Thyroidism impacts my weight loss journey!

Options
maquin
maquin Posts: 16 Member
edited May 2017 in Motivation and Support
I am not losing much weight.. Sometimes I even go up in pounds.. I have thyroid issues, just seen my doctor yesterday and there are definitely more questions than answers.. he is sending to get a thyroid ulaltrasound, but no meds or anything... I wish there was something that would help...i never work out but i Make smart choices in the kitchen, I currently am doing the Low Carb diet .. I am the type of person whose body responds quick when there are changes, and the weight starts coming off... so the only thing it can be is my thyroid.. Does anyone have suggestions or encouragement for me ..I would appreciate it.. Helllppp... Feeling so DiscourAged..

Replies

• maquin
    Options
    I forgot to mention in a couple days I am up in weight by 3 lbs.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    have you had blood work done? if your in the normal level for thyroid levels, getting prescribed meds can be hard - but ordering an ultrasound is a good sign - it means they want to see more of what is going on (things like Hashimoto's doesn't always show up in blood work) - I was in the same place a few years ago

@CSARdiver can provide more information on adjusting diet and the caloric intake

but I've been thyroidless for 3yrs now (removed in 2014) and I'm down 12lbs just by watching and logging my intake - I don't do low carb or something special like that
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    You need to keep going to the doctor and get answers, not excuses. Maybe he is waiting for the results of the U/S to determine if there is something anatomically wrong with the gland before giving you meds. Did you ask why he wants to do a U/S of the thyroid? Did he run a full thyroid blood test (TSH, T3, T4, antibodies, etc...) already?

Please insist in detail information about his diagnosis, prognosis and treatment. You deserve that and if you are not satisfied with the answers and if your insurance allows it, request a second opinion or a referral to and endocrinologist.

In the meantime, enter your data in MFP and go for .5 to 1lb weight loss a week, measure and weight your food and try to do some exercise too to help you manage your weight. Good luck!
  • maquin
    Options
    Thank you both I appreciate it.. yes I did the lab work.. but they take so long to get me scheduled for a appointment so I have to do New labs
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Im sorry for your thyroid troubles. Weight fluctuations are normal, so that in and of itself proves nothing except that you are normal. I don't have thyroid probs but my weight fluctuates several pound a week. Do you weigh your food on a digital scale and log everything in MFP? What is your height & weight? Eating how many Cal's? Only a doctor can address your thyroid issues, but people here can help you fine tune your weight management practices.i know you feel you're doing everything perfectly, but anyone who is not losing has room to learn.
  • maquin
    Options
    Yes I will take all the help I can .. I was taking in 1400 now I am dropping to 1200..
  • maquin
    Options
    Right now I weigh 172.. i am 5 ft tall..
  • Morganbennett1
    Morganbennett1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    At 5' tall and 172 lbs you could potentially lose weight in the 1200-1400 calorie range. If you aren't doing any exercise at all, it is going to be hard to maintain if you do. It will also depend on the types of foods you are eating. Make sure to accurately log everything, and allow some time for the changes to take effect. Many people see an initial weight go up in the first few weeks because your body is adjusting to a new calorie intake and different types of food. Check in with your doctor, get as many details about possible conditions as possible, then go from there.

I have a thyroid condition, and depending on my levels, my weight can drop or go up a few pounds fairly quickly, but once you get on a treatment plan, everything should even out. If you are eating at a deficit, you should see loss even with a thyroid condition, just give it time.
  • maquin
    Options
    Thank you for your advice.. im trying my best to stay positive.. i am back to logging everything again.. i hope i see change .. i recently was logging and even fasting for about a month.. very strict but still was barley making any progress..right now i am lucky if i lose a couple pounds a month ...
  • lorrpb
    Options
    2 lbs per month is good progress, especially in light of the thyroid issues. Are you weighing your food?
  • maquin
    Options
    No i dont usually weigh it.. i will usually have a piece of boneless chicken. Or shrimp.. how should i go about that
  • lorrpb
    Options
    You need a food scale. Put your food & various ingredients on it one by one. Then assign the calories based on weight. It's more accurate than eyeballing or measuring. Hopefully someone will post a link to the instructions. Or you can read about it in the sticKY posts. I can't type a long description right now.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    maquin wrote: »
    No i dont usually weigh it.. i will usually have a piece of boneless chicken. Or shrimp.. how should i go about that

a piece of boneless chicken - that could be 3oz, it could be 6oz - there is a huge variation in size and thus calories associated

shrimp - 4oz, 6oz etc - one is 90cal, the other is 144cal - all of that adds up
  • bapity88
    bapity88 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have hypothyroidism. I can eat 900 calories and gain 2 lbs. Losing weight with thyroid issues really sucks. I hope you get your test results soon so you can get the proper meds if needed.
  • maquin
    Options
    Thank you..
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You're losing - claim that victory and don't try and lose the weight too fast. It sounds like you're just starting out on this. Don't get discouraged.

Did your doctor order TSH or a thyroid panel yet? Nodules are a good start, but you need all the data points to make any accurate diagnosis including fT3, fT4, rT3. You should also log as meticulously as possible and present this to your doctor, although understand that most physicians don't get much training in weight management and likely to regurgitate a lot of diet myths.

Hypothyroidism impacts your Resting Energy Expenditure by ~5%, so really minimal impact on your metabolism. What the hormonal shifts will do is impact your hunger triggers and satiety, which makes it critical to form a routine for yourself and log as accurately as possible, especially in the beginning.

I put on ~70 lbs over 14 years after my thyroidectomy. This had little to do with my thyroid, but I transitioned from a high active military career to a cushy civilian job in academia, I had no clue what I was eating and rarely if ever worked out. Once I discovered MFP and started logging I lost 60 lbs the first year through a safe and manageable calorie deficit.

Take this slowly - small steps and think marathon over sprint.

Feel free to ask my anything.
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Spent the last eight years getting diagnosed, don't put all your eggs in the thyroid basket just yet. Our bodies endocrine system is so complex and interwoven, you might be surprised as things develop that there is more than meets the hormonal eye at first glance. All the best!
  • SMGMama3
    SMGMama3 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and I thought that was my problem. It is only part of my problem. The other part is hormones. Mine are out of whack. Maybe that could also be a cause for you as well? I would definitely ask for labs to be drawn to rule things out. It is a battle but you can do it! You are your own best advocate for your health!