"You're too skinny." What? Really?!

Options
irxproductions
irxproductions Posts: 28 Member
edited May 2017 in Motivation and Support
I'm a 5'9" average guy who's going to turn 40 in a week, and in the past three years since using MyFitnessPal, I lost 60 pounds, going from 205 to 145 after being diagnosed with metabolic syndrome (pre-diabetic).

Most health sources say that a healthy weight for a guy my size (I'm a small-to-medium frame) is about 140-170, however, when I lost the weight, a lot of people in my life (even my wife) think I'm too skinny, and, worse, have no problem telling me so!

I'm always a little bit shocked because these people would never think of telling someone who's overweight that they're unhealthy. Why is it okay to do the same kind of thing, except to someone who's skinny?

They go as far as to tell me they're actually concerned about my weight and think I'm anorexic or bulimic, which I'm not. I'm no longer in metabolic syndrome, and my doctor thinks the change has been fantastic and I'm perfectly healthy.

So, I was curious - has anyone else who's lost weight had this happen to them? How do you deal with it? What are some great snappy responses?

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    This happened to me he last time I lost a bunch of weight. 5'10" 283 down to 155. I heard it mostly from the people had a few pounds to lose. I think its the personal issues is why they say things. They said it so much and it really got to me. I started stuffing my facing and gained a lot of weight back, and everyone stopped making those comments.
    Ignore them, dont let them get to you. As long as you are healthy is all that matters. Just continue to eat healthy and exercise. eventually they will realize that your are in it for the long haul and will stop
  • irxproductions
    irxproductions Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    This happened to me he last time I lost a bunch of weight. 5'10" 283 down to 155.

Thanks for the great tips and that's an incredible weight loss story! I agree with you - I think it's people who would like to lose weight, too. Usually, I tell them that if they'd like help losing weight, I'm more than happy to share my story and how I did it. ;)

Great job on your own weight loss!
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'9" average guy who's going to turn 40 in a week, and in the past three years since using MyFitnessPal, I lost 60 pounds, going from 205 to 145 after being diagnosed with metabolic syndrome (pre-diabetic).

Most health sources say that a healthy weight for a guy my size (I'm a small-to-medium frame) is about 140-170, however, when I lost the weight, a lot of people in my life (even my wife) think I'm too skinny, and, worse, have no problem telling me so!

I'm always a little bit shocked because these people would never think of telling someone who's overweight that they're unhealthy. Why is it okay to do the same kind of thing, except to someone who's skinny?

They go as far as to tell me they're actually concerned about my weight and think I'm anorexic or bulimic, which I'm not. I'm no longer in metabolic syndrome, and my doctor thinks the change has been fantastic and I'm perfectly healthy.

So, I was curious - has anyone else who's lost weight had this happen to them? How do you deal with it? What are some great snappy responses?

Haha it's been a long time since anyone has said that to me but I do remember how much it hurt. You're not too skinny.. .. they're jealous. End of story. Just smile and shake it off. Their comments say alot more about them than they do about you. I wouldn't waste any time or thought on them xx
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    People who know you for years have an image of what you're 'supposed to' look like and you've changed that, so they don't know how to handle it. They'll get use to the new you and eventually stop commenting. :)

Happy Birthday for next week!!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Yes it has happend and I find that often the people that say it are usually not a healthy weight themselves. For instance; my mum said I getting too skinny when I was still classed as overweight *sigh*
    In the end I had to tell her to back off. That said she was very obese at that stage She said my nephew was a few pounds overweight whereas when joining a gym he was classed as obese. She had no idea anymore what a healthy person looked like.
    These days she decided that if I can do it she can. She lost over 20kg now and finally is seeing the light (more or less) about what healthy weight is.
  • briggsman35
    briggsman35 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's society's current perception of what "normal weight" is...basically, we're just used to this size being normal now, an acceptance and complacency of the way things are. When there are now plus size maniquins in Meijer as well as other stores, it tells you how our society has just accepted this as the new normal. When someone decides to break those chains and lose weight and get to a correct normal weight, people may view this as you have an eating disorder or are sickly or on drugs. I too have had friends and family show concern as well. Education is key, remember, there are still a lot of people out there who just don't know what 'true normal weight' is anymore, much less understand a nutrition label. Talk to them, educate them....you may even inspire them to break their chains as well.