Working out / Calories added back

Options
When I workout and put it in and then my calories remaining changes will I still lose weight if I eat all the calories that it says I have available. Shouldn't I stick with the original calorie count and then I would lose weight?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If your calorie goal comes from MFP, it puts you at a deficit before any exercise is done. Eating back exercise calories simply returns you to your original deficit.

Assuming you have a correct estimate for your calories in and calories out, you will still lose weight eating back your exercise calories and eating them back will help you meet your nutritional needs, maintain energy, potentially avoid cravings, and prevent harmful side effects of too-rapid weight loss (muscle loss, hair loss, gall bladder problems, etc).
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Do you think MFP is really trying to sabotage you or trick you? That would be a horrible business plan. MFP adds those in because you are expected to eat them. If you don't think they're accurate then eat at least a portion of them. When you don't eat them back you create a bigger deficit than necessary. Sure you'll lose more but you might also sacrifice some nutritional needs, lean muscle, etc. The point is to lose weight in a healthy sustainable way.
  • razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    depending on where your exercise numbers come from they may be off so most tend to eat back a portion of them but not all I believe
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    ^ This. Calorie trackers from exercise are notoriously inaccurate so many ppl only eat back 50-70%, just to be on the safe side. Though others eat back 100% of the exercise calories with no problem.