Counting coconut oil calories??

Options
Do i need to count 1 tbsp coconut oil calories even tjough if i drink in a glass of water..??

Replies

• rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    yep
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yes. It has calories so you count it. Not sure what water has to do with it.
  • 321sjs
    321sjs Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Count EVERYTHING! 1 tbsp of coconut oil has 130 calories and 14 grams of fat, of that 13 grams are saturated fat. It doesn't really matter how you consume it. If you consume it, count it. Otherwise you could be underestimating your calories and nutrients.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why would you not count it? I don't understand.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Yes....

Where did you hear that calories don't count if you drink water with them?
  • pallavishani
    pallavishani Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thnks alot guys
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Coconut oil doesn't have magical properties but it does have a lot of calories. If you are adding a tbsp of fat to your diet to help you lose weight, my advice would be to stop doing that.
  • marknass
    marknass Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a dumb question -- I am researching this too to add to morning coffee. In some ways, a calorie is a calorie -- but if you are on a regimented calorie count for a diet, I'm not sure you need to cut your meal by 130 in order to account for the fat burning supplement of a Tbl of Coconut oil. Unless you are neurotic, you don't count the calories in your multi-vitamin, fish oil cap, or calcium chew and eat less food because of it. It's claim to fame (if true) is MCT good fats will help your body more efficiently burn and metabolize body fat (and provide energy and brain boost). Too much of anything is bad for you, but I've decided not to count my Tblspoon/day against my food intake.

Im not a nutritionist, but I have lost 85 pounds by counting calories and protein. I can't find anything in writing that says CO can be bad for you -- worst case scenario is that it's bunk science. 130 calories a day isn't going to ruin your objectives.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and use it to pop some popcorn or something. Much tastier! Yes, you have to count the calories either way. Might as well enjoy them :neutral:
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    marknass wrote: »
    I don't think it's a dumb question -- I am researching this too to add to morning coffee. In some ways, a calorie is a calorie -- but if you are on a regimented calorie count for a diet, I'm not sure you need to cut your meal by 130 in order to account for the fat burning supplement of a Tbl of Coconut oil. Unless you are neurotic, you don't count the calories in your multi-vitamin, fish oil cap, or calcium chew and eat less food because of it. It's claim to fame (if true) is MCT good fats will help your body more efficiently burn and metabolize body fat (and provide energy and brain boost). Too much of anything is bad for you, but I've decided not to count my Tblspoon/day against my food intake.

Im not a nutritionist, but I have lost 85 pounds by counting calories and protein. I can't find anything in writing that says CO can be bad for you -- worst case scenario is that it's bunk science. 130 calories a day isn't going to ruin your objectives.

I don't think it's a dumb question. I think it's natural to have all kinds of questions about food and fitness. :) I look at the magazines by the checkout line screaming that some celebrity "lost 15 pounds in a week" and advertising the latest fad diet and I'm not surprised that a lot of the general public is confused or misinformed.

But, the idea that coconut oil miraculously 'burns fat' is not true, it's snake oil.

Multi-vitamins are different because essentially they don't have any calories, or very few calories. Calcium chews have about 15 calories each, average. 130 calories every morning is a big difference from 15 calories!

BTW, here is an article about coconut oil that cites studies and sources.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1799
    Many people who make positive health claims about coconut oil are actually using research on medical-grade MCT oil, which is not available as a dominant source of fat in any food. It's true that MCT can be distilled from coconut oil, but it is not the same thing as the coconut oil you buy in a jar at the store. Chemically speaking, these two oils are very different . . . [T]o imply that the research data from a study on MCT also applies to coconut oil is erroneous and a misinterpretation of the data.

• lemurcat12
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I don't think it's a dumb question -- I am researching this too to add to morning coffee.

The original question was a year ago.
    In some ways, a calorie is a calorie -- but if you are on a regimented calorie count for a diet, I'm not sure you need to cut your meal by 130 in order to account for the fat burning supplement of a Tbl of Coconut oil. Unless you are neurotic, you don't count the calories in your multi-vitamin, fish oil cap, or calcium chew and eat less food because of it.

There's a big difference between something that's maybe 5-20 calories and something that's 130.
    It's claim to fame (if true) is MCT good fats will help your body more efficiently burn and metabolize body fat (and provide energy and brain boost).

There's no evidence that 1 TBSP makes any difference in overall metabolism, certainly not enough to counterbalance the calories. Coconut oil in coffee is a thing, of course, but IME people who do it count the calories and intend it to substitute for breakfast (or part of breakfast).
    Too much of anything is bad for you, but I've decided not to count my Tblspoon/day against my food intake.

I don't know what counting calories has to do with whether something is bad for you. I think an avocado is good for you, but I certainly count the calories.
    I can't find anything in writing that says CO can be bad for you -- worst case scenario is that it's bunk science. 130 calories a day isn't going to ruin your objectives.

IMO, coconut oil is just fine for you. I cook with it all the time, and think it is delicious and smells great. I also count the calories, just as I do with olive oil (also not bad for you) and butter (same, in moderation at least). (My metabolism does not seem to vary depending on whether I am using more olive oil, as I did most of my weight loss, or more coconut oil, as I have been lately. Does cooking with it ruin it so that this is not relevant?)

If you are at maintenance or on a narrow deficit, 130 extra calories certainly could be a problem.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't think it's a dumb question -- I am researching this too to add to morning coffee.

D'oh! :grimace:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna just stop counting all oils I use. What's the point?

: insertsarcasm:
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

I assumed you were responding to the poster reviving it!
  • ladonmwilliams
    ladonmwilliams Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Why are you putting oil in water. Are you trying to do Keto or LCHF? If so, you may need to be more concerned about your macro ratios rather that calories. I have to agree, there are tastier ways to knock back coconut oil like in a fat bomb, or in some scrambled eggs...I'm personally not with the popcorn for a multitude of reasons. But, water???? :s ...Don't torture yourself :D
  • pinuplove
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

I assumed you were responding to the poster reviving it!

Sadly, no :blush: I usually check the dates but this one snuck by me.