What kind of impact does getting up early have on you?

Options

Replies

• jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i usually get up at 4.30,cause i have to be at work at 6.i would not do this by choice, as i really really like sleep.going to bed at 20.30 while it's still daylight outside is not really great either,but if i don't, i don't get enough sleep.Aside from feeling tired later in the day, i haven't noticed any other side effects.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm up between 4 and 5 most days, depends if I am doing a morning workout or not, plus I have an hour commute to work so if I want decent parking, earlier the better - but we also have a 24hour gym at work, which helps
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    My routine has gradually evolved to the point where I now get up at 4am on weekdays.

- 4:00 am: get up feed dogs, take them out, make coffee, have a small snack
    - 5:00 am: Lift weights in my basement + short run MTuThF, or Wed longer run outside (or on basement treadmill if I must)
    - 6:30 am: shower/dress
    - 7:00 am: get kids up and ready for school
    - 7:45 am: off to work
    - 10:00 am: Full breakfast at work

The key to making it work is a good bedtime routine. I prep my breakfast & lunch and lay out my workout clothes and work clothes the night before.

I love this routine because my evenings and weekends are free for kid's school activities and social events so I don't have to constantly try to figure out how to schedule my workouts. Nobody ever asks you to do anything or schedules a band concert at 5 am!

Again, this was a gradual evolution. About 2 years ago I got up at 5am, walked for 30-40 minutes and didn't eat at all until 10-11 am. I generally had my biggest meal in the evening when I was hungriest. Harder/longer am workouts have gradually made me hungrier in the am and my smallest meal tends to be in the evening now.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options

-Does getting up earlier cause you to eat more, because you are awake more hours of the day?

No. I fast aside from 2 oz of milk with coffee from 3:30 am -11 am. I've never eaten before 10:30 am even when I was 220 lbs Intermittently Fasting fits my normal eating habit. If fasting for 16 hours a day doesn't fit your lifestule then don't try it. Its easy form me. Eating at 6 am and feeling sick all morning was hard but everyone said don't skip breakfast. I have breakfast at 11 am.

-Do you get more done?

Absolutely, I cook breakfast every morning, Prep my meals and snacks for the day, and go to the gym all before 8:30 am. I'm thinking of Studying for my CPT in the morning since I have about an hour I don't really use for anything other than watching the news.

-What have been the pros and cons for you?

Pro getting stuff done early even on the weekends when I wake at 5 am instead of 3 am, Cons waking up in the 3 o'clock hour. I am not a morning person. I used to wake at 6:45-7:00am to head to work at 8:30 am!!!! what was I thinking lol

-Are you more organised?
    It really depends, I can be an utter slob if my mood is bad. I can wake up early and still be lazy. Being organized and getting things done takes effort wether you rise early or late.

I was thinking of spending an hour in reflection/prayer, an exercising, and the rest of the time doing chores.

This sounds like a great idea

Does anyone fast until a normal breakfast time of say 7:30am, or do you eat as soon as you wake up

Yes
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 6 even though I don't have class till 9:30. It gives me an hour to lay in bed and catch up on emails and check social media. Then I workout 7-8. Then I have plenty of time to slowly get ready and enjoy a long shower and breakfast. I enjoy not having stressed mornings. It has also helped me with self dicsipline. I don't nap anymore. If I forget a homework assignment, I have ample time in the mornings to do it too!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I usually get up at 5:15 AM. I get dressed, walk the dogs, catch up on news online, and then go for a run. I only eat after I've showered and at that point it's pretty close to the time I would have eaten if I only got up with enough time to get ready for work so it doesn't make me eat more throughout the day.

I get a *lot* more done this way. I love not having to rush in the morning. The extra time means that I can always sit down to eat breakfast and I also have time to prepare a nice lunch to take to work. By the time I've gotten to work, I have already read the news and had a good workout so I feel like I'm ahead of the day. Once I got consistent with my bedtime, I found that I can wake up just about the same time on weekends without using an alarm. This was especially great when I was training for a marathon last summer -- I got my long run and trip to the Farmer's Market done before it got really hot.

The cons -- sometimes my husband wants to stay up late to watch a movie on the weekends and I'm just too tired, I can't do it. He's a good sport about it though.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm usually up at 5 because I have work at 7 (damn hour commute)...doesn't really affect my meals cause I don't usually eat breakfast til 930-10am anyway. I love it, I've always been a morning person...the only bad part is being done for the night at like 9pm lol
  • JeffreyOC
    JeffreyOC Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Used to love sleeping in. Then got a job where I have to be up early. So on days off I'm up at at it by like 8, I have the whole day ahead of me, plus at night I'm ready to sleep.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been getting up at 6 most days- It means I'm in and out of the gym before 8.30am. I quite actually like it and it makes me feel better for the rest of the day.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I am thinking of starting my day at 5am.

-Does getting up earlier cause you to eat more, because you are awake more hours of the day?
    -Do you get more done?
    -Are you more organised?

I was thinking of spending an hour in reflection/prayer, an exercising, and the rest of the time doing chores.

Does anyone fast until a normal breakfast time of say 7:30am, or do you eat as soon as you wake up?

I don't regularly wake up at 5 am. Sometimes I do. Just depends. Today I am up early because I was coughing and the cat was racing around at 5 am.

I eat around the same times of day even if I get up at 5 am or 7 am. It helps me to stick to an eating schedule even if my wake/sleep time can vary a bit. I am generally up by 7 am and go to bed 10-midnight.
    I eat 8 am breakfast, noon lunch, 3-4 pm snack, 6 pm dinner, 8-9 pm snack

Sometimes I get more done when I am up early. I tend to be a morning or late night person.
    Sometimes I just take a long bath or read uninterrupted if I get up early.
    No change in organization I guess.
    Cons- other people are sleeping
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options

Getting up early makes me tired and crabby and grouchy and not pleased with the world in general.

I feel sick and disoriented and having difficulty functioning.

But I feel good and do well at midnight. :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I work 6-2:30 at least twice a week and 4-12:30 once a week. On those days I wake up at 4:45 and 3 respectively, but I lay in bed for a bit before I get up and get ready. When I started I would have a banana or a protein bar on my way to work, but now I find it easier to wait until my lunch break to eat anything.

But my days off? I'm in bed until at least 9:30.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Getting up early makes me tired and crabby and grouchy and not pleased with the world in general.

I feel sick and disoriented and having difficulty functioning.

But I feel good and do well at midnight. :)
    4ee977f3e28b80287c983fe7acae6fd5.jpg

f177b1cbd845b67d23efa5d3ff5a7c72.jpg

LOL+morning+at+noon.png

:grin:
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of starting my day at 5am.

-Do you get more done?
    -Are you more organised?

Does anyone fast until a normal breakfast time of say 7:30am, or do you eat as soon as you wake up?

I get up at 4:45.
    It doesn't cause me to eat more. I fast until 11 or 12. I can see how it could, but you're also probably going to go to sleep sooner.
    I get more done because I get to work an hour early, therefore am allowed to leave a little earlier and overall, I have a half hour less of my day spent out of the house after I train.
    Cons-Extreme fatigue (but my job is stressful), crankiness, in the winter I did not see the daylight, I ha
    te going to bed early
    Pros-I get up earlier on the weekend and still feel like I slept in.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    What some of you are calling "early" I call "the middle of the night." Sometimes I get up at 4:00. Then I pee and go back to bed. Started when I turned 40 or so.

When I do get up early (like today - 7:00 AM on a Saturday!!!) I get a lot done at first, but then I'm ready to collapse by mid-afternoon, so it's a wash. On a normal day, my most productive hours tend to be 8:00 PM to midnight.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    What some of you are calling "early" I call "the middle of the night." Sometimes I get up at 4:00. Then I pee and go back to bed. Started when I turned 40 or so.

When I do get up early (like today - 7:00 AM on a Saturday!!!) I get a lot done at first, but then I'm ready to collapse by mid-afternoon, so it's a wash. On a normal day, my most productive hours tend to be 8:00 PM to midnight.

Yeah. 7 is a luxury. That's sleeping in for me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Here I am at 5am on Sunday morning being mighty productive... reading mfp and drinking my coffee, and patting my cat who is glued to my lap, this is my morning ritual 7 days a week :lol: I just love the peace and quiet of this time of day.
    I guess the odd thing is that i don't have to get up this early as i don't work, it's just become my bodies natural rhythm. I dont particularly enjoy getting up super early in winter, but i love, love, love early summer mornings.

The only downer is i can forget about watching the end of any movies i start watching in the evenings because i ALWAYS fall asleep half/quarter way through!
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I get up around 5 and workout for 45 minutes - an hour. I can't eat right after my workouts so I shower and get ready for work then actually eat around 8am. I don't usually have an issue staying in my calories though. After dinner and cleanup I usually have a cup of herbal tea and a small treat while watching some TV and that is kind of my routine I've developed and I just don't get hungry or want to munch after that.