For the females doing Stronglifts

Options
mommarnurse
mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
Does anyone have any pointers for getting better at bench press? I feel like I am doing decent with the 5x5 regimen of all of the other lifts (except the 1x5 of deadlift, obviously) but I am majorly struggling with the bench press. Today I was supposed to do 100 lbs and I could do 5,3,4,3,3 and on the 4th attempt for the last set...well I'm glad I had the fail rail.

Replies

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    How's your form? Do you feel it a lot in your shoulders? Do you think you're getting a smooth motion on the up and down or is it jerky?
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Just keep working at it. Try it again at 100lbs for your next session. If I remember correctly, the third time you fail, you deload and work your way back up.

Some other things you can do to help are adding in some accessories like push-ups, lateral raises, etc. Another idea is to deload to a weight where you can hit all 5 reps/sets and increase your reps rather than weight (I do this with OHP).
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Just keep working at it. Try it again at 100lbs for your next session. If I remember correctly, the third time you fail, you deload and work your way back up.

Some other things you can do to help are adding in some accessories like push-ups, lateral raises, etc. Another idea is to deload to a weight where you can hit all 5 reps/sets and increase your reps rather than weight (I do this with OHP).

All of this.

Also, you're not going to consistently and infinitely progress. This is normal.

Yup.

When I got completely stuck on bench, I took time completely off and got really, really good at decline push ups. When I went back to benching, I was able to progress again.
  • gym4life64
    gym4life64 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any pointers for getting better at bench press? I feel like I am doing decent with the 5x5 regimen of all of the other lifts (except the 1x5 of deadlift, obviously) but I am majorly struggling with the bench press. Today I was supposed to do 100 lbs and I could do 5,3,4,3,3 and on the 4th attempt for the last set...well I'm glad I had the fail rail.

Form is so important, and honestly most people do not bench correctly. That is way they hurt their shoulders. They tend to keep their elbows too wide and pointed out to the side. Most also do not engage their back....YES, your back needs to be tight and squeeze your lats HARD! Don't touch the bar too high on the chest....it should touch the lower part of the chest.

• FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Volume and frequency.
  • FatWithFatness
    Options
    ocrXfitter wrote: »

All of this.

Also, you're not going to consistently and infinitely progress. This is normal.

Yup.

When I got completely stuck on bench, I took time completely off and got really, really good at decline push ups. When I went back to benching, I was able to progress again.

1. Push ups are important for shoulder mobility, but like bench most people do them wrong and flare their elbows.
    2. If you can't do push ups without taking away from your bench, you need to up your fitness level
    3. Go over to howmuchyabench.net and get a slingshot and add some slingshot work to your bench days. It will help you learn proper elbow position and overload a bit.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You can do several things. Over time if you keep trying this weight, you'll get it, but you need to set yourself up to succeed.

You could try taking a day off - You'll have more recovery time to build strength.
    Do the bench press first in your workout - You'll have more to give. Make sure you do a warm up though.
    Longer rest period between sets - You'll have more to give.
    If you can do 100 for 5 sets on the first, go for 102.5 or 105 on the first or second set. Then drop it to 100 for the remaining. Seems counter intuitive but it since your 1 rep max is more than 100, you can do it.
  • FatWithFatness
    Options

If you're constantly training to failure you're going to de-train, focus on having a heavy day, then a light day, then a medium day.

e.g. Monday - Heavy, Wednesday - Light, Friday, Medium

If you're constantly trying to PR you're doing more harm than good. Find a good bench peaking program if that's your goal, there's plenty for free.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Also working with heavy dumbbells also helps make sure u go deep with them u can still do 5x5 or 5x54321 have a good training partner to watch you also my favorite bench is doing the bottom position in a squat rack wedge yourself right under the bar push up i also use thick bars 1.5 2 n 3 inch bars all work great for me standing shoulder press helped my bench too along with high pulls n shrugs... hope this helps u out .
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

I would first look if you are rested enough in between sets . If you hit 5 on first set, you can hit all 5 for all sets if you rest enough in between.

This holds true even more if you are a female. Females can recover extremely well because they don't incorporate the same percentage of muscle motors as males.

I would advice getting micro plates and utilize them to continue strength fains.

Working on correct form will also extend your time before a deload is needed.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The bench is one of my weaknesses too. Unfortunately, I do not have a spotter or a fail rail so I can only do 70lbs without needing a spotter. I usually have to stick to the machines to get my "Bench Presses" in.
  • gym4life64
    Options
    The bench is one of my weaknesses too. Unfortunately, I do not have a spotter or a fail rail so I can only do 70lbs without needing a spotter. I usually have to stick to the machines to get my "Bench Presses" in.

Try dumdbells in place of machines. When you fail, you just drop them!
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    gym4life64 wrote: »

I used to use dumbells but I was not able to lift 70lbs with the dumbells as I could with the bar. But I think I may go back to the dumbells because I do not care too much for the machines. Thank you for the tip. :)
  • mommarnurse
    Options
    How's your form? Do you feel it a lot in your shoulders? Do you think you're getting a smooth motion on the up and down or is it jerky?

It's not necessarily jerky, I feel it in my shoulders near my chest, so anterior shoulders if that makes sense. I do the hole push-your-shoulder-blades-together and arch-your-back-a bit-form.
  • gym4life64
    Options
    gym4life64 wrote: »

I used to use dumbells but I was not able to lift 70lbs with the dumbells as I could with the bar. But I think I may go back to the dumbells because I do not care too much for the machines. Thank you for the tip. :)

You won't be able to use the same weight.....dumbbells will be less because they are harder to balance then using a bar. But they are safer in many ways
  • mommarnurse
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »

That was helpful. Thank you. I guess I'll be bringing my measuring tape to the gym to make sure I have correct hand placement lol. Oh well/
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Big back = big bench

lat pull downs never hurt either.
  • mommarnurse
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Big back = big bench

lat pull downs never hurt either.

That makes sense.

I think the weakness is the initial lift off my chest. I don't feel I have the arm/shoulder strength .
  • mommarnurse
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I would first look if you are rested enough in between sets . If you hit 5 on first set, you can hit all 5 for all sets if you rest enough in between.

^^that is interesting to me. I've never heard/read that before. How much time between? Like 5 minutes?

This holds true even more if you are a female. Females can recover extremely well because they don't incorporate the same percentage of muscle motors as males.

I would advice getting micro plates and utilize them to continue strength fains.

Working on correct form will also extend your time before a deload is needed.