Back again...!

Options
beckarini
beckarini Posts: 78 Member
So, I'm back again. It's a long time since I used MFP for weight loss, and I've gone up 10kg in the 5 years I haven't used it.
I know it's my own fault and I want to change this. I'm 27, a type 1 diabetic and I take thyroxine for my underactive thyroid, and I know this can make me crave carbs/sugar etc. I know what I have to do with my diet and I know it just needs more love and attention, as well as fewer treats.

I used to be very active, but a new and demanding job, buying a house and family issues have shifted my focus, so I have signed up for the Great South Run (UK, 10 miles) in October to motivate me to exercise properly and give me something to aim for. I also used to love to dance but now hate what I see in the mirror, so am restarting weekly classes for that.

Does anyone have any advice for motivation, for a newbie to starting running, and to keeping yourself accountable? I'm so worried I will try to do this and then fall off the wagon soon after - because I love my treats too much!

Thanks for your help and support :)

Replies

• MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    beckarini wrote: »

Does anyone have any advice for motivation, for a newbie to starting running, and to keeping yourself accountable? I'm so worried I will try to do this and then fall off the wagon soon after - because I love my treats too much!

Thanks for your help and support :)

Love yourself more. YOU ARE WORTH IT!
  • mrmrsp2014
    mrmrsp2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!! I am back too for the accountability. The first step in motivation is to use positive statements instead of believing you will fail. Take one day at a time. Also before you have those treats, drink a glass of water and occupy yourself with something else for about 30 minutes. If you still want it, eat half. The worst part is depriving yourself all at one time. We have to train our minds in order to train our bodies. If you are not happy about your habits for today dust yourself off and try again tomorrow. Start of slowly and give yourself personal goals for each week by increasing total exercise time over time. When you beat one weekly goal reward yourself with something healthy!
  • celestestar
    celestestar Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm back again too
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    *sigh* also back here again. I can sympathize with the medical challenges, as I take thyroid meds too (hypothyroid without them). While I'm not diabetic, I've found that I have to be very careful about the foods I eat - gluten & dairy cause autoimmune flares for me. I've also found that any type of hormonal birth control (currently Mirena IUD) throws my thyroid (and weight) into chaos and amplify the difficulty. My diabetic friends say that I eat a lot like them.

My first mini-goal is to lose 10 pounds. I'd love some accountability partners who have also a slow-and-steady approach.

I'm a "retired" marathon runner, 36, with a 20-25 lb target loss. While I no longer do as much cardio, I'm a fairly active person so set my calorie goals around 1600, which makes for slow (sometimes discouraging) progress.

If you can find a local running club, it may help your motivation. I'm happy to keep in touch for cyber motivation.
  • Lifeisrightnow
    Lifeisrightnow Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Same here ! Back and on Day 2 ;) Feel free to add me all of you !