Do you recommend purchasing a HRM?

Options
I have been on MFP for a little over 2 weeks and I am currently in my 3rd week of 15 weeks training for the Marine Corp Marathon. Do you all suggest I purchase a Heart Rate Monitor for the all the cardio I am doing? If so, please send a reputable brands.

Replies

• Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I tend to work harder when I'm wearing my HRM, just because I can actually see the calories ticking away. I have a cheap and cheerful one, but lots of folks on MFP reccomend Polar.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Absolutely! I'm pretty sure anything by Polar is great! I have one, just can't recall the specific model off the top of my head.
  • JMYGA
    JMYGA Posts: 26
    Options
    I do. I trust it more because the chest strap is where the heart is and not measuring god knows what in my hand. I have a Timex....it's not fancy...but it feeds into the machine I use and it was relatively inexpensive at $50. I know others have different brands...just saying what I have.
  • hail87666
    hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    In short, YES! I have a Polar FT7 and it's invaluable. Check it out on Amazon
  • RDTaylor13
    RDTaylor13 Posts: 160
    Options
    yes I reccommend getting yourself an HRM. it'll help give you a more accurate calories burned estimate...

As for what brand/model. everyone on here seems to say polar is the best. I purchased a Sportsline that came with a chest strap. from what I've heard it has all the same features, and does the same job as the polar's, but it cost half as much. check the local stores, and online (amazon) or the retailer websites, and check on the reviews, before you buy one.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I would say yes. I love mine, and I think if you plan on eating back excercise calories, then it's a good idea to know a more accurate number than the MFP estimation. . I have a Polar F40.
  • elysetoplin
    elysetoplin Posts: 253
    Options
    i definitely recommend purchasing a HRM; it's a much more accurate way to find out how many calories you're burning than relying on the counts on treadmills/ellipticals, and even the calculator on MFP. i have a garmin 305 that i like, my only gripe about it is that it doesn't get an accurate read when i exercise inside. i'm curious what types other people like to use.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!! It really keeps you honest with your workouts. Polar is the brand you want to buy, they have everything from the low end model that does just heart rate, the mid range which tells calories burned, and the high end that has GPS great for runners.

I highly recommend a HRM. I was really suprosed to find that i with some activities i burn loads more the mfp estimates, and with others like circuit training and tredmill, way less.

I have the polat FT4 and love it.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/06/24/exercise.myths.trainers/index.html?&hpt=hp_c2

CNN’s 10 Exercise Myths:

#10) Your cardio machine is counting the calories you're burning.
    "It doesn't mean anything," said Mark Macdonald, personal trainer and author of "Body Confidence" about the calorie numbers spit out by the cardio machine.

Some machines don't even ask for your weight or sex.
    "It's not asking your body composition," he said. "If you're at 18% body fat, you're going to burn a lot more than if you're female at 35% body fat."

And how many people know their body fat percentage?
    The number calculated by your machine is likely not accurate.

#8) Heart rate monitors will let you know how hard you're working. Heart rate monitoring is a flawed science.

The better detector of how hard you're working is not the newest, gee-whiz tech device, but your own body.
    "The perceived exertion, your own sense of how hard you're working is a much more reliable of exercise intensity," said Matt Fitzgerald, senior editor of Competitor group.

Perceived exertion means it's your estimation of how hard you are working out and surprisingly, it's very accurate, he said.
    "Your perception of your limit can change over time. So yeah, even your own perception isn't perfect. It's still better than heart rate monitor," Fitzgerald said.

Heart rates could falter depending on what kind of exercise you're doing.
    The talk test can measure how intensely you're working out depending on whether you can talk in full sentences, short phrases or if you're barely able to muster a few words.

"It's best to learn to recognize your body's signals and get a better control of your effort," said Alex Hutchinson, author of "Which Comes First: Cardio or Weights."
  • hottiewannabe
    hottiewannabe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I just got mine this week and can already tell a difference. It really helps me stay on track and I can see exactly what I'm burning. I have a Polar F6 (I think that's the right number). Got lucky...found it on clearance at $42, but there are some great deals out there. Good Luck!
  • phatsoslim
    phatsoslim Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have a Suunto M4 and I love it! Check out their website www.suunto.com. There is a test you can do on the site to see which HRM suits your needs.
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! Best investment ever.
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I do not. I have trained with HRM for marathons before and it just doesn't work for me. My heartrate is always high when I run (probably 85% of my max) and it psyches me out. I always feel like I am dying when I look down and see that my heartrate is in the 170s! If I stop running it drops down to the 140s within two minutes. So, I think the best way to train is perceived excersion! It is always better to listen to you body because your body never lies. Sometimes the head gets in the way, but you have to learn to control that too!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Joe, I just got my HRM a few days ago. A Polar FT7 I got off Amazon for $70. The FT4 is about the same model, a couple less features, but is only $50 on Amazon. I wasn't using an HRM previosuly and I am sure glad I got one! I like being able to better track my heart rate and calorie burn during cardio (running, 30DS, elliptical, basketball, etc). I have found for some workouts I am actually burning more than what I was recording without the HRM, such as running. Others, like the elliptical, are a little less than what I was recording. I am glad to know the truth, so to speak now.