Fitness with bad menstrual cramps

Options
Kghaines
Kghaines Posts: 35 Member
Every month I get really bad cramps for days. Drs say it's normal, but no fun. Trying to at least take walks the days I am cramping badly. Any advise on gentle, effective, non-jumpy workouts that I can do? Thank you!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    I cycle ... it's not the greatest on the most heavy day, but on the days surrounding it, it's OK.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I just get up and do whatever workout I'd already planned, whether it's running, Crossfit, heavy squats, yoga etc. And I make sure to wear black pants/shorts.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    As Machka says, cycling, or indeed spinning, would be gentle enough. Spinning especially as it's indoors and you control the resistance.

As a side note, if the pain is stopping you from doing daily activities, keep pushing for another opinion. Endo gets missed a lot because Drs dismiss people's pain as 'normal' when in fact it should not be that bad!!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options

As a side note, if the pain is stopping you from doing daily activities, keep pushing for another opinion. Endo gets missed a lot because Drs dismiss people's pain as 'normal' when in fact it should not be that bad!!

^ This. I agree with the fitness suggestions too be but you may want to push deeper if it affects your daily activities. I also like to spend a little extra time warming up/cooling down- I don't know why but I feel like it helps ease me into workouts a little easier and helps me feel better afterwards. But honestly? I don't change my workout that much- I just know it usually isn't going too feel quite as energetic or enthusiastic as normal- sometimes that just happens.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Some months, or days of my cycle I hurt enough that I skip a workout... if after taking ibu I'm still not up for doing my daily activities then I will skip a workout if it's my day to go to the gym. You should listen to your body if you have a rough cycle on a workout day, as I learned that the hard way!! The pain can get worse and put you out for the entire day. Also- try a heating pad before a workout, for me it's just as effective as 600ibu! Get the swelling down then take it easy