Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Getting enough sleep is key for some.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I find playing video games works well, as it keeps my hands occupied. Can't eat if you don't have time to do the hand-to-mouth thing!
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ahnamac wrote: »
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm reducing my calorie and fat intake a lot right now. I'm talking about getting through the first couple of weeks of that. I'm eating consistently throughout the day, protein, veg, etc. I'm meal planning. I'm exercising. I'm drinking tons of water. I got all of that. What I need is something to help with the cravings for the things I'm not eating (bagels with lots of cream cheese, for example), and for those cravings, what do you do? Exercise, distraction, water, none of it works in those moments for me.

no your clear. My response is the same. Your eating to little or macros are to off. You shouldn't have massive cravings. Why did you reduce "fat alot" ? How many grams? Fat doesn't make you fat.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? You really could just be too aggressive with your goal.

You say you are reducing fat. Many people find it a key component to reducing hunger and it's an essential macro for many bodily functions.

And play around with you meal timing. Maybe eating lots of little meals and snack throughout the day is horrible for controlling your appetite where for others it's perfect. I skip breakfast on workout days because I'm generally not hungry in the morning. I'd rather eat more for lunch and dinner.

So it can take some experimenting but I'd like to know what your calorie goal is first of all.
  • joshuak30
    joshuak30 Posts: 110 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    "... Today was rough. 4pm I was starving, but I ate healthy snacks and meals regularly throughout the day."

In my experience eating throughout the day is counterproductive for appetite suppression. What you're doing is stoking your hunger hormones(look up Ghrelin) all the time, thereby telling your body to expect and prepare for food on a near-constant basis. Limit snacking, eat at set mealtimes, eat adequate protein and calories, and drink a lot of water with electrolytes.

Cutting too much and eating an unbalanced diet are usually the culprits with constant cravings and hunger.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It took me a little while to get used to eating my calorie deficit too. I wouldn't say I was starving, but I did miss my old way of eating. If I could fit it into my calorie count I'd have a healthier snack instead, other times I just went out for a walk to distract myself. After the first week I had that a lot less, and by the second week I think I'd adjusted. Then I had my TOM and I've had cravings like crazy... But if you're weighing and counting calories and getting good nutrition you're probably fine. Often the cravings are more mental than anything else and they trick you into feeling like you're starving. But it never hurts to review what you're eating and make sure you're getting what you need.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I find getting a high amount of lean protein and 10 servings of vegetables a day is the best appetite suppressant. However, you need a certain amount of fat in your diet, and it can be very satiating as well. An excellent snack is a small amount of hummus or guac with some carrot sticks or bell pepper slices, or maybe a large apple and an ounce of cheese.

I drink diet soda or tea with just the tiniest amount of sugar or honey as well, and that helps.

A cappuccino in the mid-morning is also a great suppressant and helps me kick some serious butt at my noon workout.

You just have to figure out what works for you and then gear your daily plans around that. I try to get all my needs met with real food rather than supplements and such. (I will eat a Quest bar from time to time if I don't get my snacks packed for the day: one bar is 190 calories and has 15 g fiber and 20 g protein.)
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting. I actually get hungrier at lunchtime if I have a small breakfast. If I skip breakfast all together, my morning hunger is very manageable.

A nice hot cup of broth soothes hunger and my salty cravings. I just add some chicken boullion powder to hot water. Sometimes I throw in a bit of gelatin powder for protein and health purposes. Tom Yum soup boullion is also super tasty.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Coffee, green tea and getting good nutrients from the foods I eat helps me :)
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Low fat or fat free yogurt holds me over.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Caffeine works great for me...is also super cheap in pill form.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'd also love to know how and when folks eat what to keep from feeling hungry. Today was rough. 4pm I was starving, but I ate healthy snacks and meals regularly throughout the day.

I have found that I do best when I have a lot of protein with my breakfast, and when my breakfast is my biggest meal of the day. I usually have a protein shake with almond milk and a banana blended in around 6am, then around 9am I will have either an English muffin with 1 egg (and maybe a slice of Swiss) or steel cut oatmeal with berries. I might have a Greek yogurt or hard boiled egg late morning if my lunch is going to be later than noon. If I don't have a good deal of protein for breakfast I'm starving by lunch and spend the rest of the day snacking every two hours trying to keep the hunger at bay.

The other thing I have to do is eat a fat or protein with my fruits/veggies when I have a snack. If I don't do this my blood sugar drops about an hour after I eat it and I get lightheaded and a headache. So apple or banana w/peanut butter, carrots /hummus, fruit w/string cheese or nuts are how I do snacks.
  • mellylord
    mellylord Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Favorite appetite suppressants for those between meal cravings? I'm loving this lavender lemonade kombucha today (House brand).

My male co-worker swears by kombucha and lost about 20 pounds in a reasonable amount of time but he's a guy and could probably hold his breath to lose weight. lol Seriously though, if it works for you, stick with it.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I wish there were such a (reliable, non-side-effect-y) thing. I doubt it. Even OTC stuff that I tried a jillion years ago when I was young and stupid didn't work. Trust me, I'm lazy (or would be if I didn't push myself). If there were reliably such a thing, and within relatively easy access, I'd be there. I'd be popping a pill. AFAIK, there isn't. So instead of popping pills I'm redefining what "a portion" is (hint: NOT 64 oz. of Mountain Dew and NOT a restaurant plate), eating high-volume, lower-calorie foods and plenty of protein, and working out.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    If I only have an hour or so to meal time, I find a stick of gum can help tide me over for a bit.