Fasting and hunger

Options
Hi everyone , I would really like to start doing IF so I could have big dinners with my friends and family. However , I wake up STARVING in the morning and have to eat some cereal. Anyone knows how I can stop this?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What happens if you don't eat cereal? You won't know until you try...
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    How u can stop it? Stop putting cereal in your mouth
  • JustDoIt987
    JustDoIt987 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    What happens if you don't eat cereal? You won't know until you try...

I did try , and I feel way too hungry to the point that I cant concentrate
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Instead of starving yourself so you can eat big maybe it would work better to exercise more. You accomplish the same thing but exercise also provides health benefits and allows you to eat breakfast.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a big knot. Untie it by separating what you need, what you want and what you can:

You need enough food - a range of nutrients and sufficient calories every day.
    You want to have one big meal every day.
    You can eat whatever you like and whenever you like, and you can lose/maintain weight eating whatever you like and whenever you like, if you do it smart and prioritize.

You could try replacing your cereal with a more balanced and satisfying breakfast. What that will be, can vary.
    You could eat dinner with friends and family and just serve yourself an appropriate portion.
    If you eat lunch and snacks, pay attention to what and how much you eat for those meal as well and make sure the total for the day adds up nicely.
  • Jadedinosaur
    Jadedinosaur Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You could try just having a smaller breakfast and lunch so you can have a big dinner. I keep my breakfast, lunch and snacks all day to around ~600cals, so I can have the bulkiest meal at night. Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I was never able to do IF because I could never get passed the hunger issues. Some people just don't respond.
  • shazi89
    shazi89 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do IF, make sure your evening meal is nutritional. I drink coffee, tea and water until around 3pm and then eat. It definitely get easier.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    After 1 week of IF, my morning hunger gets blunted and I can fast through to midday with ease.

It's not for everyone though and there are no magical fat burning properties.
  • JustDoIt987
    JustDoIt987 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I also forgot to mention that my job is physically demanding ( tour guide)
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    It may just be the case that IF is not for you. Listen to your body.

Having a breakfast of around 200 cals would likely still allow sufficient calories to have a big family meal, even though you have broken the fast with a breakfast.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    It takes some time for your body to break out of habits. If your body is used to expecting breakfast at 8am every morning, it'll send you those hunger signals when you don't give it that breakfast.

After a week or two, your body adjusts to the new schedule.

I personally love following 16:8 IF. I just eat lunch and dinner and feel perfectly satiated! I do get a bit hungry in the morning, but it's very manageable. I just sip on hot tea until lunch time and distract myself with other things.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I was never able to do IF because I could never get passed the hunger issues. Some people just don't respond.

Yup...I couldn't do it either.
  • blessingsfromabove721
    blessingsfromabove721 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I do a form of IF and it works for me. I don't eat breakfast, but I do drink coffee and that usually keeps me satiated until lunch time. Like others have said, some can do it, some can't.

I think all in all, it's all about finding your niche...or a way of eating that works for YOU and that you can work with long term. You'll never know if IF can work for you if you don't try.

Best of luck!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I also forgot to mention that my job is physically demanding ( tour guide)

Have you considered that maybe IF isn't compatible with you and your lifestyle? Certainly would never work for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Count me as another person for whom IF would not work. I like lots of small meals.

However, cereal isn't one of them. I don't find it satiating at all. Not enough protein, even if I use Greek yogurt instead of milk, etc.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    Options
    Between breakfast at 6am and dinner at 6pm there is an opportunity for a 12 hour fast.
    Between dinner at 6pm and the breaking of the fast at 6am we have another 12 hour fast.
    Just saying ;-)

If eating breakfast does not lead you to continuing to eat throughout the day, it probably doesn't matter for the purpose of caloric control and weight loss whether you break the fast at that time, or not.

And as someone mentioned a small breakfast still leaves you with the bulk of your calories for your later meal.

Instead of thinking of it as intermittent fasting think of it as allocating your calories to fewer, larger, meals.

Assuming it works for you...
  • pattilindley
    pattilindley Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    shazi89 wrote: »
    I do IF, make sure your evening meal is nutritional. I drink coffee, tea and water until around 3pm and then eat. It definitely get easier.

What is IF?