Calories

Options
Hey so I just went over my calories by 500 today and my calorie goal is 1200. I usually never meet my calorie goal I'm either under it by 50-300 sometimes 400 depending if I worked out. What should I do for tomorrow? Work out like crazy cardio wise and lower my calorie intake to 1000 or ...??

Replies

• JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    At 1200 calories, what is your overall deficit? To answer you question, it sounds like this does not happen often, if that is the case don't overthink it, go back to your 1200 calories tomorrow, especially if you are saying you are usually under, for the week you will still be in a deficit so I would not worry about it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hey so I just went over my calories by 500 today and my calorie goal is 1200. I usually never meet my calorie goal I'm either under it by 50-300 sometimes 400 depending if I worked out. What should I do for tomorrow? Work out like crazy cardio wise and lower my calorie intake to 1000 or ...??

Why would you do anything like working out more or lowering your calorie goal? You're already not meeting your calorie goal most days (you might want to work meeting it more often), so you have plenty of calories banked for a little overage, and 500 calories over probably doesn't even put you over maintenance for the day. I don't see why you'd want to do anything drastic because of a little overage like this.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Nothing... eat at 1200.

And stop eating less than 1200 cals before you do yourself some lasting damage - you're massively under eating
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

If 1200+500 is under your maintenance calories.....you still have an overall deficit. 1200 is just a default minimum, so you likely still have a deficit anyway. Lots of women eat more than 1200 on a regular basis and still lose weight.

Instead of risking going over here and there - maybe take a second look at 1200. Is it too restrictive? Perhaps settle on something a little bit higher. That might make consistency easier. Another method is calorie zig-zagging. Keeping your calories lower a few days a week to allow for more breathing room the rest of the week. My problem was weekends....now I eat at maintenance those days.
  • samanthajoeaguero1015
    Options

Nothing... eat at 1200.

And stop eating less than 1200 cals before you do yourself some lasting damage - you're massively under eating

Got it, it's because all my friends tell me "burn more than what you eat" I even had one person tell me 1500 cals is too much for me! But I've lost 16 lbs so far so I outta be doing something right
  • samanthajoeaguero1015
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    At 1200 calories, what is your overall deficit? To answer you question, it sounds like this does not happen often, if that is the case don't overthink it, go back to your 1200 calories tomorrow, especially if you are saying you are usually under, for the week you will still be in a deficit so I would not worry about it.
    I'm not sure what my deficit is tbh. I know I was eating way more than 2000 to probably around 3500. Now that I count my cals it's crazy to think I would eat 600-1000 cal dishes and what not

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Nothing... eat at 1200.

Got it, it's because all my friends tell me "burn more than what you eat" I even had one person tell me 1500 cals is too much for me! But I've lost 16 lbs so far so I outta be doing something right

What are your current stats (height, weight, age, activity level)?
    How much weight are you trying to lose total?
    What rate of loss did you select in MFP?
    What calorie target did MFP provide (1200?)
    Are you exercising?
    Are you eating back exercise calories?
    How quickly did you lose the 16 lbs?

It is true that to lose weight you have to eat less than you burn. However, that includes the calories you burn from being alive, your daily activity, and your exercise. All that adds up to your TDEE. Eating below that amount, will result in weight loss. When you set up MFP, and entered your stats and goal, it gave you a calorie target that if you do no exercise at all, and eat that amount, you should lose weight at the rate you selected.

Keep in mind that losing weight as fast as possible is not always the best thing. There are adverse effects including loss of lean body mass, hair loss, fatigue, brittle nails, sallow skin - that result from consistently eating at an aggressive deficit and below the minimum recommended calorie level.

• samanthajoeaguero1015
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

If 1200+500 is under your maintenance calories.....you still have an overall deficit. 1200 is just a default minimum, so you likely still have a deficit anyway. Lots of women eat more than 1200 on a regular basis and still lose weight.

Instead of risking going over here and there - maybe take a second look at 1200. Is it too restrictive? Perhaps settle on something a little bit higher. That might make consistency easier. Another method is calorie zig-zagging. Keeping your calories lower a few days a week to allow for more breathing room the rest of the week. My problem was weekends....now I eat at maintenance those days.
    I've been looking into that actually, I've seen posts about this on Twinbody.
  • samanthajoeaguero1015
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Nothing... eat at 1200.

Are you exercising?

It is true that to lose weight you have to eat less than you burn. However, that includes the calories you burn from being alive, your daily activity, and your exercise. All that adds up to your TDEE. Eating below that amount, will result in weight loss. When you set up MFP, and entered your stats and goal, it gave you a calorie target that if you do no exercise at all, and eat that amount, you should lose weight at the rate you selected.

Keep in mind that losing weight as fast as possible is not always the best thing. There are adverse effects including loss of lean body mass, hair loss, fatigue, brittle nails, sallow skin - that result from consistently eating at an aggressive deficit and below the minimum recommended calorie level.
    I am 5'2, 144, 20 yrs old and I would say I'm active. I work out 2-4 times a week. I do body pump 2-3x a week. MGP had gave me the calorie goal 1250 if I wanted to lose 2lbs per week. I usually eat back 100-250 cals after a work out
  • samanthajoeaguero1015
    Options

Nothing... eat at 1200.

Are you exercising?

I started working out February 26th. So 2 months I suppose.

• WinoGelato
    Options

Nothing... eat at 1200.

Are you exercising?

I am 5'2, 144, 20 yrs old and I would say I'm active. I work out 2-4 times a week. I do body pump 2-3x a week. MGP had gave me the calorie goal 1250 if I wanted to lose 2lbs per week. I usually eat back 100-250 cals after a work out

How much weight are you aiming to lose? Likely less than 50 lbs, and maybe around 25 lbs? If so, 2 lbs/week is not an appropriate goal for you. 1 lb/week, or even 0.5 lb/week is a more appropriate goal to help preserve lean body mass and avoid some of those other negative effects mentioned.

Back to your original question about eating over your goal one day, if you are currently set to 2 lb/week then you have a 1000 cal deficit built in to your day. Eating 500 over goal means you are still at a deficit, and actually, at the maximum deficit you should be aiming for to achieve 1 lb/week weight loss.

No adjustment needed tomorrow other than maybe continuing to eat around the same amount as you did today.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Nothing... eat at 1200.

Are you exercising?

Given your stats, your body is already burning something like 1950-2050 calories per day. You have to take all of those calories you burn just being alive into account when people tell you to "burn more than you eat."
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Hi,

For what it's worth...we have similar stats except I am older than you.

I lose weight at 1650 calories per day...half a pound a week deficit.

That might be more sustainable for you.
  • samanthajoeaguero1015
    Options

Nothing... eat at 1200.

Are you exercising?

How much weight are you aiming to lose? Likely less than 50 lbs, and maybe around 25 lbs? If so, 2 lbs/week is not an appropriate goal for you. 1 lb/week, or even 0.5 lb/week is a more appropriate goal to help preserve lean body mass and avoid some of those other negative effects mentioned.

Back to your original question about eating over your goal one day, if you are currently set to 2 lb/week then you have a 1000 cal deficit built in to your day. Eating 500 over goal means you are still at a deficit, and actually, at the maximum deficit you should be aiming for to achieve 1 lb/week weight loss.

No adjustment needed tomorrow other than maybe continuing to eat around the same amount as you did today.

I'm trying to lose 25lbs by July
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Nothing... eat at 1200.

Are you exercising?

July 2018?
  • samanthajoeaguero1015
    Options

Nothing... eat at 1200.

Are you exercising?

July 2018?
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Nothing... eat at 1200.

Are you exercising?

July 2018?

Yeah that's not healthy or reasonable. 25 lbs in 2 months... What's the rush?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Nothing... eat at 1200.

yes you are 'right' in that you are in a massive calorie deficit... not healthy or sustainable though