Would you say something?

Options

Replies

• KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I think I'd let it be. If she wants advice, she'll ask.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Send her the link for MFP...

I did this for someone at work who commented on my weight loss and complained that she couldn't seem to lose any just about every day.

Finally after that had been going on for months, I sent her a link to MFP and simply said that it helped me.

She has commented on my weight loss and complained that she can't seem to lose only a few times since.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother. It would be a waste of breath/time/effort. People have to figure it out for themselves.

I've lost count of the number of people who have asked me how I've lost weight and immediately lost interest once counting calories enters the conversation.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    In most circumstances, unless asked, do not offer advice.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I'd never offered advice unless asked. What did happen though as people started to notice my weightloss that
    1 people would come to me and ask
    2 people were told 'if she can; you can!' and/or 'Talk to her' She/her being me
    3 one also got told to stop whining and do 'like she did" pointing at me (highly embarrassing for both of us).

I told many people about MFP and that all I did was eat less and count calories when they asked. Out of those only three that I know of took my advice and either joined here or found an alternative and went ahead.

So no don't give advice, lead by example and wait until she asks or somebody tells her. Then still no guarantee that she will take that advice.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well is she complaining to you specifically? You're not really friend with her so it's not like you'd have anything to lose if you just mentioned that you've lost weight using MFP. You could play the naive card and say something like 'before I started logging, I never realized how many calories are even in healthy foods!'.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    If you're at work I would mind my own business.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Hell no, I would not say a word. Not a word. I have had people come to me and ask what I did to lose weight and then I told them but I would never in a million bajillion years say anything in the situation that you are describing. Her complaints about not losing weight would go in one ear and out the other for me.

This.

She might go back to complaining about not losing weight after day 3.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    In most cases, no I wouldn't... I don't like people that well.

But at some point the constant complaining would get to me, so I'd probably drop a blunt but not insulting comment about the importance of how much she eats vs what she eats. Also, if saying something is going to suddenly make us BFFs, or make the workplace awkward, then no I wouldn't.
  • BrutalMeHonest
    BrutalMeHonest Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If she says something around you again, I'd mention MFP. People don't want unsolicited advice, but offering something without being preachy like "hey I use this website, it helps me track my portions and I had no idea I was eating too many calories in a day!" could just... be helpful. I've always been obese and fit people have taken it upon themselves to constantly offer me advice. Sometimes it was appreciated (hey have you tried using almond milk instead of 2% milk?) and sometimes it was just mean, and they knew it was mean.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I only give advice to people that will act on it. Ask if she wants help and if she'll do what you suggest...if not, forget it. People need their own motivation. With the internet, all the info I have is available to everyone else so there's no excuse to be ignorant. If you want guidance though, I'll happily help.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Usually people just like to complain so unless she asks what you did say nothing she obviously does not want tohear it.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Unless she comes up to you and asks HOW you've been losing weight, stay out of it. And even then, answer knowing your advice won't be appreciated.

Someone at my office recently asked me how I was losing weight, and I mentioned MFP.
    Her response: You mean you have to log EVERYTHING you eat???
    My response: Why, yes. But its not that bad. Everything is in the database.
    Her response: Well, you have it easy. You don't have THIS ISSUE and THAT ISSUE wrong with you.
    My response: Other people have those issues. You should check the community forums to find people with similar health issues. They've found work-arounds.

At that point, I shrugged and walked away. She wanted a magic bullet, not a logical solution.

P.S., I have my own health issues... MFP still works.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Print out the chart and leave it on her desk when she's not around. ;)
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    When she is about to eat, say really loud "that's why you will always be fat".

Or just let her be. If people don't want advice, they don't ask for advice.

Absolutely do NOT do this. First of all, it's rude. Second, you will be in trouble if she decides to report you to HR.

IMO it depends on just how close you are to this coworker. I sometimes discuss diet options with a couple of my coworkers, but they're also friends of mine. Not sure if I would bring it up with 'acquaintance' coworkers (unless asked).

If you do bring it up, do it casually rather than be a Second Coming of Calorie Counting Evangelist, if you know what I mean. No matter if you're doing calorie counting, low carb, no sugar, whatever, it's really unsettling when people are too into pushing their particular dietary habits on others. Also, if you decide to bring it up, bring it up only once.

I get how frustrating it can be when someone else is having a problem and you're thinking "But I know the answer!", but they don't follow your advice. But it does happen a lot and you just have to accept it. Example: I have a coworker who is terrible with his money and is loaded down with debt. I know what I would do if I was in his shoes, which is stop spending so much money (hundred of dollars) on collectibles each month. And stop driving in the carpool lane, which means he gets traffic tickets all the time (which he also complains about). It is sooo frustrating that he won't take anyone's advice, but he won't and that's the way it is.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Totally wouldn't say a word since she's not an actual friend, plus it's your work environment.

When I was really heavy, I talked about how I was unable to lose weight so people would know I WANTED to lose weight. I did it so they didn't think I thought it was okay to be overweight. But I knew I had to eat less in order to lose. Period. I can't even imagine there's anyone on earth who doesn't know that. :)

She probably is fully aware of at least this very basic fact, unless she's been living under a rock until yesterday or so, and just doesn't want to be seen as that woman who "looooooooooves [her] curves!" and "owns it!" because she's embarrassed...that's just my guess.