can intuitively eat chocolate very well) Right now, I just started a book called "If I'm so Smart Why Can't I Lose Weight" - This one has you doing some written work... have just started it like I said, so I will update in the future. I am really trying to get in touch with when I feel full/hungry.

I had also gotten a book by Geneen Roth which was a workbook that I never finished that you might be interested in purchasing for yourself... it's along the lines of intuitive eating, and forces you to "soul search" it's called "Why Weight"

If you truly want to be inspired, read "Half Assed" by Jen Fulda - true story.. it was on Kindle for .99

Good Luck!!!

Sharon
  • KeeleySue
    KeeleySue Posts: 158
    Options
    This is so corny and cliche, but...

"Diets" don't work. You really need to make a lifestyle change. There is no such thing as a "quick fix."

Eat a healthy, balanced diet and get some exercise. That's the only way you will lose weight for the long-term.
  • lawn_gnome78
    Options
    emsibun: thanks for the advice, I try to stay away from the fad diets. In fact, when my dr suggested south beach I thought, "Ok, size 8, you really think a fad diet is gonna fix ME?" I don't think the Intuitive Eating book is advertised as the next big thing, it's just something I have not yet tried (till recently)! Thanks again!

Hey, Shorty! A workbook sounds like something I could really get into. Thanks for the suggestions, but I gotta ask... the Geneen Roth workbook that you never finished.... why did you not finish it? Just wanna be sure it's worth the time! Thanks!!

And keeand, DUH! I can't tell you how many times this has happened: I get all wrapped up in, "Should I try this, should I do that, what should I do next, what really works,???" then at the end of it, someone suggests the simple fact of : Eat right and exercise. DUH! Thank you for bringing that back to the surface. It's pretty damn simple!
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I may be way off here as I have only read a couple websites on the topic but it seems to me at its core intuitive eating is something that anyone who has made a lifestyle change - like we all have on here - will end up doing anyway.

After enough time of making changes in our diet we learn intuitively that we should eat when we are hungry. We intuitively know that certain things aren't good for us. We realize that beating ourselves up for slipping up and having cake at a friends birthday party isn't the way to go - just deal with it and move on.

I think Intuitive Eating is something that most of us will do anyway at some point.
  • txgator
    txgator Posts: 65
    Options
    All diets work and NO diet works. Everyone is different. get 10 people on 10 different diets and 9 of them may lose weight and 1 may not. Switch them around and you will have the same result. You must start your quest by asking yourself if you are really ready to do it, then you must go out and find what works for you. It is definetely a lifestyle change and if you are not, in your heart and mind, ready to do it, then no diet in the world will work. And that is 30 years of experience talking. Personally I hate diets. Just the word diet is like fingernails on a blackboard.
    Since I always failed on other diets I did my own. The first thing I did was look at my eating habits, what was my worst enemy (and best friend)? Coca Cola. filling my giant cup in the morning and topping it off in the afternoon. Chips...all of them. Munching all day and all night. Fast food...4 Jack in the box Tacos every morning (Cheaper than a sausage bisquit)...those had to go for awhile, till I was sure I could handle them.
    Then it was time to bring in new friends. I started with fruit because I always liked fruit. Then more vegetables. Adding more fish and less steak and when I get steak, no fat dripping Ribeyes (I miss you guys, lol).
    Next came portion control. I use all the tricks. Drinking lots of water, especially before meals. I add "MIO" to my water for taste. Eating slower and try no to watch TV or read while I do so I can focus on whats going on. I put smaller amounts on my plate, even less than I CAN eat, so when I go back for the rest it mentally is as if I am eating more (maybe Im nuts?).
    Next came exercise. Bike, Treadmill, tae-bo, pilates, jump rope, weights....find something that works and push yourself and always try to increase. When I started on bike I could do 5 minutes at a time till I did 30. Increased every time I got on. Now I can do an hour.
    Also, if you have anyone in your life that can go through this WITH you it can be a big help. Sometimes they can push you when you cant and hopefully you can push them if they need it.
    And last but certainly not least, you have MFP. It really makes you think about what you are putting in your body and how much and of course the people on here are awesome and very supportive.
    I'm sorry to be so "wordy". I know what I wrote will be total BS to some people, but as I said, not everything works for everybody. But something will work for anybody and thats my story and I am sticking to it...Dont give up hope!
  • lapamperedchef
    Options
    I may be way off here as I have only read a couple websites on the topic but it seems to me at its core intuitive eating is something that anyone who has made a lifestyle change - like we all have on here - will end up doing anyway.

After enough time of making changes in our diet we learn intuitively that we should eat when we are hungry. We intuitively know that certain things aren't good for us. We realize that beating ourselves up for slipping up and having cake at a friends birthday party isn't the way to go - just deal with it and move on.

I think Intuitive Eating is something that most of us will do anyway at some point.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
  • MerA822
    MerA822 Posts: 43
    Options
    i Don't believe in any Diets , actually tried Intuitive Eating before as i can't stick to a diet at all no matter how i try i did it i watch what i eat but without preventing my self from eating any thing , i exercised , do all the right hing & i really lost weight , but it really take a lot of strength & self control it's really no as easy as it sounds & i get easily sucked in the easy way of eating & let your self eat what u can find without a little bit of consideration .

i really don't like counting calories as you can't keep doing that all the time , is about making good choices i never believe in diets all of them say almost the same things , I'm trying to go back to nature & eat unprocessed food as much as possible .
  • SHORTYSF
    SHORTYSF Posts: 9
    Options
    I had my "AHA" moment very quickly.... and now I know what it is - and plan to finish the workbook....It's all good - "self talk". Now I am ready to tackle this beast... my baby weight is 13 years old now, the issues are in the past, and I am ready to move on. The "If I am so Smart" book is on sale Kindle too... can't tell u anything about it yet.... just started it.

Take care!!
    Sharon
  • txgator
    txgator Posts: 65
    Options
    ... my baby weight is 13 years old now....

Take care!!
    Sharon

That made me laugh out loud...:)
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This is so corny and cliche, but...

"Diets" don't work. You really need to make a lifestyle change. There is no such thing as a "quick fix."

Eat a healthy, balanced diet and get some exercise. That's the only way you will lose weight for the long-term.

seriously. if you deprive yourself of anything. you WILL crave it. you will one day say what the heck one bite wont kill me .. one bite turns into a whole cake and you just ruined your "diet"..

DIETS DO NOT WORK. diets suck.

eating well and working out works. it may be slow you wont lose 30 lbs of water by tomorrow and faint. but you will lose FAT slower and keep it off.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options

Thank you.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have read the book "If I am so smart why cant i lose weight? It made sense to me. I have been doing the intuitive dieting thing for about 2 weeks and I have had much trouble actually losing weight. But it seems to be coming off now. Since I have to pay attention and stop eating when I am satisfied and not when I am full. Sometimes it is very tough but apparently I don't need nearly as much food as I was eating before 1200 calories is turning out to be more than enough for me.

It doesnt feel like I am dieting anymore. Plus I am losing weight. Lost roughly 3 lbs in 2 weeks doing this when I may lose 3 lbs beforehand in 2 months. A huge difference for me.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I would suggest continuing to count calories for a bit until you feel like you have a firm grasp on portion control and are able to make the healty choies over the bad ones. Its not a "diet", its real life. You could do a mix, do a day of caloire counting, and then the next day go without for the day but log at bedtime and see how you did? It will give you an idea of where you are.

I don't count calories btw. I eat when I am hungry, and stop when I am full. I've lost weight like this before (60lbs in 6 months) and kept if off after one pregnancy before putting it back on with the next. After counting calories for about 6 weeks to get my head back into a good place, I stopped counting again and I"m losing weight the only way I know how. By eating healthy and being active. I don't exercise either in the traditional sense. My exercise is chasing after 3 kids a day and going for the occasional walk. I