Frustraighted!

Options
:noway:
Okay, I know it was a lot to ask for, but this was my first week and I was really hoping for a big number, you know over 5 lbs. Then I was going to taper down and not expect anything more then the 2 lbs the program expects you to strive for in a week.

I am not exercising as of yet, (I weight to much the doctor says to do anything much right now).

But really only 4 lbs this week. I know I eat more then what I have been eating on a weekly basis and I usually stay the same weight or gain a couple of ounces, but this week I really tried to stay to my calorie count or below!

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Am I just expecting too much??

Replies

• Shuddrbug
    Options
    :noway:
    Okay, I know it was a lot to ask for, but this was my first week and I was really hoping for a big number, you know over 5 lbs. Then I was going to taper down and not expect anything more then the 2 lbs the program expects you to strive for in a week.

I am not exercising as of yet, (I weight to much the doctor says to do anything much right now).

But really only 4 lbs this week. I know I eat more then what I have been eating on a weekly basis and I usually stay the same weight or gain a couple of ounces, but this week I really tried to stay to my calorie count or below!

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Am I just expecting too much??
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    4 lbs is great! You should be proud of yourself.
    I know its hard but you have to patient. It will take time to lose the weight but look how great of a start you've had.

One quick piece of advice - Becareful not to consistently go under in your calories. You want to keep your metabolism up to continue losing weight.

Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • pegm
    pegm Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I agree, 4 lbs. is great for a first week, especially with no exercise. I know it is frustrating when you know you have a long way to go, but the weight didn't go on over night and will not leave without a fight. Keep fighting!!!
  • MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Four pounds is a great accomplishment. This weekend I didn't exercise much so I hope I still lost another pound. It is ok to set high goals but just be patient and go for 2 pounds every week and then if you get more you will be happy and if you get less than 5 you wouldn't be disappointed. Keep up the good work. :drinker:
  • jazzycarolanne
    Options
    You should be very proud of yourself......4 pounds is great!!!! It is a wonderful start. Really any more weight than that is just water and or muscle which is not good at all. Stick to just burning off the fat and you will keep your metabolism up and thus continue to lose. Also that is 4 pounds you are not carrying around......hold up a 4 pound weight and you will see how much is really is. Well done shuttrbug!!!

Carol
  • deb1984
    Options
    :bigsmile: 4 pounds is excellent especially if you cant exercise.
    Welldone!! keep it up
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    It's a really good number :) But I know what you mean....

Make sure to drink a lot of water - the reason you get big number in the beginning is because your body not only drops a few pounds in fat, but also stops retaining water as much :) I once went to see a doctor locally that specialized in Bariatrics and he was expecting 7-10 pounds the first week from me because I was on a supervised low sodium/low fat/low carb diet. After that it would taper off to a pound or 2 a week consistently.

He said I should be drinking about 12 glasses a day for my size in order to get rid of the water weight :smile: I too was told not to do any exercise because of my size so maybe this will work for you too :wink: especially now that I have major joint discomfort and pain overall.

My advice. Don't get hung up on the scale - really. I know it's hard, but I really rely on measurements (taken 2x a month) and the way my clothes feel. I'd rather know that I lost an inch or two over a few pounds any day.
  • laurajane81
    Options
    Hi, ive been using mfp for 3 weeks now and my first weekly weigh in was 4 lbs i was over the moon .4 lbs is great plus no exercise and still a good loss i workout 3-5 times a week with the same loss.... be proud of yourself u have done great :drinker:
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    I have worked my butt off through exercise and sticking to 1200 calories for 7 days straight and have lost nothing! Boy am I mad!!!!! I think I just might cry...:cry:
  • Shuddrbug
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, just think of all the calories you DIDN'T eat this week. Next week will be better, I know it!

Good Luck!!

:flowerforyou:
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    Thanks Shuddrbug! You are right...next week WILL be better:smile: I tell myself that every 2 minutes or so. At least I haven't given up yet. I am actually on phentermine (have been for almost a year) and I know that I need to get off of it. The doctor who prescribed it said I need to be weened off of it, but I'm not sure of he's just trying to squeeze more money ($90/month) out of me, or if it is true. Either way...it's time to stop.