Pre work out?

Options
What is a good supplement to take as a pre work out to give the boost I need to get going? I was taking amphetalean from body builder.com but it doesn't seem to be the same effects that I got from it before a couple years back. Any suggestions? I just can't stay going when I show up (the few times that I do bc I been slacking so bad) and I need help

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    Cup of strong black coffee.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Most pre-workouts have a lot of caffeine in them. Maybe try coffee or something along those lines first? If you're still set on a pre-workout, C4 has a good and tasty selection. I use their BCAAs (semi-regularly) and love the taste of them.
  • shaybee377
    shaybee377 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Legion Pulse is a little on the expensive side, but it's packed with caffeine and has a very transparent ingredient list! I use the watermelon one, and I only take half a dose at a time.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Figure out why you think you need a pre-workout or any other supplement and attempt to fix the root cause before supplementing.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I started making my own so that I could tailor the dosages and various Ingredients for me. Really been happy with that choice. plus no fillers.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I drink espresso and sometimes have a banana/other fruit.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I like me some Mesomorph. I can't do a "black coffee and a banana" anymore. If you can, more power to you. Keep it up as long as possible.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I don't drink any other caffeine so the V8 fruit juice energy gives me a little boost.
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i drink coffee when i wake up and then if i can i go to the gym while i still have that boost. if it is later in the day i drink green tea.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I like Garden of Life's Energy & Focus. It has coffee berry extract to supply about as much caffeine as a cup of coffee, a big dose of b12, and a blend of fruits and veggies to increase nitric oxide production. I usually buy the sugar-free one since it's lower in calories and because you get an additional 10 servings for the same price.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I like chocolate covered coffee beans.
  • kerwristeajay
    kerwristeajay Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas but the caffeine thing...idk I just feel sometimes like I don't even get anything out of coffee or caffeine. Maybe it's bc I'm so addicted to it and been trying to cut down. Also any suggestions about protein shakes? Meal supplement, before, after, during work out? I'm so lost but really love the Atkins shakes and some snack bars
  • 5Pointzshy
    5Pointzshy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know some of you will want to ignore this, that is your right. From a physiological standpoint, stimulants like caffeine actually hurt you in a cardio workout. They cause your heart rate to elevate quicker. This leads to increased cardiac risk (arrhythmia, demand), as well as a decrease in the intensity of activity you can do before reaching your max heart rate.

For those who are taking them before a lifting workout the same principal applies, but here it is the blood pressure increase from the stimulant that matters. This increase, though small can lead to an increase risk of cardiomyopathy (weightlifter's heart - enlarged heart) especially in those that are genetically predisposed or that do little to no cardio.

As I said in the beginning, its your body, do as you wish. I strongly believe in informed decisions.
  • hulk666
    hulk666 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I actually find that noni juice/apple cider vinegar/lemon juice in water gives me a nice boost for morning cardio.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    hulk666 wrote: »
    I actually find that noni juice/apple cider vinegar/lemon juice in water gives me a nice boost for morning cardio.

That would make me barf. :sick:
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    hulk666 wrote: »

That would make me barf. :sick:

*nod nod* All that acid and liquid wouldn't sit well with me before a workout (not to mention the combo doesn't sound tasty at all)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Black tea with milk and honey and a banana.