Soda addiction ideas

Options
Here is an idea that worked for me I thought I'd share it with you.

I am addicted to soda but I realized that it might be one of the main reasons why my belly area is still not getting smaller. I tried this method and it worked really fine. We fear from social media criticism so I decided to take a picture of the last soda can Iam having and post it quoting that this is the last time I am having this for example (or you can say a year from now I can have a sip again) and just like that I stopped. I always replace it with water or fresh juice and by time (not much maybe a week) you will realize that you don't even miss it at all.

Let me know if it works with you!

D

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda, so replacing that with juice=going over my calories for the day....most likely. Carbonated drinks do not have anything to do with a big belly, excess calories do.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I just drink the zero versions.

^Agreed. I love my Coke Zero.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Me too. Not a lot of it, because I'm a coffee lover and already get more caffeine than I need, but occasionally. I hate getting calories in beverages (other than an occasional smoothie that substitutes as a meal) so avoid juice most of the time.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I do not drink soda - water - home made ice tea n got to have my coffee - I also have a juicer, you might want to look into one too
  • Billaskrill
    Billaskrill Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For those who don't like the taste of the zero versions you can try this. Water the soda down incremently. Pour the pop into a cup and fill a quarter of the glass with water. As time goes on fill half the cup then three quarters. As you do this over the period of a few weeks the original pop will be way too sweet for you.
  • rbnb
    rbnb Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    LaCroix water. It worked great for me. Just like beer, there is a bit of a time to acquire the taste, but since it's carbonated, it should help with your soda cravings immensely. And you can drink it guilt free - 0 calories.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

This.

Replacing soda with juice won't help because juice has the same, if not more calories than soda.

And just as much, if not more, sugar.

Soda doesn't make you fat; too many calories makes you fat, no matter where they come from.
  • bbpoutine
    bbpoutine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to diet coke. It is 0 calories but i know that it isn't good for us. I intend to buy a soda stream and if I add some fruits to it. Hope this will work.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    Options
    bbpoutine wrote: »
    I am addicted to diet coke. It is 0 calories but i know that it isn't good for us. I intend to buy a soda stream and if I add some fruits to it. Hope this will work.

Why isn't it good for you?
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    PikaJoyJoy wrote: »

I would assume because of the artificial sweetener.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ksz1104 wrote: »

Very popular misconception.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Coke, Root Beer, Sprite, Cream Soda, Nestea and a couple of others all have zero calorie versions. So for ppl that aren't ready, or willing to just give up soda completely there is a nice broad range of soda options for you.
  • Lisa8179
    Lisa8179 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    coke zero and sprite zero for me .. of course some water too

no calories, taste just like the real deal and doesn't affect my glucose levels
  • PikaJoyJoy
    Options

I'll just direct you to Anvil's post since he beat me to it :tongue:
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    La croix and Klarbrunn sparkling waters got my entire family off soda.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

There are a couple of good discussions on artificial sweeteners. I'm not sure what @bbpoutine thought wasn't healthy, so I don't know if that was it.

In general, sodas aren't great for you. I'm not saying dangerous, but just not the healthiest. For example, they contain phosphoric acid, which can weak tooth enamel. There are also some chemical ingredients that are questionable. I'm not saying they're dangerous, but I also wouldn't fault anyone for wanting to play it safe by avoiding them.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »

There are a couple of good discussions on artificial sweeteners. I'm not sure what @bbpoutine thought wasn't healthy, so I don't know if that was it.

In general, sodas aren't great for you. I'm not saying dangerous, but just not the healthiest. For example, they contain phosphoric acid, which can weak tooth enamel. There are also some chemical ingredients that are questionable. I'm not saying they're dangerous, but I also wouldn't fault anyone for wanting to play it safe by avoiding them.

Water?

Which chemical are you on about?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Here is an idea that worked for me I thought I'd share it with you.

I am addicted to soda but I realized that it might be one of the main reasons why my belly area is still not getting smaller. I tried this method and it worked really fine. We fear from social media criticism so I decided to take a picture of the last soda can Iam having and post it quoting that this is the last time I am having this for example (or you can say a year from now I can have a sip again) and just like that I stopped. I always replace it with water or fresh juice and by time (not much maybe a week) you will realize that you don't even miss it at all.

Let me know if it works with you!

D

We fear from social media criticism? What does that mean?

Being afraid of what strangers would say on the interwebs helped motivate you to give up drinking soda? How so? What criticism were you encountering, and why would you let that bother you?

I'm not saying you shouldn't give up drinking soda - it's a personal choice and many people find it to be an effective way to reduce calories. I personally drink Diet Coke, have for about 25 years, and would never let the judgement of someone on social media determine whether or not I continue drinking something I enjoy.