Would you say something?

Options
A woman that I work with complains constantly about not being able to lose weight. I typically do not pay attention to what other people are eating/doing, but because of her obvious frustration, I started to notice her habits.

She does 30 minutes of cardio each morning in our company gym, but then follows it up with a protein bar, nuts, and a bottle of gatorade, which I would assume negates whatever calories she just burned.

She snacks all day on almonds, hummus, and yogurt, because they are "good for you". She says she is eating only "healthy foods", but does not appear to be counting calories. She is short and overweight, but not obese, so I would assume her calorie margin of error is relatively small.

She is now saying that she is just "destined to be fat forever" and should just give up.

Would you say something? I have NEVER offered advice to anyone unless asked, and even then I am careful. She has not directly asked anyone for advice, just kind of complained in everyone's general direction.

We are not friends, but have a friendly work relationship. She is a nice person and is obviously very frustrated because she thinks she's doing everything right.

I am leaning towards just mentioning MFP to her and saying that it worked for me. End of advice, let her figure out the rest. But, I'm wondering if even that is overstepping and I should just mind my own business. After all, these are just observations and assumptions and I am obviously not close enough with her to know what her lifestyle outside of work is like.

So, I'm kind of torn and wondering if anyone else has been in this situation.

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    "Do you actually want to lose weight or just b!tch about being fat?"

I'd ignore her.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, it's tricky. I'd normally advise against getting involved at all, because she might take it the wrong way and make your work relationship awkward. Most of the time, it's a good idea not to give advice unless directly asked.

But because she's bringing it up so much, maybe casually mentioning MFP in the break room might be useful. Or strike up a conversation with someone else within her earshot and tell them about this amazing weight loss website you've been using called MY FITNESS PAL to count your calories!
  • neekonico
    neekonico Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice above. Tell them that you have some tips and tricks that have worked for you and that you are willing to share if they are interested. If not, than they are on their own.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    "Would you be open to hear some things I've learned during my own weight loss?" That is the most I'd say. If she agrees to listen then you can talk to her about calories, etc, but don't be too surprised if she shoots down all your suggestions with, "that doesn't work for me".
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has great advice. I work with several women. Most of them like the idea of losing weight but really don't care to put in the effort. They rather have a "magic pill", crash diet or complain. I think it depends on her personality.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I'm going to ponder all the advice for a while and decide what to do (if anything). I appreciate the feedback and different points of view.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    "Oh shoot i forgot to log my breakfast on my fitness pal, i better do it now quickly"

If shes interested she will either ask you what it is or she will google and check it out herself
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Its always 'mind my own business' unless they ask for advice specially. I am not a mind reader.

...if you two know each other really well or well enough, I would assume both of you have a good enough rapport to give such advice..