New mom trying to lose baby weight and all the weight I had before the baby.

Options
I am a new mom (10 weeks) and working towards a new me so I can be healthy for my son. I was over weight before having him and now 20lbs even more since pregnancy. My goal is to be back down to a healthier weight which at my height of 5'5" is around 185 as a start. I started my journey toward my goal 2 weeks ago at 249 and am now down 9 lbs with daily exercise and watching what I eat. I know it's going to be a long road and hoping to make this a life style change so I can continue my transformation.

Replies

• heather4life4
    heather4life4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Keep up all your hard work! You can do this!
  • TDiaz1020
    TDiaz1020 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm also a new mom to a 7wk old tomorrow, I also was battling weight prior to pregnancy. With my highest weight at 215, I'm now at 177 due to a lot of pregnancy complications (which I'm not complaining about the weight loss portion) but I still have a ways to go with all this extra weight and skin. I don't have a goal weight in mind I just want to feel healthy and energized.
  • DesiDesi2016
    DesiDesi2016 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have an 8 month old and I'm in the best shape of my life since switching to a plant-based diet. Have you seen Forks Over Knives or read The China Study? Being healthy is much easier when you understand the science behind the links between diseases and nutrition.
  • Asianlila
    Asianlila Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Im a mom to 3..i lost 60 lbs after my 2 with a similar version of the ketogenic diet..check it out..
  • DesiDesi2016
    Options
    Carbs are great for you though. Ketogenic diets are associated with long term negative health outcomes (cancer, kidney stones and diseases linked to high animal product consumption). Eating a variety of whole plant-based foods is the way to go and is a sustainable way to achieve optimal health.
  • sreynolds022
    sreynolds022 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a mom of two girls, one is four and the other is almost eight months. Both of my girls were C-sections, not to mention I was heavy before having them. So I am in the same situation trying to lose previous weight and baby weight. It's hard to stick to a diet, but the exercise is easy. I do Zumba six days a week, and I actually look forward to it.
  • Asianlila
    Options
    I limit my carbs..and eat more protein..i eat less fat as well.. the diet i follow isnt entirely ketogenic but it works for me.Ive had 2 babies 14 months apart both c sections and gained 60 lbs with each of them.Lost baby weight in 5 months to find my self pregnant again..then gained 60 lbs and after i had my 2 lost all the weight 5 months after that.Of course i exercised 6 days a week.i kickbox..

• Asianlila
    Options
    Asianlila wrote: »
    Im a mom to 3..i lost 60 lbs after my 2 with a similar version of the ketogenic diet..check it out..

I dont eat high fat either..bit im not a plant diet girl..im korean and love korean bbq..i dont agree to eating all the high fat..but i do agree in cutting out high carb foods that are bad.
  • Asianlila
    Options
    ehowders wrote: »
    Carbs are great for you though. Ketogenic diets are associated with long term negative health outcomes (cancer, kidney stones and diseases linked to high animal product consumption). Eating a variety of whole plant-based foods is the way to go and is a sustainable way to achieve optimal health.

Some carbs are good..like vegetables..but cutting carbs like bread sugar etc..is the best way to go..Eating only plant fisd is a hard diet to stick with..especially when people like me love meat☺i eat healthy..im very healthy..Just need to lose this weight from baby number 3 now which has been going pretty good cuting carbs and working out
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

I dont eat high fat either..bit im not a plant diet girl..im korean and love korean bbq..i dont agree to eating all the high fat..but i do agree in cutting out high carb foods that are bad.

Nothing wrong with carbs. :noway:
  • DesiDesi2016
    Options
    Avoiding highly processed and refined foods and opting for Whole Foods is great regardless of eating pattern. Tastebuds and perceived difficulty of eating plant based aside...there's an impressive body of research linking intake of animal foods with all the diseases people simply blame on obesity and aging. It's more complicated than that and as simple as focusing on plant foods for optimal health. I'll step off my soapbox now..just saying...do the research..read the China study or watch forks over knives for a condensed version and then get back to me lol
  • DesiDesi2016
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You can make plant based versions of all your fav animal based foods that are delicious. There may be a small adjustment period but your tastes will change and the benefits are so worth it. I think meat tastes good but I value my health and my body more than meat taste (esp when there are so many great alternatives)
  • sfgonzales
    sfgonzales Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm a new mom of 10 weeks as of today with the same goals!
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I limit my carbs..and eat more protein..i eat less fat as well.. the diet i follow isnt entirely ketogenic but it works for me.Ive had 2 babies 14 months apart both c sections and gained 60 lbs with each of them.Lost baby weight in 5 months to find my self pregnant again..then gained 60 lbs and after i had my 2 lost all the weight 5 months after that.Of course i exercised 6 days a week.i kickbox..

You don't know if OP is breastfeeding, if she is, cutting carbs is not the best move for mom or baby. Carbs give you energy and errr OP has a 10 week old. Like was said before carbs aren't bad.