strength training at the gym

Options
babyblake11
babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
i want to start strength training at the gym but ive never been and im quite inexperienced.
tips?

Replies

• yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Get a personal trainer. If you can't afford a trainer go with a friend who has experience lifting or do some research watching youtube videos. It is really important that you use correct technique when lifting.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Write down a plan before you go!!! If not you will end up standing there nkot knowing what to do next. Deciede before you go what you are working(arms, legs, back, shoulders, chest) and pick 4 exercies you like, and do them 3-4 times, with a 30 second rest inbetween. Also deciede if you want light weight, lots of reps...or heavy weight little reps! If you do strength training the right way it will be an AMAZING workout!!!! Have fun at the gym;)
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Many gyms will either have it so the staff can teach you, or one intro-session with a trainer. See if either of these are possible for you. Like the other person said, good form is important.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    i want to start strength training at the gym but ive never been and im quite inexperienced.
    tips?

I would recommend...

The New Rules of Lifting for Women book
    Or Starting Strength (also a book)
    Or StrongLifts 5x5 (www.stronglifts.com)

All of these programs/resources will teach you the exercises and proper technique and focus on lifting heavy weights, which is what you need to do, don’t worry you will not get “bulky”.
  • MegViking
    MegViking Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A great place for beginners is the Nerd Fitness website, http://www.nerdfitness.com. There's a Video page with a lot of good body weight strength exercises (http://nerdfitness.com/blog/how-to-videos/).

If you want to do more serious power lifting, I would strongly suggest "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippletoe. It is THE book for barbell training for beginners, because it emphasizes good form, and good form is the only way to train safe from injury.

Most of all, however, I would remember that there's two big myths about weight training you should realize right now. It is great for women to lift heavy, just like men. The only difference between us and men is that because we only have 1/30 of the testosterone in our body, we do not bulk up, we slim down and tone. (Proof: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/). And the whole high reps/low weight thing is B.S. Unless you're lifting heavy enough to actually do some kind of work on your muscles, you'll just be wasting a lot of gym time. So lift heavy, and lift safe. Good luck!!
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Starting at the gym can be daunting but stick with it. Definitely look at getting a trainer. A trainer will help introduce you to the equipment, give you a routine to follow and ensure you don't hurt yourself.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Go for a trainer if you can.. thats how I got started in lifting weights.

Also google... there are lots of articles and videos on how to lift weights.