Why is the weight coming back?

Options
I thought I was doing everything right, following the diet, drinking lots of water, quit drinking soda, gave up bread and started exercising at my local swimming pool. I lost a total of 10 pounds in three weeks. I woke up the other morning and all of my weight had returned… My husband hasn't been trying as hard as I and his weight is not returning. I feel so frustrated right now. I'm used to turning to food for comfort when I feel like this and I can't do that anymore if I want to be a healthy.
Is this normal, am I alone? I'm sure I'm not the only one frustrated with their progress.

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most of your initial weight loss was water, so some has come back. Also, since you just started exercising, your muscles will hold onto water for repair and recovery. Keep at it! Weight loss takes time and is not linear. Your weight will fluctuate due to all kinds of factors (Time of the month, too much sodium, new exercise, etc). Be sure to be accurate in your logging and get a food scale if you don't already have one. You don't have to give up bread and soda or be on a "diet" - just stay within your calorie goals and you'll lose weight but it won't happen overnight!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    10lbs * 3500cal per lbs = 35 000cal.
    Unless you ate them don't sweat it.
  • chaosbutterfly
    chaosbutterfly Posts: 71 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If I had a dollar for every time I gained 10 lbs overnight lol.

Sometimes, this happens because of where you are in your cycle or if you ate something saltier or more carby than you normally would.
    Like for me, I gain like 5 lbs overnight when I'm ovulating and then like a week before TOM, no matter what I eat or do. I really only see weight loss two weeks out of the month, which is frustrating but hey. That's how it goes.

If you know that you didn't go off-program, then just keep going. Double check your food and measurements, to make sure that they are all accurate, and if so, then don't worry about it. Keep working and stay off the scale for a couple of days so you don't get discouraged. I'm sure when you weigh back in, it'll be gone again.

Also, to be 100% sure, double check/recalibrate your scale. If I get a number that looks like nonsense (in either direction LOL), I will put a 10 lb weight on it to be sure that it's weighing right. If that goes well, then I take the weight off, and hop on and off a couple of times. If I see the number again consistently, then that's what it is. But sometimes, I guess something weird was happening with the scale or someone in the house moved it and didn't tell me, because the 10 lbs will register fine, but then when I get back on, the number will be different, usually more in line with what I was expecting.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Is it that "time of the month" for you? I've been known to gain 3-8lbs of water weight because of it. Did you eat something sodium heavy the past couple days? Give it a couple weeks and see where you're at.

Even IF you're still at the current weight, don't get discouraged. Just keep on logging your food and working on a deficit and also be proud at how far you've come off the scale too. (I.e. getting fitter and being proactive with being active)
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You gained 10 pounds overnight??? How much do you weigh?
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Consider using something like trendweight.com to track your weight (Along w/MFP). That way, you can see a more linear picture of how your weight loss is going. This helps me ignore the fluctuations.

As everyone else has said, weight loss is not linear. Don't let a little fluctuation discourage you.

My advice is:

1. Get a food scale and measure and accurately log everything.
    2. Make small achievable goals (exercise 2 days a week, lose 1 lb a week instead of two, cut dessert/treats 2 days a week, drink 3 liters of water a day, etc) and don't add on any new goals or increase your goals until you are easily accomplishing them every single day/week. This is how you build habits and incorporate healthy behaviors into your daily routine. Once you've accomplished your first goal or first mini goals, you can start adding on or amping up your routine. Long-term weight loss is built on slow and steady progress. The weight-loss may not appear to be slow and steady due to fluctuation, but the loss will most often match our long-term behaviors.
    3. Focus on long-term loss, not day-to-day or week-to-week fluctuations.
    4. Keep your chin up and your eye on the prize!
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    szpwd1nz4rru.png

The posters above me have all had really good points. I just wanted to throw my weight graph in to give you a visual of how weight can fluctuate. I drink about 2,000 ml of water every day, haven't gone over my calorie limit once in 55 days, weigh at the same time, and haven't started any new exercise, but as you can see, fluctuations still happen.

I definitely recommend getting a food scale!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    damldwal6yor.jpg
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I thought I was doing everything right, following the diet, drinking lots of water, quit drinking soda, gave up bread and started exercising at my local swimming pool. I lost a total of 10 pounds in three weeks. I woke up the other morning and all of my weight had returned… My husband hasn't been trying as hard as I and his weight is not returning. I feel so frustrated right now. I'm used to turning to food for comfort when I feel like this and I can't do that anymore if I want to be a healthy.
    Is this normal, am I alone? I'm sure I'm not the only one frustrated with their progress.

I didn't hear anything about being in a calorie deficit in there...

Agreed. OP??
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Of the stuff you mentioned, only exercise is important, but exercise doesn't help you lose weight if you don't eat less than you burn.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Trust these guys! Get a food scale. Weigh and log everything that goes in your mouth.