Help! Quick question about KETO

Im day 1 at keto and Im planning on drinking a protein shake. Im trying to understand this carb - fiber = net carb thing. On my protein powder nutritional label it says "Total Carbohydrates 7g" instead of just "Carbohydrate". I read some labels include net card... does this mean that this is net carbs or just regular carbs?

Replies

• cewing89
    cewing89 Posts: 14 Member
    subtract the total fiber from the total carbs and that will give you the net carbs. Be careful not to overdue on the protein. I usually avoid protein shakes since I generally get all the protein I need from my daily meals.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    In North America the labels usually give total carbs or just "carbohydrates" and then show how much was fibre and how much was sugar. Net carbs is (total) carbs - fibre.

In the UK, I believe labels give net carbs, but I'm not sure on that.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    One of the problems with protein shakes is that A LOT of them have a decent amount of added sugar. The one I use has about 4g/scoop (which is pretty low).

As far as fiber goes... Fiber IS a carb, but we don't digest it. So lets say you're eating some veggie that has 7g carbs, but 4 from fiber. In that case you have 3 net carbs (total-fiber=net).