I'm developing an unhealthy habit where I don't eat all day to save calories for later.

Options

Replies

• megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It's good that you are noticing this pattern and keeping an eye on it.

As others are saying, it's probably not a big deal as long as you aren't making yourself feel like *kitten* and you aren't binging on complete junk. That said, for me, that was how severe undereating started.

I would save cals for the evening so I could eat junk food w/friends or drink, and then sometimes my plans would change or I just wouldn't end up eating that much for whatever reason, but I wouldn't account for the deficit post-social gathering. In college, banking calories became a daily thing instead of a now-and-then, thing, and things really got out of hand for me.

So, obviously I avoid banking cause I know for me, it's not ideal. But if it works for you and you can keep it in check, I'd say it's probably fine.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time and it seems like the norm.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    This sounds like an addiction to calorie banking to me. You gotta deal with it

it sounds like intermittent fasting to me.

You know, it does sound like IF.

• LaurenGetsFit2
    LaurenGetsFit2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So long as you're eating the same Calories/macros within the 24-hour period, it doesn't *really* matter when you eat them. But I don't know that I'd eat them all at once haha; maybe over the course of several hours. But that's the basis for Intermittent Fasting (IF). But if you choose to save most of your Calories for later so you can truly enjoy what you're going to eat, I don't see an issue with it. If you're losing or gaining weight (whatever your goal is) at a healthy rate and nothing else is suffering for your new habits, I'd say keep going.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I do that almost every day, what's unhealthy about budgeting calories for your preferred eating time?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Sounds a lot like IF which I've tried and did horrible with.

If I know I'm going to have something going on...party, bbq, celebration, etc I typically won't go the route of just eating veggies all day, but I usually will have a lighter day food wise and may skip breakfast and go with a lite lunch...stuff like that.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You're just doing intermittent fasting, there's nothing unhealthy about it! It's actually great for your body to go through periods of not eating to increase autophagy - basically dead cells get cleaned up and dumped out of your body, decreasing the chance of free radicals.

Eating once a day has a few names, one of them is "Warrior Diet". If you google that you'll see many people do it with great success.

I personally following a 16:8 schedule - meaning I fast for 16 hours and eat within a 8 hour window. This is a fancy way of saying I skip breakfast. I eat lunch at noon then dinner around 6pm, then don't eat again till the next day.

Works great for me, and I love having a big filling dinner every night.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I can't do the intermittent fasting thing because of my hypoglycemia (I get shaky, headaches and nauseated if I don't eat for several hours) but good on you if you can! I bank my calories all week so I have more wiggle room on weekends though!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you mean. Some days I religiously watch my intake so closely that by the time I get home from work at 8pm I'm hit with a truckload of calories I need to eat so I don't lose any potential gains that day. But when I get the rationing just right I can enjoy a healthy amount of evening snacks and desserts. Love it. A successful diet/maintence is all about satiety to me. I ate 1000 calories by lunch yesterday (treated myself to mac and cheese) and I was starving all afternoon. Today I had 2 cod cakes and a large helping of steamed broccoli and cauliflower and I'm not hungry at all even though the calories are wayyyy less!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I can't do the intermittent fasting thing because of my hypoglycemia (I get shaky, headaches and nauseated if I don't eat for several hours) but good on you if you can! I bank my calories all week so I have more wiggle room on weekends though!

I do this sometimes too, like, eat a little less friday and saturday to eat more on sunday. Or in reality, eat too much on friday then eat less saturday and sunday :lol:
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I need to start eating celery and other raw vegetables to hold myself over. I don't know why, but I didn't see how easy the solution was until I started posting this thread. .... So asking, brought me to my own answer! Celery, cucumbers, zucchini, etc, it is! Fiberous, refreshing, and delicious! Just realizing I had a jar of kimchi I could have brought to work too.

Does anyone else find themselves playing games with what they eat so they can eat what they "really want" later ?

IF. I don't eat until a little later in the day. You're all good. It's not bad/unhealthy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    Options
    I thought you only drank your soylent meals?

M-Fri at work because I don't have time to meal prep. I cook my kitten off on the weekends and usually friday evening. Lately I've been forgoing my normal shakes to fatten up my prebed snack, but getting through the gym and taekwondo becomes a challenge without the calories.

The other day I forwent my shakes because I knew I had lenny and larry's muscle brownies and buffbake snicker doodle nut butter at home.... <_<

If you regularly let it drive down your TDEE (by under-fueling your workouts to the point of less energy/enthusiasm), IMO you're at the point where it's becoming dysfunctional behavior. It's possible that something fast-carb-y shortly before the workout could counter that somewhat without adding a huge number of calories.

For my taste, missing solid macros to fill up on treats is also dysfunctional, if it happens with any kind of frequency. Not sure whether you're seeing that happen, or not, from what you've said.

P.S. I don't really see how eating stuff all day, even low calorie stuff, is IF - eating is now the same as fasting? But who cares, really . . . .
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting works like that. I did it for years and only recently switched for medical reasons. I would eat a small snack at 2-3pm and most of my calories at dinner. It isn't unhealthy unless you aren't meeting your calorie and nutritional goals.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

P.S. I don't really see how eating stuff all day, even low calorie stuff, is IF - eating is now the same as fasting? But who cares, really . . . .

No, you're right, it isn't...but who said that? I think the OP said he usually doesn't eat at all until a certain point? I will re-read the thread as I might have missed something.

OP said he forewent the shakes (on the post you're quoting), which means he didn't have them...?

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

No, you're right, it isn't...but who said that? I think the OP said he usually doesn't eat at all until a certain point? I will re-read the thread as I might have missed something.

OP said he forewent the shakes (on the post you're quoting), which means he didn't have them...?

The comment about IF was not Deeply Serious. It sounded like some might be comparing his veggie-eating fest to IF.

But yes, I read him as saying he skipped the shakes and (possibly then, possibly other times - unclear) it was challenging to get through the gym and taekwando. That part of my comment was serious. Under-fueling a workout can be a problem. Not life-threatening, typically, but maybe leading to lower calorie burn from the workout and/or slower progress, if it's more than a rare occurrence.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Today I had what I really wanted before 8 a.m. and now I'm trying to IF the rest of the day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Really it's only "unhealthy" if you malnourished. If not, don't worry.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You're not alone. Lately, I have been skipping breakfast so I can have Halo Top ice cream at night. Half the pint (and occasionally the whole thing). I'm not much of a breakfast eater anyway, so it works for me. :-D