The scale wont move!!

Options
I've been on a diet since January and i've lost some good weight. I been eating the same and exercise is the same but now the scale wont move. I started out at 271lbs now im 229lbs but now the scale been saying 229 for almost a week now. It'll go down one day to 229.0 then the next few days i get up there it'll say 229.8 then 229.6 and so forth, back and forth. Im starting to lose motivation i dont kmow what to do. Has anyone experienced these problems before??

Replies

• MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but your diary's not open so I can't tell if you measure your food or what's up.

When I got stuck, I would change my macros based on how much exercise I was doing and it seemed to help move the scale along.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I've been on a diet since January and i've lost some good weight. I been eating the same and exercise is the same but now the scale wont move. I started out at 271lbs now im 229lbs but now the scale been saying 229 for almost a week now. It'll go down one day to 229.0 then the next few days i get up there it'll say 229.8 then 229.6 and so forth, back and forth. Im starting to lose motivation i dont kmow what to do. Has anyone experienced these problems before??

Are you eating the same amount of calories at 229 as you were at 271?

Also a few days staying the same or even gaining can just be due to sleeping less, higher salt meals, hormones, all type of things.
  • waterlover543
    waterlover543 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Are you eating the same amount of calories at 229 as you were at 271?

Also a few days staying the same or even gaining can just be due to sleeping less, higher salt meals, hormones, all type of things.

I am eating the same amount. Should i change it? And i think i might need to get more sleep, but i tend to stay away from salt because it swells my face up really bad.
  • waterlover543
    waterlover543 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Stalls happen. I tend to get them around every 20 lb lost. They last a couple of weeks, then it is back to normal. The human body is weird and does stuff like this.

A few things to think about:

1) Are you still weighing all solids and semi solids and measuring liquids? Are you still logging everything you eat? It might be that extra calories are creeping in so double check your logging and tighten it up if needed

2) Have you started a new exercise program or upped the amount of exercise you are doing? You might just be retaining a little extra water as your muscles adjust to the changes.

3) Did you re-calculate your net calorie target each 10 lb lost?

How close are you to goal? You may have to change your target weight loss to 1 lb a week instead of the 2 you are averaging. Most people can not sustain that rapid of a weight loss and a stall may be your body's way of telling you to slow it down a little.

My first goal is to be 194lbs. I think i may have to change it too and as for exercise i been trying to do resistance exercises for my butt to build my butt ans my weight has been acting crazy every since.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I don't lose on the scale week over week but then the next one I may lose double what I "should". Could just be natural fluctuations. With that weight I would assume you could see up and down swings of 4lbs pretty often, that doesn't mean you're not losing fat behind the water. You may just not realize it. If your logging is good and you're in a deficit you really have no option other than to lose fat
  • izzybelle2013
    izzybelle2013 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have been having the same problem for several weeks. I actually am losing about 1/2 lb a week, but it goes up every weekend, then I have to play catch up. I am less than 10 lbs from goal weight. But I know my problem is that I am not weighing or counting my foods properly. I will work on that seriously because I am SO TIRED of this plateau. It also doesn't help (though it should) that everyone in my TOPS group is watching closely to congratulate me when I reach goal. Don't worry about one week, but be sure to check what you are doing so that it doesn't turn into weeks. Good luck.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It hasn't even been a week, so definitely have patience. But you need to recalculate your calories. Your body needs less calories to move around 229 lbs vs 271 (big high five for your hard work so far!).
    Also, if you're a woman, water retention can play a big part in not seeing losses for a while.
    I haven't had a loss on the scale for almost a month and a half (hormones/new workouts). This morning I had a big 2.5lb loss (I'm set yo lose half a lb per week so 2.5 is big!)
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    There will be weeks where the scale won't move. Get used to it as you get closer to your goal. Ignore the scale for a bit and look at measurements or dig out a before photo and take a progress photo to compare. Even if the scale hasn't moved this week I'm sure you can find some other way to measure your success this week.
  • monstar4kc
    monstar4kc Posts: 30 Member
    Options

To the original OP,

I have also been on a diet since January and have lost a total of 35# at an average of 2# a week. Around the last week of March however; my weight stalled. I was stuck at 140# a week even though I hadn't changed my workout routine or food intake. It was obvious that my body went into homeostasis. It had learned to adjust my calorie output to match my input and instead of burning 2400-2500 calories a day, I was struggling to burn 2000. I kept at it though; added strength training more often and lowered my deficit so that I could eat a bit more and it started to come off (albeit slower than it did the first few months). This morning I weighed myself and am down to 134.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    Did nobody notice that op started a new exercise regiment?

While a lot of things mentioned (such as needing to recalculating goals as your weight changes) are correct, the op needs to research water weight changes, aka water retention, it's causes and effects!

Op should also start using a weight trend app or web site.
  • izzybelle2013
    izzybelle2013 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have got to find a way to kill the candy monster. I am thinking meditation and daily affirmations as to how bad candy is for me, and how much better I look now. Going to work on not having any candy for the next 30 days. Break the habit, and make a new one that avoids sugar. Any other ideas? Open to anything. :)