Gained Weight and Didn't Lose Inches--tempted to give up

Options
I just gained 3.6 pounds in a week after having done so well. I've been exercising like a fiend (inside, though) and eating okay (with a few binges here and there), but I expected to LOSE weight when I stepped on the scale this a.m., not GAIN nearly 4 pounds! Then I thought, well, don't get discouraged--you look smaller in the mirror, you can see (some of) your ribs for the first time in forever--maybe you've lost inches. Especially with all that Jillian Michaels' Ripped in 30 I've been doing. And then I measured myself and I hadn't. What gives? I'm getting frustrated, and want to give up. Please give me a reason not to . . .

Replies

• devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race. :)

I had the same thing this morning when I stepped on the scale. I busted my *kitten* all last week, ate good, exercised... I lost .2

Keep going.

It took x amount of years to get where you are, it'll take x amount of years to shed it off.

You might be retaining water. Maybe step on it tomorrow... Don't give up though!!!
  • TinaRodina
    TinaRodina Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Everyone has rough weeks. Don't give up, you can do this!!
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Water retention and muscle growth! Muscle causes fluid retention.
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, this happens to me all the time. Just keep going, eventually your body will cooperate.
  • rdvincent
    rdvincent Posts: 52
    Options
    keep at it, healthy living is never a waste!
  • JustBill
    JustBill Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Start monitoring your sodium intake and drink more water. Oddly enough, by NOT drinking enough water you could be retaining water. And sodium contributes to that as well.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Don't give up - this is a long hard journey. Sometimes we can work as hard as we want and our own hormones mess with us. All of our bodies have different ways of doing things. If I compared myself to how most people lose weight I would just give up and become fat as a house!! I don't want that and you don't want that. You know you have been exercising so you must feel more energetic and happier. You can see a rib (that is awesome). I would also check your diary and make sure you are not starving yourself or omitting certain nutrients you need (which could be leading to your occassional binge). Good Luck and Keep up the Good Work!!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!:flowerforyou:
  • Whiskey_Byrne
    Whiskey_Byrne Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It's a minor set back that we all at some point will deal with, never give up, keep pushing on and you WILL succeed in the end :happy:
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    dont give up I fluctuate up and down maybe just water
  • dikent
    dikent Posts: 24
    Options
    Depending on what you've been eating, I'd say you are retaining water. Make sure you're getting enough water and keep on keeping on.

I know for me I wish I could just wake up at a healthy weight...way harder to take off than it was to put on, that's for sure!
  • OlibecaMom
    OlibecaMom Posts: 78
    Options
    Just keep swimming, just keep swimming! I've been talking to my doctor because I've been eating pretty healthy for awhile and added walking in a couple months ago... and still no loss. Frustrating! I understand exactly how you are feeling. WE CAN DO THIS! It will just take time. Never give up.
  • d_llopez
    d_llopez Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I agree, slow and steady! Some people do get burned out if you work out like crazy. I work out every other day and sometimes if i need a break will take 2 days off. Don't deprive yourself of your calories either but don't go overboard. You will see the pounds drop off you just have to be patient. It took some time to put all the pounds on so it's gonna take some time to take it off. You'll get there.
    When you hang in there you separate yourself from everyone else who has quit. I love this quote. "They never said it would be easy!!!They just promised it'd be worth it!"
  • Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152
    Options
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I just gained 3.6 pounds in a week after having done so well. I've been exercising like a fiend (inside, though) and eating okay (with a few binges here and there), but I expected to LOSE weight when I stepped on the scale this a.m., not GAIN nearly 4 pounds! Then I thought, well, don't get discouraged--you look smaller in the mirror, you can see (some of) your ribs for the first time in forever--maybe you've lost inches. Especially with all that Jillian Michaels' Ripped in 30 I've been doing. And then I measured myself and I hadn't. What gives? I'm getting frustrated, and want to give up. Please give me a reason not to . . .

How would giving up help you?

Did you consume 12,600 calories above your maintenance in a week? If not, then you didn’t gain 3.6 pounds of fat. High levels of carbs and sodium will make your body hold water, which is likely all that happen. Calm down, take a breath and just stay consistent.
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    This does happen to everyone at some time or another. Look back at your menu and look up the sodium on the binges you had. I have had to do this because I was getting discouraged too. If you can see the high level of sodium then it's water gain. I have to really watch my sodium. I can also go weeks without losing and then all of a sudden I will lose anywhere from 4-8 pounds in a week. Don't give up, this part all a part of changing your lifestyle. Which means we are still learning what works for our bodies. This is going to be for the rest of my life even when I hit my goal weight, I will always have to watch what I eat and exercise. I feel better when I exercise too. I recently went a couple of weeks not working out and found that I was having trouble with insomnia and depression, all junk that was a part of my old lifestyle. It doesn't have any place in my life anymore. So I'm back on track and I hope that you will get back on track too. Not just with right eating and exercise, but with your mind set. Stop being so hard on yourself and just start over. We can do this!!!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    This is completely normal, DON'T QUIT!!
  • fairfieldbeach
    fairfieldbeach Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Your motivation and kind words are priceless. I won't give up!
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're tracking your sodium intake. The exact same thing just happened to me recently and turns out I was way over my sodium almost every day... causing me to retain water and "gain" weight. A good tip someone told me is if the sodium is higher than the calories per serving, skip it.
  • Kee315
    Kee315 Posts: 33
    Options
    Don't give up! Just remember how you feel after you exercise! Also you gained weight over time so its going to take time to get it off!

Keep your head up & be proud, you have accomplished a lot!
  • ncgatorfan
    ncgatorfan Posts: 517
    Options
    C'mon, Salty Dog, don't give up now! You're doing this to get healthy, not just to lose weight! Think of all the changes you've made so far. I can understand the bingeing, but you will sooner or later come to the mindset that all your hard work with Jillian's program is not going to be ruined with a binge. It will click when you're reaching for that one piece that you think will satisfy. When that happens and the bingeing stops, it will fall off your body. A "few binges here and there" add up. Believe me, I know. HANG TIGHT!!