How to log marinades?

Options
abungay
abungay Posts: 85 Member
Hi, I was just wondering how to log something that was marinated? Do I just put the whole marinade into my diary even though after a few hours soaking the marinade was thrown out?

-Ashley

Replies

• JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You could try weighing the marinade before you add it, weighing the marinade you throw away, and just counting the difference. I think that would work.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    You can count it all (that will be an overestimate), count none of it (a slight underestimate), or count a little of it. Even the weighing it before and after will be a bit off, as marinading exchanges some liquid between the meat and the marinade. Overall, it's unlikely to matter much.
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have often wondered this as well. Any thoughts on brining and tracking brined meat? It wouldn't really add calories but it would add sodium (which I tend to track) but I don't have any clue how to account for how much sodium.
  • abungay
    abungay Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I might just actually play around with the recipe and see what feels more accurate, I prefer a slight over estimate than a slight underestimate. So I might try logging the full, 3/4, 1/2 or 1/4 marinade and see what feels the best. Then again the marinade was mostly vinegar and therefore with a few seasoning so not many calories anyway. But I just wanted a more general answer for other ones.