• lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Still makes a good salad dressing :p
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    And makes your hair nice and soft and shiny

makes me wonder if it would work on dog fur as well???
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    It's also wonderful on pulled pork!
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

I fostered a dog once and he was extra smelly so I used to make his own shampoo and added vinegar to it. It worked great... until it lightened his fur over time. They weren't too happy with me. Oops.

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Hoshiko wrote: »

I fostered a dog once and he was extra smelly so I used to make his own shampoo and added vinegar to it. It worked great... until it lightened his fur over time. They weren't too happy with me. Oops.

What else did you put into the shampoo? My parents' dog also tends to smell pretty badly at times and I know no one would mind if she were a bit lighter in color... :wink:
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

What else did you put into the shampoo? My parents' dog also tends to smell pretty badly at times and I know no one would mind if she were a bit lighter in color... :wink:

in for dog shampoo recipes.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    It's also wonderful on pulled pork!

Even better combined with bacon to make a hot dressing for fresh spinach
  • earlnabby
    Options

in for dog shampoo recipes.

Be really, really careful if you want to add any fragrance or essential oils. Many of them are toxic to dogs and cats if they lick their fur.

On the other hand, almond extract mixed in water works better than anything else to get skunk smell off of a curious dog's fur. . . even when they get a full blast to the face.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I used Dr. Bronner's as shampoo and diluted ACV as a conditioner for a year and my hair looked amaaaaaaazing. The only reason I stopped was because I realized I have a lot of other goos in the house to use up. Also a great salad dressing!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It helps with acid reflux, makes good dressings, and is a good foot softener though.

It helps people who have LOW stomach acid. For people with high(er) stomach acid (like myself) ACV is painful.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    It helps with acid reflux, makes good dressings, and is a good foot softener though.

It helps people who have LOW stomach acid. For people with high(er) stomach acid (like myself) ACV is painful.

It's been the opposite for me. I have acid reflux and was on Prevacid since I was a teenager. About a year ago I started drinking a tablespoon of dr brags acv with some water daily and I almost never need Prevacid anymore.

Wow - that's wierd. Everything I've read says ACV stimulates acid production. Ingesting more acid for high acid relief? I can't take it - it's like my throat is on fire.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/478034-apple-cider-vinegar-benefits-for-acid-reflux/
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Apple cider Vinegar is a great multipurpose household cleaner too.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Sivadee00 wrote: »
    Apple cider Vinegar is a great multipurpose household cleaner too.

I am partial to citric acid. Same cleaning properties without the smell. I LOVE the taste of ACV but hate having to smell it for a day after using it to clean.
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

It was pretty simple as I remember. Basically a mixture of Dawn, ACV, and Glycerin. Worked great. For the first day he smelled a bit like a salad, but after that the clean smell lasted for a long time and he didn't scratch as much.

10/10, would recommend making your own dog shampoos.

Oh! I forgot to add, use less glycerin. Once I used too much and his fur felt a bit sticky. I used to mix it up each time, so ~1/4 a cup of the soap and the ACV and a tablespoon or so of the pure glycerin.
  • shortgirlsneedlovetoo
    shortgirlsneedlovetoo Posts: 4,592 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

It's been the opposite for me. I have acid reflux and was on Prevacid since I was a teenager. About a year ago I started drinking a tablespoon of dr brags acv with some water daily and I almost never need Prevacid anymore.

Same for me
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

Leon, you are as awesome as ever! :)

Wait, foot softener? That's one I haven't heard before... how do you use it?