Protein Shake/Preworkout, or not?

Options
kenzienal
kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
Idealfit is having a little sale that enticed me. (Gimmicks, i know.) Before I ordered, I got wondering...

I plan on starting to lift next week, and some other workouts to go along with that, and wondered if I need to go purchase a protein shake and some pre-workout. Seems like thats just the standard to gym'ing.

I asked my boyfriend last night what he thought, being as he uses both, and he told me not to even bother with it yet.

I wanted to ask the advice of other fellow mfpers to get more opinions.

Should I order some preworkout and protein shakes, or should I just hold off for now because I am a beginner to lifting?

I have always just used cardio enhancer for my previous workouts, since they were mostly just running. I'm suppose to be eating about 113g of protein a day, but average probably 80grams.

(btw, if Idealfit's Chocolate Brownie Protein tastes like *kitten*, nows the time to mention that too, lol)

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    kenzienal wrote: »
    Idealfit is having a little sale that enticed me. (Gimmicks, i know.) Before I ordered, I got wondering...

I plan on starting to lift next week, and some other workouts to go along with that, and wondered if I need to go purchase a protein shake and some pre-workout. Seems like thats just the standard to gym'ing.

I asked my boyfriend last night what he thought, being as he uses both, and he told me not to even bother with it yet.

I wanted to ask the advice of other fellow mfpers to get more opinions.

Should I order some preworkout and protein shakes, or should I just hold off for now because I am a beginner to lifting?

I have always just used cardio enhancer for my previous workouts, since they were mostly just running. I'm suppose to be eating about 113g of protein a day, but average probably 80grams.

(btw, if Idealfit's Chocolate Brownie Protein tastes like *kitten*, nows the time to mention that too, lol)
    It's a FAD thing for most people. Unless one is lacking in protein, then there's really no significant benefit of an after workout protein shake.
    As for pre workouts, most are caffeine laced. Just buy caffeine by itself if that's the case. Spending up to $50 a month on it though? I'd rather buy better quality food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder for convenience and because it costs less than other forms of protein. For pre-workout I take only a handful of researched ingredients that I buy in bulk and make myself.

Generally speaking, brand name/boutique protein powder and proprietary pre-workout blends are a huge waste of money. I would get into a lifting routine first and take your time to do some research.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I don't take preworkout, I've just never felt the need. Though I may do a small protein shake about an hour before if I feel like I'll need more energy. Then I have some chocolate milk after, if I did a lot of cardio. It just makes me feel really great after a lot of cardio.

Now keep in mind I use protein powder daily to reach my protein goal and for meal convenience. I like it for my breakfast as part of a fruit and veg smoothie. And I'm also working on baking and dessert recipes with it.

I agree with the previous poster. Start lifting, see how you really feel. Do some research and then take your time deciding what type of supplements if any you actually NEED to achieve your goals.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Do you eat enough protein without using a supplemental powder? Then don't worry about a protein shake. If not, then it may make it easier to hit your protein macro for the day.

Pre-workout - skip it.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    TOTALLY personal preference. Like, totally.

Protein powder has some benefits, but if you're overall protein intake is sufficient without it, then it's really just about convenience.

Pre-workouts are largely overhyped, but caffeine (which is at the heart of most pre-workouts) is tried and true.
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Do you eat enough protein without using a supplemental powder? Then don't worry about a protein shake. If not, then it may make it easier to hit your protein macro for the day.

Pre-workout - skip it.

Pre-workout skipped!

The pre-workout I was looking into was stimulant free. I have a bit of a heart issue that too much caffeine or excitement can cause my heart to skip. So basically I guess the pre-workout would be useless.

I rarely hit my Protein goal for the day, so maybe the Protein Shake may still be worth looking into.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It also depends on what u are doing if u are training a central way u may need both I just used a protein shake after my workout n that's about 60 grams total of protein I am a firm believer that u need protein after a workout u have a half hour to get it in n liquid goes the fastest that's my opinion ....
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    TOTALLY personal preference. Like, totally.

Protein powder has some benefits, but if you're overall protein intake is sufficient without it, then it's really just about convenience.

Pre-workouts are largely overhyped, but caffeine (which is at the heart of most pre-workouts) is tried and true.

There are other active ingredients and good reasons to take or not take each of them.

Here's a good place to start

https://examine.com/supplements/