Healthy Thai Food Choices?

Options
lecheri
lecheri Posts: 1 Member
Made plans with friend to celebrate his birthday by going out for Thai food since that is what he wants. I really don't want to go over 700 calories for a meal. So any suggestions on what I can order that is healthy and satisfying? Thank you!

Replies

• nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Green Papaya Salad? I'm not sure. I recently went out for Thai food and got Basil Eggplant, but even so I found it kind of greasy when it came out.... Maybe call the restaurant and ask some questions. Ask what they have that isn't fried, etc? Ask if they have any dishes they know are low-calorie? Some thai restaurants have an appetizer called "summer rolls" which are steamed, not fried, so that might be a good choice. You can limit or skip the rice to save calories of course. And there's always the option to divide your food and ask for a "doggy bag" right away and then only eat half.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Tom Yum soup might be an option...as it isn't coconut milk based like the curries.

Som Tom aka Papaya salad might be another option as noted above.

Some places have grilled meat options or you can get the satay skewers and ask for the sauce on the side. Then you control how much sauce you use.

Larb gai is a minced chicken salad that offers a lot of protein and you can use lettuce leaves to wrap it up like a lettuce wrap.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    In general, the dishes that come with steamed rice on the side let you control the calories a little more than the noodle dishes. Something with a lot of veggies and lean meat/tofu might be good. In any case, I would plan on taking half of it home. Nothing better than leftover Thai food for lunch the next day!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Soup and summer rolls.
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Tom Yum Soup and/or Som Tom as some others have mentioned.

There's generally a spicy seafood salad or a beef salad with onion and lime that I've eaten and not broken the bank with.

Spicy basil chicken is chicken and veggies together. Be judicious about your rice.

The soups with rice noodles will be a little better than those with egg noddles. Portions are usually crazy large so half it or third it.

Thai Food is in my top five favorite types of food. Enjoy!
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Agree with taking half home.
  • Natso29
    Natso29 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Any kind of meat & veggie combo in a chili and basil sauce is stellar and not too bad caloriewise. I usually Get chicken with basil, chili peppers and ginger. Get steamed rice instead of sticky, or just skip rice altogether and eat more veggies.
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Natso29 wrote: »
    Any kind of meat & veggie combo in a chili and basil sauce is stellar and not too bad caloriewise. I usually Get chicken with basil, chili peppers and ginger. Get steamed rice instead of sticky, or just skip rice altogether and eat more veggies.

This.. and see if you can get brown rice and an extra side of steamed veggies and combine them in with the sauce. You'll feel full and not like you held back too much.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    omg i love thai food and i havent eaten it in forever bc I have no self control. I would love to **** up some pad thai right now.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I am on a lowish fat diet and love Thai Food. Starter, chicken satay but just dipping the chicken into a little sauce! Steamed prawn dim sums are good, prawns in rice paper or summer rolls. Main course - I love Jungle curry which is very hot and cooked without coconut, grilled beef yum (salad) is good. I love mussaman curry but tend to cook that at home so that I can control what goes into it! Boiled rice or sticky rice not too bad. Penang and Green curry sadly not for me :-(