help with jogging

Options
So for the first time since i left school i decided to go out jogging.
i have been gradually building up my fitness level which was shocking, and i can work out quite well now.
so any way i realize it will be hard going to start with, today i jogged 1 mile and had to stop 3 times as i felt a bit tired and my shins hurt.

any tips please, i am sure my shins shouldn't hurt

Replies

• laurenpence
    laurenpence Posts: 147
    Options
    Your stride plus the wrong shoe can lead to shin splints. Make sure when you are jogging/ running your not pounding your feet on the pavement. I am a strong believer in a good shoe. I once bought a pair of asics without knowing what kind of shoe I needed. i ended up fighting shin splints for months. So go to a running store and have them determine your stride and arch, then they will fit you with the right shoe. The right shoe can prevent you from running injuries! Oh also, try a walk/run exercise or run slow so your not getting out of breath so you can run for longer periods of time. I hope this helps.
    :smile:
  • jocraw66
    jocraw66 Posts: 52
    Options
    It is ok to mix some walking with your jogging. Honestly when you first begin to run intervals with walking are very beneficial.

As for your shin pain there are several reasons that you could have pain. My first question is about your shoes. Do you have good running shoes? Have you been fitted properly? Improper footwear is the biggest reason for shin, foot, hip and back pain when running. My advice is to be fitted for some shoes that you will wear only for running.

Another reason for shin pain could be weak muscles on the outer edges of the shin. Try doing some calf raises and incorporate more walking into your intervals until you build up the muscles there. I doubt that you have shin splints but after your running try icing your shins for ten minutes. That does help.

Good luck!
  • lisahightower2
    Options
    If you're shins hurt you're probably coming down on your heels too much. Try Googling for tips on form and stride. And make sure your knees have some give - that will keep the shock on your knees to a minimum. What has helped me tremendously in improving my form is strengthening the muscles in my legs. Do squats and lunges with free weights, or if you belong to a gym try out the leg extension and quad machine. My form is awesome now and I feel like I can jog forever!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out, you do need to start slowly. When I started out, I walked some, jogged some, walked some, etc. until I gradually did more jogging and less walking (kind of like my own version of C25K). Also, make sure you have running shoes that you don't wear for your normal everyday routine. It really does make a difference.
  • Augbert
    Augbert Posts: 3
    Options
    Also- google "couch to 5k" running plan for an interval running schedule for beginners.
    C25K
  • LyneaS
    LyneaS Posts: 22
    Options
    Start slow!!! Alternate running and walking and add more running as you get more comforable. I agree that shoes are important. I have Asics that I love for running, but they give me blisters if I use them for walking. I know from experience that it does get easier! A lot of it for me was mental. I thought I had to stop to walk often - until the day my 18 year old son and his friend went running with me! I was too embarassed to tell them I wanted to stop and walk so I just kept running! Good luck to you!!
  • DaniiWanii
    DaniiWanii Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Try couch to 5 k it is amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaze!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • raydeb
    raydeb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    try a mix of Power walking and short jogging over time you can build up. please take advice on shoes as shin splints can last for a qite a while.
    running and walking burns cals not much differant to jogging.
    Keep going it get better over time.........
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Stretch....... To stretch out your lower leg and foot, even toes. write the alphabet with your foot. imagine you are trying to make the smallest line with you toes and the roundest letter with you ankle. this should help with the shins.
    And watch your stride. if you are striking on your whole foot you may need to get better shoes and arch support. if you run and you toes you need to take walking breaks to stretch you shins. When walking strike with the heel and round to the front of your foot. when you do it right you should feel like you are gliding.
    Fixing bad running habits will keep you running. If not you will soon tire of being in pain, because it can get a lot worse than shin splints.
    Have fun.
  • mrdavidjk
    mrdavidjk Posts: 105
    Options
    excellent replies many thanks.
    time to get some fitted shoes then i think i will be doing the couch to 5k
    the internet is a wonderful thing
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else on here about C25K. It is such a great way to get started because it is so easy to be extra motivated in the beginning and then you end up getting discouraged. C25K slowly works up your endurance. When I started I could barely make it trhough the 60 second runs in week 1, and now I'm running 4-5 miles several times a week. It's amazing so I would definitely recommend it.

I'm also a strong believer in good running shoes. I had horrible shin and knee pain and as soon as I was fitted for proper shoes, I never had any problems. They do need to be replaced though depending on how often you run, and they can be expensive but if you're a runner it is so worth the money.

Hope this helps.
  • heatherlee33
    heatherlee33 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ok, I don't know how much help I will be because I Suuuuck at running but I have tried very hard to be good at it. So the biggest thing that helped me was an inhaler. I'm 32 and guess what, I have exercise asma (sorry I'm having trouble spelling that and so is my computer but sound it out phonetically and you know what I mean :) ), and didn't know about it my whole life! So yeah, I went from being able to run 18 minutes to 45 minutes in one day, just talk to your doctor and check it out. Also my brother was a marine and he helped me and my son train for a 5 k last summer and the biggest thing he helped me with was pacing myself and controlling my breathing. Seriously I would be huffing like a fat kid trying to take the stairs and wouldn't even notice until he would yell at me "Control your breathing", then I would calm down and get it back in order again. Now since all this I have hurt my knee and can't run anymore with out having to recuperate for 2 weeks so why not just walk and workout every day. But I hope some of that helps you.