Weight training and Cardio

Options
marcias_life
marcias_life Posts: 6 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
What would be the best way to combine weight training and cardio to lose weight. I've read some interesting stuff online about it but I would like to know what you guys think.

Thank you!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    2 or 3 x cardio, 2 or 3 x strength per week, with 1-2 rest days
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What are your goals? That will determine a lot.
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    What I do is superset every weight exercise with one minute of high-intensity cardio, such as supersetting barbell bench press with dumbbell step ups, or squats with jumping rope. It's very hard work, but I've gained muscle, lost fat, and improved my cardio-vascular endurance doing this.

Edited to add: BusyRae is absolutely right too. I wouldn't have lost any of that fat without maintaining a calorie deficit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I prefer to separate strength and cardio training (mostly alternate days) so I can train without compromise.
    But I don't exercise for weight loss (health, fitness, enjoyment, challenge...)

What exactly are you trying to achieve?
  • marcias_life
    Options
    Idk how to mention you guys separately (I'm new on MFP) so my answer to psuLemon: my 1st goal is to lose 10 kg doing cardio and weight training and improve my strength cause I want to be able to start building mass/defining my body. I don't want to be a bodybuilder but I want to be able to see my muscles, feel firm and toned.
  • marcias_life
    Options
    I wanna thank you guys for the help... I'm looking for a better lifestyle and long term commitment with myself. I'm tired of not loving what I see and how I feel.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    It IS about the goal... I have lost 2 inches around my waist.. BUT have gained 4 lbs in the last 3 months... I strength train Tuesday, Thursday Saturday... do a HIIT session on Monday, Wed and Friday (stair climb) and do one steady state session on Sunday. (40 minutes split between a stationary bike and an elliptical trainer). I have not altered my diet significantly beyond reducing Potatoes and white rice. (not eliminating). I also have upped my protein intake. MY goal is to 1.) run a 10k in under 45 minutes within the next year (I think I will need to lose about 30 lbs of fat) and begin cross fit training within 3 years AND join the local Rugby Union... ( cross fit to stay in rugby shape)...

My take is this... I want to lose fat... BUT any calorie restriction seems like a temporary fix... additionally calorie restriction is indiscriminate about the mass loss.. that is... when you reduce your calories you lose weight... just like you can't "spot reduce". The body also metabolizes lean muscle mass AND fat so... yes.. you lose weight.. but more importantly you lose muscle mass along with the fat mass...

You can interval train with weights... do a strength training program for timed sets rather then reps... for example... kettle bell swings with a heavy enough weight will add muscle and "test" your cardio capacity if you do 1-2 minute sets (and do 5 sets)... barbell curls... as many as you can in 2 minutes... with a 1 minute break in between sets... hit a stairmaster with a 40 lb sandbag and climb for a full minute at level 10... you will build muscle... increase your cardio capacity and (probably) puke... what makes this worth it? fat loss for sure... BUT to put yourself through this kind of ringer YOU really have to want some goal at the end of the rainbow...

to look good sure... to feel great absolutely... BUT what is the carrot for the OP? Mine is to engage in a team sport and be prepared to outrun fast moving zombies :)
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Whatever your preference. Doing it has more to do with results than timing. I personally lift weights before doing cardio, under the assumption that I want to have the most energy available for my big lifts.

Otherwise the rest is a lot of "bro science" as far as I'm concerned. Fasted cardio? Morning cardio? Before weights? After weights? Really doesn't matter. If you're more of an endurance athlete, focus on doing more cardio. If you're a strength based athlete, focus more on weights. But for general health we should all be doing a blend of both.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Idk how to mention you guys separately (I'm new on MFP) so my answer to psuLemon: my 1st goal is to lose 10 kg doing cardio and weight training and improve my strength cause I want to be able to start building mass/defining my body. I don't want to be a bodybuilder but I want to be able to see my muscles, feel firm and toned.

(You can use the Quote button to reply to individual posts....)

Your goals are primarily going to be serviced from the strength/weight training program you choose. So would prioritise that and fit the rest (cardio) in around that foundation. Personally I wouldn't compromise the strength training by turning it into a strength/cardio hybrid or by doing HIIT (real HIIT) as your cardio of choice.
    Cardio has the advantage of far higher calorie burns and being CV fit is a key aspect of health, can be an enjoyable way to boost your food allowance too of course.

A big calorie deficit / rapid rate of loss could well compromise your training (as well as being harder to adhere too) so suggest a small calorie deficit and some patience. That fits with your lifestyle change goal too, start practicing how you intend to maintain at goal weight now.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I just use cardio (mainly rowing) to burn excess cals, not to supplement lifting. 10 mins of moderate rate rowing will burn 100 cals. So just 1 or 2 10 min sessions will get me back on track. I do it anytime I need to regarless of whatever else I did that day; lifting or otherwise. Works for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,569 Member
    Options
    What would be the best way to combine weight training and cardio to lose weight. I've read some interesting stuff online about it but I would like to know what you guys think.

Thank you!
    It's actually not to lose weight, but to improve physique, muscle conditioning and cardio vascular system. Yes it burns calories and can HELP to create a deficit, but weight loss is more predicated to one's eating behavior rather than exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    I do cardio on the days I lift which is 3 times a week. Sure I could go more times for cardio but I really don't feel like driving more days to the gym than I should and waste gas.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    My cardio goal at this point is 55 minutes on a fitness glider (I started off at 25 minutes and worked my way up over five months) five times a week, a 2 hour walk once a week and a 1 hour walk on Saturdays. If I walk at least an hour and a half on the other five days (I don't have a car and unless the weather is really lousy, I'd rather run errands on foot), I'll often skip the glider.

As far as strength training, I do it every other day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

So you will never accidentally be a bodybuilder or get big. That isn't how the human body works. If you want to be lean and toned, it just means adequate body composition and low body fat. If you want to be able to build muscle, you probably wont do it while losing weight but you can definitely sustain the muscle you have if you follow a progressive resistance program based around multi-joint moves. Most good programs are 3 days a week. I would recommend looking at this list. For many women, Strongcurves, Thinner Leaner Stronger and New Rules of Lifting for Women tend to be favs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I would then incorporate cardio and/or flexibility training the other days.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I alternate days of strength training and running. The best advice I can give you is follow a plan. When I started lifting weights I just did my own programing and played only to my strengths. It really stunted my abilities as a lifter and it wasn't until I started stronglifts 5x5 that I really found my groove. I'm now using 5/3/1 which is a little more advanced but still a good program. For running I used c25k (couch to 5k) I didn't stick with it through the entire program but was able to use it to build the running base I needed to move towards my goals. I've used various racing prep plans to prepare for different things over the last year. Right now I'm running 4 miles per workout to keep my cardio base until I start fall race prep sometime in the next 2 months or so.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Along with a calorie deficit. Exercise alone, cardio or strength training, will not generate weight loss.

Agreed and agreed.

Cardio will help with your overall conditioning/endurance/etc.
    Strength training will help with strength, stability, and probably body composition.
    Diet/intake will help with the weight loss.

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

You won't accidentally look like a body builder, period. Especially as a woman it's very difficult to build that much muscle without actually meaning to. In order to build muscle you have to eat at least at maintenance, often in a surplus.

Also, there's a big difference between Building Mass and Defining Your Body.

Muscles always, always have the shape you're looking for but there's likely to be some body fat over top meaning you won't be able to see the shape you want until you drop the body fat. You'll have to purposely do it in order to see yourself look more defined and tighten everything up.

If you want to build mass, that's an entirely different story and you have to eat at a surplus to do it.
  • marcias_life
    Options
    Nice