I've had trouble with hunger in the afternoon, so I've made room for a snack. Suggestions?

Options
jdb3388
jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
I have about 250 calories worth of space that I can eat in the afternoon and I'm trying to make the best of it. I know 250 isn't a whole lot, but I'm trying to find the most satisfying way to do it. I want something that I can have a (relatively) large amount of as long as it taste decent. I could eat a small candy bar, and it would be great, but not filling. Or I could literally just cram myself full with celery and never get anywhere close to 250 calories, but I absolutely detest celery. What are some snacks you've found that are on the filling side, but still aren't hard to eat taste wise?

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Two large hard boiled eggs and some ham.

Tuna pouches

Protien bar/shake and fruit

Chicken breast

Chocolate bar

Cheese and crackers

Popcorn

Yogurt

Oatmeal

Cereal

Whatever you like. ;)
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I have a couple hard boiled eggs or yogurt or a mix of nuts/dried cranberries. I try to eat a little protein in my snack so that I can get home to have dinner without being ravenous (and then eating everything). My most "dangerous" time of the day is when I leave work and before dinner- if I don't have a plan, I want to eat fast food, if dinner will be a while, I just start grazing. So I feel your pain, OP. There are some great suggestions here- good luck!
  • winchestertardisrider
    winchestertardisrider Posts: 21 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Oh Yeah ONE Protein bars are fabulous and come in around 210-220cal, 21-22g protein and only 1g Sugar per. I keep a box in my car and in the office. I also keep 100cal popcorn in the office as well. I can have my bar AND popcorn if I'm feeling particularity peckish....
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I usually go for either protein (hard boiled egg, cheese, some nuts, or a weird dried "tofu jerky" I make myself) or something high fiber like popcorn or an apple.
  • beaglebrandon
    beaglebrandon Posts: 97 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Belvita snacks are great. 230 calories. Not just for breakfast, but for snacks to keep you full, and they can easily be put in your office desk. No refrigeration. 5 packages of biscuits in each box, good for a whole week, and about $3.00

s-l300.jpg

I used to eat a 2 pack of Fig Newtons, but now I eat these.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    2 T of peanut butter and 100 grams of apple comes out to 252 calories. The apple should provide enough bulk to satisfy you.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Belvita snacks are great. 230 calories. Not just for breakfast, but for snacks to keep you full, and they can easily be put in your office desk. No refrigeration. 5 packages of biscuits in each box, good for a whole week, and about $3.00

s-l300.jpg

I used to eat a 2 pack of Fig Newtons, but now I eat these.

Fig Newtons are my favorite cookie! I could eat an entire box in one sitting. I'll have to try the Belvitas! (Not the whole box, though).
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Hardboiled eggs are my lifesaver. Also nuts, peanut butter. Pure Protein bars are good, too
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Veggies and hummus or ranch dip
    Apple slices + sharp cheddar cheese or nut butter
    Cheese and a few crackers
    Avocado (1/2 a wholey guacamole 100 cal pack works great as a spread) and deli turkey on toast
    Peanut butter on toast
    Cup of vegetable or minestrone soup (really lots of soups are under 250 per cup)
    Toasted, seasoned chickpeas
    High fiber English muffin + pizza toppings or egg
    Popcorn mixed with a few chocolate chips, or herbs and grated parmesan
    Tuna or salmon pouch - on a lettuce wrap, with some crackers, on a rice cake
    Shrimp + cocktail sauce
  • JudyHopps2
    JudyHopps2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me with the salty craving is kosher dill pickle spears. Even one spear helps.
  • hkjones22
    hkjones22 Posts: 8 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I love getting thick turkey slices, putting a little low-fat ricotta or cottage cheese and dicing up dried mango... Then roll them up and call them turkey roll-ups! SOO GOOD! So easy. Easy to throw in a zip lock back and go to work!

I also really like smoked salmon on a rice cake... Surprisingly amazing. If you bring these to work you'll want to keep them separated so the rice cake doesn't get soggy though. Smoked salmon can be a little pricey though so I don't have this one too often.

And one more: Have you tried PB2 or the equivalent PB powders? It's basically peanut butter where they've dried the nuts and made a powder. Just add water and you have super low calorie peanut butter for dipping apples or anything else!

Can you tell I love afternoon snacks?!? :wink:

Good luck! Cheers to the journey, we got this!

[edited by MFP Mods]
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Peanut butter with anchovies.

OK, I'm willing to try anything once, but not this! LOL!!

I rely on 28 grams of nuts, usually cashews or almonds, around 160 calories, and 14 grams of 70% dark chocolate, around 75 calories...total 235.

Also, certain flavors of Larabar - pineapple, blueberry, coconut, pecan, apple, cherry, and their new beet/turmeric/ginger - that range between 150 and 200 per bar, with a piece of fruit.

Sometimes, an Epic bar - bison/cranberry, wild boar, etc. - usually around 200 calories.

Many other choices...
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Oikos Triple zero Greek yogurt and chocolate protein powder. Seriously, try it. This is extraordinarily filling.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    yogurt (0% greek), popcorn, protein bars, beef jerky, a giant veggie salad with hot sauce and a can of 100 calorie light tuna (that's actually my lunch and comes to almost less than 250). Add a diet soda to it and you're golden.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    apples, hard boiled eggs, string cheese, crackers w/ laughing cow cheese, yogurt
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    250 calories can go a long way. For example, you could have a dozen egg whites and some greek yogurt, which is the size of a meal for most.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of orange marmalade and sliced almonds.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have a bag of popcorn just about every night. Always feels like I'm indulging a bit and doesn't hurt calorie-wise.
  • she800hunter2014
    she800hunter2014 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt with cottage cheeese mixed in.
    2 Tbsp of Almond Butter
    Deli meat with cheese (wrapped)
    1/2 Avocado with 1 egg
    Handful of nuts with 1/2 an apple.