Looking for a 60 and over group

Options
Turning 60 and a new weight gain has me in a situation o need to change now! I have 30 lbs to lose and I finding it hard this last 6 months!

Replies

• gapete347
    gapete347 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    have you found a older group?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm 62. Haven't seen any over 60 groups, but haven't been looking. I think there is an over 50 group. I have 20# to lose and have lost 11. My advice- be patient. It takes awhile.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I just did a quick search and I didn't see one that had been active in the past 2 years.
    There is a 55-65 thread that is quite active.

I am 63 and have been maintaining 7 years.

@cecehite19 with only 30 lbs to lose it is going to be slow. It is slow at any age. It took me a year to lose 30. The first 5-8 came off at about 1lbs a week, then it got slower and slower until I was losing less than 1lbs a month. Part of this was because not only am I older, I am also quite petite.

Upping your daily activity, not just exercise, will help burn a few extra calories. All those years we spent being efficient with the house work, forget them, put the laundry away in several trips, same with the groceries, etc.
    :) Maybe this is why I always misplace things- I get a couple of thousand steps in looking for them :)

Do try to do some kind of resistance/strength training to help with muscle retention and bone density. In the same vein make sure you are getting enough protein. ~.8g per lbs of ideal body weight.

There are quite a few over 60's that hang around, and mix and mingle with the 20, 30, 40, 50, & 70 yr olds in the forums so don't feel alone.

Cheers, h.