Dry protein to add to coffee?

Options
Ohwhynot
Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
This morning, I tried putting Solgar Whey to Go in my coffee and the taste was good but the texture was atrocious. I'd like to keep something at my desk (non perishable). Any recommendations for a protein powder that will blend by spoon with hot coffee? I have heard great things about the RTD premier protein shakes, but I'm really looking for something I can store in my desk. Thanks! Bonus kudos for something that's mostly just protein, low carb/fat.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I use a hydrolysed collagen.... No flavour, no carbs or fat. I buy great Lakes brand

It mixes in hot and cold - it doesn't clump like whey will.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    don't. do. it. Trust me here lol
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I also sometimes add collagen hydrolysate to liquids. I'm more likely to stir it into some soup or hot tea, but it works in coffee, too. It has 11 grams of protein in 12 grams of the powder and stirs in without clumps or flavor. It also makes my eyelashes grow really long.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Don't add the powder directly to your coffee. Start by making a whey slurry with a bit of water or milk then temper it with coffee like you would eggs for custard. An even safer bet would be to make iced coffee. Cold coffee will not denature the protein.

This.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Fwiw, you can also use just regular powdered milk. As long as the coffee isn't steaming hot, it should mix in fine.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    PESscience coffee protein powder. It is a protein coffee that you mix with hot water.
  • Ohwhynot
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    PESscience coffee protein powder. It is a protein coffee that you mix with hot water.

Waaaaaaat! I need to try this!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Mix some whey protein and instant coffee with water (or milk) in a shaker cup and let it sit overnight in the fridge. Add some ice. It's legit.
  • Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    collagen peptides!
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I find with any brand I've had, the coffee needs to be more luke warm for it to blend with a spoon. I also find using a fork works better as well. I normally had 1/2-1 cup of whole milk to a shaker with my coffee and PP and it works like a charm.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I keep a shaker cup and Isopure Whey Isolate or Isopure Dutch Chocolate in my desk drawer. I mix the coffee and protein powder (usually add choco milk to the isolate mixture) and then wash out the shaker cup in the bathroom sink.
  • brealsweet
    brealsweet Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've never done it with hot coffee, but with Iced Coffee I add a scoop of Dymatize ISO in Birthday Cake and it's SO good. I fold napkins into squares and put it over the straw hole & shake it up really well. The Birthday Cake is too sweet by itself, so that's what inspired me to try that. You could use a blender bottle too.

If I were to do it with hot coffee I would imagine mixing the protein w/ a little milk or water first would be best. Idk, I just think protein in hot coffee would be gross.

• Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    Every morning I walk out the door with a protein latte. I use ISOpure cookies and cream. One scoop with a large (k cup) and blend in my ninja.

I am out at the moment and using a back up protein. Not as good by far and the last sips taste like mud!!!

Isopure is the best I have found.
  • Natso29
    Natso29 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I make a big mason jar full of coffee (French press) and keep it in the fridge and then just use it half and half with almond milk to make my protein shakes (usually chocolate so it tastes like an iced latte). Delicious and easy and i never burn my mouth
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I find casein works better. I use a mini whisk.
  • Ohwhynot
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • LookingBusy
    LookingBusy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you are making your coffee at home (or have access to a blender/bullet mixer at work), try blending the protein powder with enough liquid (either milk or coffee) so that it mixes. I do this with my iced coffees. It seems to help the texture quite a bit.
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Dayle1984 wrote: »
    collagen peptides!

Do you have favorite brands? Thx.
  • Ohwhynot
    Options
    It went OK with my iced coffee today so thankfully it's just about regular iced coffee season. Thanks again for the tips, all!