Good protein rich foods??

Options
So as some of you might know, I have a marine overseas right now. Well yesterday I got a call from him (YAY!) and I asked him if there was anything specific he'd like me to send him, and he requested anything with protein in it. So any suggestions??? Thanks!! :)

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Well you want to be able to send things that are not going to go bad. Try raw nuts. Peanuts almonds, walnuts sumflower seeds natrual Peanut butter like smuckers. Can beans(black beans, white beans, ect ) but get the low sodium ones. Tlc Kashi bars like the trail bars or honey flax seed
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... hard-boiled eggs are my go-to protein snack, but those aren't really practical to send overseas. Almonds & other nuts are good. Beef jerky. Maybe some hard cheeses that won't spoil easily? I eat a lot of flavored protein powders mixed with water, but I don't know how practical that is for a desert, either. But definitely nuts, beef jerky, turkey jerky.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    TOTALLY YES on everything that ProTFitness said - also consider a good Protein powder - that will help immensely and they can mix it into just Water and still get the boost!!!

Tell him Thank you for us! We really appreciate him (and you) for everything he's doing!!!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    If he's not concerned about his weight, you could also include beef or turkey jerky. They are kinda high in sodium but that may be helpful if he's in a hot location. Thank him for me for his service to our country and thank you for all you have to deal with.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • jeffwalsh
    jeffwalsh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm always looking for high protein snacks to consume post workouts. I found this article by using Google and I'm sure there are lots of others out there. Some of the things on there aren't really applicable for you (such as egg whites), but others are.

http://ca.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt_60/86_eating_well.html

Also, when it says protein bars, I know a lot of my friends eat Clif Bars (I think that's how they are spelled). I stay away from them for now because they are higher in calories, but once I get to my goal weight, I would definitely think about using them (because I'll be allowed to eat a few more calories ! SWEET) haha.

Hope that helps!
  • jeffwalsh
    Options
    Also, he's doing a good job over there! I hope for his safe return :)
  • MonolithTMA
    MonolithTMA Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Check out Quest bars.

http://www.questproteinbar.com/

The vanilla almond crunch is delicious and they are made from real food!

Only problem is they aren't available in stores.

A friend turned me on to them and my fiance and I love them!
  • lindsey_mickeyd
    lindsey_mickeyd Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wow so many response already!! Thanks so much guys!!

I googled high protein foods and the best thing I was seeing was, as suggested, nuts and what not. So I suppose I'll send him a bunch of those! Also I'll try and look for the protein bars that were suggested. Not sure how much he likes them, but in his situation he can't really be all that picky can he?? Oh and he's totally not worried about putting on weight at all, it's LOSING weight that he's worried about!

And thank EVERYONE SOOOOO MUCH for all the kind words for him!!! It always means SO MUCH to me when someone tells me to thank him because honestly, not enough people do and far too many people wind up calling him a baby killer...:( So it's really good to see all the support he's getting!!

Thanks again everyone! :)
  • jeffwalsh
    Options
    Wow so many response already!! Thanks so much guys!!

I googled high protein foods and the best thing I was seeing was, as suggested, nuts and what not. So I suppose I'll send him a bunch of those! Also I'll try and look for the protein bars that were suggested. Not sure how much he likes them, but in his situation he can't really be all that picky can he?? Oh and he's totally not worried about putting on weight at all, it's LOSING weight that he's worried about!

And thank EVERYONE SOOOOO MUCH for all the kind words for him!!! It always means SO MUCH to me when someone tells me to thank him because honestly, not enough people do and far too many people wind up calling him a baby killer...:( So it's really good to see all the support he's getting!!

Thanks again everyone! :)

Hmmm. I'm wondering, would baked goods, such as cookies, make the trip over there? I'm assuming yes? Maybe there's higher protein cookies that you could find a recipe for? What he requested, but more intimate since you made it yourself :). If I find a recipe, I'll let you know :)
  • lindsey_mickeyd
    lindsey_mickeyd Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    That would be a great idea! And yeah, depending on how I packaged them, I do believe cookies would make it just fine. I'd definitely have to find some recipes for some though because I sure don't know any as of right now!! Thanks for the suggestion!!
  • jeffwalsh
    Options
    They definitely sound good! I'm sure that he'll appreciate a little piece of home as well :)

I'd go for it for sure! lol