Only went over my carbs today my 29g will i still lose weight tomorrow or am I screwed?

Options
Rivvvy
Rivvvy Posts: 63 Member
I'm just over thinking this, but I'm really putting myself down for going over my carbs today. I didn't go over anything else, but is there hope that the scale will go down? I'm so close to being in the 170's (I'm 180.4

Replies

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    We're you over your total maintenance calories? If not then no. even if so, one time is not a difference maker either. Macros are for fine tuning and feeling full. No one macro in itself causes fat gain.
  • Rivvvy
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    I go over my carbs daily and iv lost 100 pounds in under a year so.... Your fine and definatly overthinking. I am leanest when i overeat carbs by alot XD

Really!! Yay!!! Congrats on the weightloss loss. I almost just stress ate some ice cream cake, but I won't!
  • Rivvvy
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    We're you over your total maintenance calories? If not then no. even if so, one time is not a difference maker either. Macros are for fine tuning and feeling full. No one macro in itself causes fat gain.

I'm actually 5 calories below ha.
    Ok thank you so much for the reassurance
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Calories are king for weight loss. As long as you hit your calorie goals then you should lose weight (assuming no medical conditions, obviously).

Macro goals (carbs/fat/protein) can help with health, energy levels, mood, satiety, and other things. But it's important to keep in mind that MFP's default goals for this are just one possible suggestion. They're a guideline, not a rule. You can eat in a lot of different macro splits and still be healthy and happy. It's okay to eat in a different way if it works better for you.

Exactly this, OP. Keto is just one of several strategies out there to keep you at a caloric deficit; don't worry if you go a little over on macros.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    You won't gain fat. Sometimes eating more carbs than normal can make your body hold onto a little extra water weight for a short time.

If that happened, you might see a little higher scale reading than you expect for a day or two, but it wouldn't be fat gain.

I suspect that 29 grams isn't enough to make that kind of difference, but thought I'd mention it, just in case you see a tiny scale jump - don't want you to doubt what folks are telling you here, 'cause it's right!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Do you mean you only eat 29 g/day and you went over that? By how much?

If you eat 29 g/day in order to be in ketosis and you went enough over that enough to be out of ketosis, yes, it is possible you will weigh up tomorrow. I always did any time I was attempting the VLC route and something like this happened. It isn't definite but it is as likely as not. Ask on any LC forum to confirm people's individual experiences with this.

You will need to get back into ketosis to drop the water if this is the way it goes for you.

This is reason number nine thousand and three that I hated LCing.

Now if you're not LCing and that 29 was a typo, or you only went over BY 29 grams from like 125, 150 or whatever on an average day, no, it isn't likely you will weigh up tomorrow just from that.
  • syousaf571
    syousaf571 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    carbs are good for you, they give you energy; nothing bad about them (refined carbs are not so good though when eaten excessively though). When it comes to weight loss, it is all just about the calories.
  • Rivvvy
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Do you mean you only eat 29 g/day and you went over that? By how much?

If you eat 29 g/day in order to be in ketosis and you went enough over that enough to be out of ketosis, yes, it is possible you will weigh up tomorrow. I always did any time I was attempting the VLC route and something like this happened. It isn't definite but it is as likely as not. Ask on any LC forum to confirm people's individual experiences with this.

You will need to get back into ketosis to drop the water if this is the way it goes for you.

This is reason number nine thousand and three that I hated LCing.

Now if you're not LCing and that 29 was a typo, or you only went over BY 29 grams from like 125, 150 or whatever on an average day, no, it isn't likely you will weigh up tomorrow just from that.

I don't do keto?
    I eat 149g carb a day I'm pretty sure and I went over it 29g.
    Thank you!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    If you ate whatever you figure is too many carbs ... maybe you'll lose weight ... maybe you won't.

If you ate hardly any carbs ... maybe you'll lose weight ... maybe you won't.

Stay under your calories. Some days you'll lose weight ... some days you won't. But the general trend should be down.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    If you ate whatever you figure is too many carbs ... maybe you'll lose weight ... maybe you won't. If you ate hardly any carbs ... maybe you'll lose weight ... maybe you won't.

Stay under your calories. Some days you'll lose weight ... some days you won't. But the general trend should be down.

QFT

Stay under your TRUE MAINTENANCE calories.
    Some days you'll lose weight ... some days you won't.
    But the general trend will be down.

Your expectation that you will lose weight every day is unrealistic because of how human bodies and water retention for a variety of reasons some of which have nothing to do with calories work.

Start using a trending weight program or app.
    And look at your longer term trend instead of day to day fluctuations.
  • Rivvvy
    Options
    180.4 this morning