Tricking your self to like exercise

Options
Anna_Banana
Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
Can you trick yourself into liking exercise? user
by EatingWell Magazine, on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:44am PST 33 Comments Post a Comment Read More from This Author » Report Abuse
I want to (and know I should) exercise more. I actually like to run—but I often go long stretches (weeks!) without running. I find all kinds of excuses to skip exercise: the baby didn’t sleep well, I’m too busy at work to break at lunch, I’m too hungry at dinner to run first. You know what I mean, life stuff.

When I get into these ruts, I try to remind myself that even President Obama makes time to exercise. But that sort of reasoning doesn’t really get me out the door on a run.

What does work for me? These are my 4 tricks to get myself to exercise more:

Rewards—such as a hazelnut nonfat latte from my favorite coffee shop as a post-run treat—help get me moving. Or I’ll make myself a delicious, healthy dessert.

For every mile I run, I earn a dollar to spend on something I don’t really need, just want, like some cool jewelry or a new pair of shoes. Frivolous maybe, but motivating for sure.

I’ve also started subscribing to the idea that exercise doesn’t have to be “all or nothing” and reminding myself that walking with my dog is legitimate physical activity. Even vacuuming the house with my son in the BabyBjorn counts for something: it’s lifestyle exercise. So I’m volunteering for those sorts of jobs and letting my husband do the less-active tasks, such as folding laundry in front of the football game.

Setting goals for myself—both big ones and small ones. I’m planning to do a half marathon in May. I’ll be motivated to get regular exercise if I know I’m working toward a bigger goal.

Replies

• Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Can you trick yourself into liking exercise? user
    by EatingWell Magazine, on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:44am PST 33 Comments Post a Comment Read More from This Author » Report Abuse
    I want to (and know I should) exercise more. I actually like to run—but I often go long stretches (weeks!) without running. I find all kinds of excuses to skip exercise: the baby didn’t sleep well, I’m too busy at work to break at lunch, I’m too hungry at dinner to run first. You know what I mean, life stuff.

When I get into these ruts, I try to remind myself that even President Obama makes time to exercise. But that sort of reasoning doesn’t really get me out the door on a run.

What does work for me? These are my 4 tricks to get myself to exercise more:

Rewards—such as a hazelnut nonfat latte from my favorite coffee shop as a post-run treat—help get me moving. Or I’ll make myself a delicious, healthy dessert.

For every mile I run, I earn a dollar to spend on something I don’t really need, just want, like some cool jewelry or a new pair of shoes. Frivolous maybe, but motivating for sure.

I’ve also started subscribing to the idea that exercise doesn’t have to be “all or nothing” and reminding myself that walking with my dog is legitimate physical activity. Even vacuuming the house with my son in the BabyBjorn counts for something: it’s lifestyle exercise. So I’m volunteering for those sorts of jobs and letting my husband do the less-active tasks, such as folding laundry in front of the football game.

Setting goals for myself—both big ones and small ones. I’m planning to do a half marathon in May. I’ll be motivated to get regular exercise if I know I’m working toward a bigger goal.
  • sunilshah123
    sunilshah123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    having a goal is a big motivator, so the half marathon is a great idea - the other is to think about how you feel about yourself after you have had a good work out. Put that image in your mind and get moving...

The other i use is I pretend that there is fat ball chasing me (have you seen the nike advert - could be a UK thing), but that get's me moving faster.

the main thing is to incorporate into your routine/work day. I plan my excercise in advance and even put in my outlook!

hope this helps.

Sunil
  • NoraEE
    NoraEE Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I discovered last year that jumping rope is a good winter excercise because you can do it indoors. I trick myself into doing it every time by turning on a movie while I jump. It distracts me enough from the fact that I'm exercising that I really start to look forward to it!
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    [When I get into these ruts, I try to remind myself that even President Obama makes time to exercise. But that sort of reasoning doesn’t really get me out the door on a run.]

You and I must think alike!! I always think of president Obama and his 90 minute workout sessions. Keeps me highly motivated !!
  • heal4444
    heal4444 Posts: 709
    Options
    :mad: Yeah, sometimes, that's the last thing I want to do.

This helps and is fun sometimes.

I search a dance music video on the web and dance like 3 to even 7 songs in a row without caring how the I move or what not. It's really fun. Try it. Think of some movies with dance music on. Or any songs from any decade. Then, just start moving even while you are sitting, b4 yuou know it. YOu're up on your feet dancing! Feeling better, and happier you're moving!! :noway: :noway:
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    Looking back ( when i was a healthy weight) I realize that I exercised all the time but it rarely felt like it. All of my hobbies were active. Horseback riding, rock climbing, salsa dancing , hiking and biking with friends. I then discovered running and got addicted but i get bored so easily so I got a rebounder and would run and bounce on it in front of the TV and time would fly. I also would run different paces all the time even if I had to drive there. I also recorded exercise videos on TV or get new ones from the library. I rarely if ever did anything for 3 weeks straight.

Maybe try to find something that is active but doesent seem like a workout? raquetball, tennis,dancing lessons? These really burn cals and it does not seem like a "work out"
  • heal4444
    heal4444 Posts: 709
    Options
    I have other tickers to track # of workouts I do in a mth, in a yr at tickerfactory. At times, it's the last thing I want to do. :angry: I just don't want to do it!!! :noway: :sad: :huh:

My trick is: I pretend I already did it, I update my tickers and add one to them as if I did it. And then, you know what? I get off my butt and actually do the workout. It's so rewarding to see the tickers move. Does the trick for me. Hope this helps. :happy: