Basic Combat Training

Options
Hi every one! My name is briannah and I'm just looking for some self motivated friends to add to my news feed. Yesterday I registered to enlist in the National Guard, and before I can go to basic combat training I have to loose a few pounds and get my endurance up. Part of the physical test is a 2 mile run!!

Have any of you been throw BCT? wether you have or not, feel free to add me so we can encourage each other!

Replies

• Lionheart777222
    Lionheart777222 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yep Yep went back in 2005 thank you for volunteering to serve our great country!
  • chris_james17
    chris_james17 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    04 here
  • kimbo1005
    kimbo1005 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hiyah! My hubby is currently serving in the Army Reserves. I have lost 89.5 lbs and my goal right now is to make Army weight and pass a 2 mile run!
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Yeah, good luck, recruit! Army Strong.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Retired Army. Thank you for your commitment to serve!

Your recruiter should be able to provide you with a good, specific plan to help you get ready for BCT.
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Run and work on your push ups. What MOS did you sign up for?
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm in the army reserve. 9 years this July. Ask me any questions
  • jayv85
    edited May 2017
    Options
    BTW, you'll probably run so much that the 2 mile run feels like 10 ft.

And I have an apft Saturday. So yay
  • bowens5991
    bowens5991 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Rob_in_MI wrote: »
    Run and work on your push ups. What MOS did you sign up for?

I haven't picked one yet, because I'm not officially enlisted. Once I get my body fat down more, I can complete the registration!
  • bowens5991
    Options
    jayv85 wrote: »

I did a 2mi run today and it took me forever! Can't wait until I can run it in my sleep.
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    bowens5991 wrote: »

I did a 2mi run today and it took me forever! Can't wait until I can run it in my sleep.

Oh you will......lol

Sometimes I would like to go back for a week just for the workouts
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    C25K will help you with your run.

I have used similar programs over the years. and I'm on it again.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

the best way to improve your running is to run more....
  • jayv85
    Options

You will find out that you can literally run while you sleep. Lol...

J/k. But, yes, you'll get there. If you're needing an app to help I found one called apptiv that's $10/mo and it's personal trainers that have built training programs to guide you on your workouts (voice guidance and it's got music. So no videos). I mainly use it for treadmill runs because I have no clue what to do with gym equipment, and with my work schedule running outside is out for now. I could get one of the ambassadors to give me a 30 day free trial code if you want to try it out. Just message me.
  • bowens5991
    Options

I thought about using c25k again but I'm trying to find ways to get better at self motivation. Yesterday I ran more than I would have on c25k because I was able to push myself past what I normally "think" I can do. I think it will feel the best if I can run for 2 miles knowing I didn't need an app or someone telling me what to do; just my own self discipline and perseverance.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If you're a slower ('d-group') runner when you start, do whatever you can to get out of it to a faster group! I nearly didn't make it through BCT (yikes - nearly 20 years ago!!) because I didn't push myself on the run. I could max the PU and was well over 80% on SU, but was slow-as-molasses. When I got to AIT, I pushed myself and got dropped 2+ minutes off my time.
    Train for more than 2 miles - i.e. the 5k advice you've already got and then add in sorter distance sprint days, on alternative workouts. You'll be shocked at how much easier the 2 mile is.

Congrats for wanting to join and good luck!! Prepping before you go will make it that much easier! Sounds like you're starting out with some self discipline, which you'll need :). Best wishes!
  • stanmann571
    Options

I thought about using c25k again but I'm trying to find ways to get better at self motivation. Yesterday I ran more than I would have on c25k because I was able to push myself past what I normally "think" I can do. I think it will feel the best if I can run for 2 miles knowing I didn't need an app or someone telling me what to do; just my own self discipline and perseverance.

C25K and similar programs aren't just training endurance and speed, they're also training recovery..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

The app is a training protocol...and a good one. My wife is a runner and she started with C25k...she primarily does 1/2 marathons now and follows training plans for those as well...structured training protocols are golden...pretty much all athletes follow them.

ETA: Marine Corps 1993...but I was coming right out of high school and I was a competitive athlete from 2nd grade through my senior year in track and field among other sports.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

The app is a training protocol...and a good one. My wife is a runner and she started with C25k...she primarily does 1/2 marathons now and follows training plans for those as well...structured training protocols are golden...pretty much all athletes follow them.

ETA: Marine Corps 1993...but I was coming right out of high school and I was a competitive athlete from 2nd grade through my senior year in track and field among other sports.

A structured program includes those reminders to rest and recover... It's hard when you're younger... But ultimately injury prevention is the fastest way to get faster
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

A structured program includes those reminders to rest and recover... It's hard when you're younger... But ultimately injury prevention is the fastest way to get faster

Indeed...particularly if they've never been coached and don't understand the value of structure and following a protocol for improvement. It's the most efficient way to get better...and yes, prevent injury with proper recovery which is where you get those improvements.